|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4 - 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Ernie Pyle's profession?
(b) Senior enlisted serviceman.
(d) Junior officer.
2. What is unusual about the friendly-fire incident discussed in Chapter 2 and illustrated on page 18?
(a) The bombs were all duds.
(b) It is still denied by military officials to this day.
(c) No one was hurt.
(d) It was covered up.
3. Copies of the New Testament were frequently altered in what way?
(a) By replacing their covers with canvas.
(b) By tearing out the book of Acts.
(c) By adding a steel backing to them.
(d) By dyeing the pages red.
4. Talismans were believed to perform what function?
(a) Bring the soldier luck.
(b) Give the soldier physical strength.
(c) Protect the soldier in combat.
(d) Allow the soldier to recover from wounds.
5. Soldiers were often not given what type of information?
(a) Their location.
(b) Their division.
(c) Their Captain's name.
(d) Their orders.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the author, what belief is typical of younger soldiers and not of older soldiers?
2. In the iconic pre-war image discussed in Chapter 1, what are the soldiers towing?
3. The presentation of the war by state and public media is best described as which of the following?
4. How old were axis soldiers compared to allied soldiers?
5. According to the rumor about servicemen's food, why was a certain substance added to their food?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)