|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4 - 6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the "Unread Books" to which Chapter 5's title alludes?
(a) The lives that dead soldiers never got to experience.
(b) The stories about secret military plans.
(c) The lack of interest most officers had for their men.
(d) The vague orders given to many officers.
2. According to the author, what was the last war in which soldiers were at least theoretically thought of as unique individuals with distinct identities?
(a) The American Civil War.
(b) The Spanish-American War.
(c) World War I.
(d) The Crimean War.
3. What nation does the author believe to have military training particularly suited to the comparison that he draws?
4. According to the author, what belief is typical of younger soldiers and not of older soldiers?
(a) They will survive.
(b) They will almost certainly die.
(c) They do not matter.
(d) They are the best soldiers in the war.
5. Casualties among bombers crews would best be described as which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. The author states that most of the weapons issued to American armed forces suffered from what problems?
2. How important was a rumor's accuracy and predictive success for its tendency to spread?
3. According to one rumor, what substance was added to food served to servicemen?
4. In the iconic pre-war image discussed in Chapter 1, what are the soldiers towing?
5. The author suggests that before the outbreak of war, the American military was prepared for what type of performance?
This section contains 291 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)