Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mencken able to get a taxi driver to drive him to a speakeasy in Pennsylvania?
2. Complete the following aphorism found in "Sententiae": "Democracy is..."
3. Who was Mencken with at a Bach concert in Pennsylvania when he decided to get some liquor?
4. In "The Hills of Zion," why did a woman warn against the reading of books?
5. What aspect of old-time education did Mencken miss most in modern education?
Essay Topic 1
Mencken could be said to operate from an anti-war stance, as in "Star-Spangled Man."
A) How does Mencken make this bias clear? Cite examples from the text.
B) What is Mencken's opinion of World War I? How was the war started? Why might it have been prevented?
C) Is Mencken's anti-war bias explicit or implicit? Cite examples.
Essay Topic 2
Mencken often mentions the idea of an American aristocracy, as in "The National Letters." What could an American aristocracy accomplish, to Mencken's mind? How does Mencken's ideas for the aristocracy relate to his opinions about intellectuals versus common people? What kinds of government systems does he compare the aristocracy to?
Essay Topic 3
Articles such as "Theodore Dreiser" and "Masters of Tone" present Mencken the art critic.
A) What can Mencken's criticisms reveal about his theory of art? Cite specific examples.
B) What can Mencken's criticisms reveal about his own preferences? Can art be objectively excellent, or does it always depend upon the viewer/spectator?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)