Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mencken able to get a taxi driver to drive him to a speakeasy in Pennsylvania?
2. Complete the following aphorism found in "Sententiae": "Democracy is..."
3. Who was Mencken with at a Bach concert in Pennsylvania when he decided to get some liquor?
4. In "The Hills of Zion," why did a woman warn against the reading of books?
5. What aspect of old-time education did Mencken miss most in modern education?
Mencken discussed perfection in "The Good Man," and states that every good quality in a man is balanced by a flaw.
A) Does Mencken feel that perfection is possible? How can "The Good Man" be reconciled with something like "A Glance Ahead," in which Mencken imagines an ideal government?
B) Is there a danger in attempting perfection?
C) What might Mencken say about perfection and its relation to organized religion?
Mencken often commented on political figures, such as in "Pater Patriae" and "Lodge."
A) Discuss two articles in which Mencken seems to have a positive opinion of the political figure. What does Mencken's admiration tell us about Mencken?
B) Discuss two articles in which Mencken displays a negative opinion of the political figure. Similar to A), what does Mencken's criticisms tell us about Mencken?
Religion was the frequent target of Mencken's attacks, such as in "Quid Est Veritas?" and "Holy Writ."
A) Why is religion dangerous, according to Mencken? Cite specific examples in the texts.
B) Can religion be salvaged somehow, to Mencken's mind, or is religion universally bad?
C) Describe fundamentalism, and discuss how fundamentalism factors in to Mencken's religious views.
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)