|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Per "Mr. Justice Holmes," which of the following might Mencken say about the legislature as a state organization?
2. How did Mencken describe the music of Puccini?
3. What was Mencken's opinion of Gothic architecture?
4. What was unique to the American psyche according to Mencken in "Libido for the Ugly"?
5. What was Mencken's current opinion of the American South, as revealed in "The Calamity of Appomattox"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the general features of Anglo-Saxons, according to Mencken in "The Anglo-Saxon"?
2. How was FDR able to win the Democratic National Convention of 1932?
3. What did Mencken feel were the true and most damaging consequences of the Civil War, according to "The Calamity of Appomattox"?
4. Why did Mencken miss corporal punishment in schools in "Travail"?
5. Did Mencken's aesthetics conform to the ideals of the "new architecture"? Explain.
6. What examples did Mencken provide to support his judgment of Anglo-Saxons?
7. For what reasons did Mencken admire Grover Cleveland?
8. What stance did Mencken take in "Mencken's Last Stand"?
9. What was Mencken's opinion of stage acting?
10. What did Mencken conclude about his research into the court cases of Oliver Wendell Holmes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mencken mused about death in "Exeunt Omnes."
A) What was the aspect of death which interested Mencken the most?
B) How might "Exeunt Omnes" help us understand Mencken's anti-war stance? How does Mencken's attitude toward death relate to his anti-war stance?
C) Per Mencken's own apparent attitude, what might Mencken tell his readers is the best attitude to have toward death and mortality?
Essay Topic 2
Democracy was mentioned in "A Blind Spot" and "A Glance Ahead," among other articles. What is Mencken's attitude toward democracy? What are the consequences of a democratic form of government? How does democracy succeed (or fail) because of (or despite) the common people?
Essay Topic 3
"Gore in the Caribees" had Mencken doing some foreign reporting in Cuba.
A) What is Mencken's opinion of the Cuban administration? What is his opinion of the rebellion?
B) What can the incident tell us about Mencken's general opinions about ideal government, and how to rule properly?
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)