Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mencken able to get a taxi driver to drive him to a speakeasy in Pennsylvania?
2. Complete the following aphorism found in "Sententiae": "Democracy is..."
3. Who was Mencken with at a Bach concert in Pennsylvania when he decided to get some liquor?
4. In "The Hills of Zion," why did a woman warn against the reading of books?
5. What aspect of old-time education did Mencken miss most in modern education?
Mencken was interested in reviving an American intellectual movement.
A) Who were the forefathers of this movement? What texts are important?
B) What does Mencken feel is the current state of the American intellectual movement?
C) What can be done to further the movement?
Mencken discussed perfection in "The Good Man," and states that every good quality in a man is balanced by a flaw.
A) Does Mencken feel that perfection is possible? How can "The Good Man" be reconciled with something like "A Glance Ahead," in which Mencken imagines an ideal government?
B) Is there a danger in attempting perfection?
C) What might Mencken say about perfection and its relation to organized religion?
A modern controversy swirled around the issue of whether or not Mencken was a racist.
A) What might the article "Anglo-Saxon" tell us about settling the issue of Mencken's racism?
B) What might the article "The Calamity of Appomattox" tell us about settling the issue of Mencken's racism?
C) How does Mencken's frequent sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek tone complicate this controversy?
This section contains 397 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)