Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mencken able to get a taxi driver to drive him to a speakeasy in Pennsylvania?
2. Complete the following aphorism found in "Sententiae": "Democracy is..."
3. Who was Mencken with at a Bach concert in Pennsylvania when he decided to get some liquor?
4. In "The Hills of Zion," why did a woman warn against the reading of books?
5. What aspect of old-time education did Mencken miss most in modern education?
Essay Topic 1
Mencken was interested in reviving an American intellectual movement.
A) Who were the forefathers of this movement? What texts are important?
B) What does Mencken feel is the current state of the American intellectual movement?
C) What can be done to further the movement?
Essay Topic 2
Mencken mused about death in "Exeunt Omnes."
A) What was the aspect of death which interested Mencken the most?
B) How might "Exeunt Omnes" help us understand Mencken's anti-war stance? How does Mencken's attitude toward death relate to his anti-war stance?
C) Per Mencken's own apparent attitude, what might Mencken tell his readers is the best attitude to have toward death and mortality?
Essay Topic 3
Man-woman relationships were a frequent topic of study, as in "The Art Eternal" and "The Incomparable Buzz-Saw." How does Mencken view the dynamic between men and women? What are the differences between men and women? In what way do men and women engage in courtship?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)