|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mencken's epitaph?
2. What was the subject of the Scopes monkey trial?
3. In "The Hills of Zion," why did a woman warn against the reading of books?
4. Who did Mencken NOT count among the "crackpots" present in "The Wallace Paranoia"?
5. Which of the following describes an Anglo-Saxon soldier, according to Mencken?
Essay Topic 1
Mencken could be said to operate from an anti-war stance, as in "Star-Spangled Man."
A) How does Mencken make this bias clear? Cite examples from the text.
B) What is Mencken's opinion of World War I? How was the war started? Why might it have been prevented?
C) Is Mencken's anti-war bias explicit or implicit? Cite examples.
Essay Topic 2
Beauty and ugliness were topics of the articles "The Lure of Beauty" and "The Libido of the Ugly."
A) How does Mencken define beauty? How is beauty related to art criticism?
B) Is beauty objective or subjective? Cite examples in the text of how Mencken might answer this question.
C) How is beauty related to physical attraction?
Essay Topic 3
"Gore in the Caribees" had Mencken doing some foreign reporting in Cuba.
A) What is Mencken's opinion of the Cuban administration? What is his opinion of the rebellion?
B) What can the incident tell us about Mencken's general opinions about ideal government, and how to rule properly?
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)