Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Mencken able to get a taxi driver to drive him to a speakeasy in Pennsylvania?
2. Complete the following aphorism found in "Sententiae": "Democracy is..."
3. Who was Mencken with at a Bach concert in Pennsylvania when he decided to get some liquor?
4. In "The Hills of Zion," why did a woman warn against the reading of books?
5. What aspect of old-time education did Mencken miss most in modern education?
Essay Topic 1
Man-woman relationships were a frequent topic of study, as in "The Art Eternal" and "The Incomparable Buzz-Saw." How does Mencken view the dynamic between men and women? What are the differences between men and women? In what way do men and women engage in courtship?
Essay Topic 2
A modern controversy swirled around the issue of whether or not Mencken was a racist.
A) What might the article "Anglo-Saxon" tell us about settling the issue of Mencken's racism?
B) What might the article "The Calamity of Appomattox" tell us about settling the issue of Mencken's racism?
C) How does Mencken's frequent sarcasm and tongue-in-cheek tone complicate this controversy?
Essay Topic 3
Quackery was a favorite subject of Mencken's. What is quackery? Why does Mencken mock it? How does quackery relate to ignorance? In Mencken's view, do those who fall victim to quackery "deserve" their fate?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)