|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mencken state about the literary influence(s) of Theodore Dreiser?
(a) Dreiser draws upon the literary tradition of Germany.
(b) Dreiser was the product of Frank Norris.
(c) No one author can be pointed to as an influence.
(d) Dreiser was the product of Emile Zola.
2. What stance can Mencken be said to have taken in "Star-Spangled Man"?
3. What was Mencken's nickname for Chesapeake Bay?
(a) Home of the yummy lobsters.
(b) Crab central.
(c) The big blue.
(d) The protein factory.
4. Which is one of the stated reasons the editor put the volume together?
(a) To fight charges that Mencken was racist.
(b) To expose the corrupt policies of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
(c) To sell books for profit.
(d) To introduce the works of H. L. Mencken to a new generation.
5. Which decade, according to the author, was Mencken at his best?
(a) The 1910s.
(b) The 1920s.
(c) The 1940s.
(d) The 1930s.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the editor of this volume?
2. What human flaw does democracy depend upon, according to Mencken?
3. Which of the following could NOT be used to describe Mencken's tone in "Star-Spangled Man"?
4. What did Mencken, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, feel about the tradition of giving medals in the military?
5. Which was one of Mencken's criticisms for Woodrow Wilson?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between men and women in regards to trust, according to "The Skeptic"?
2. According to Mencken, why do so many people lie?
3. What was the nature of Mencken's first memory, as described in "Introduction to the Universe"?
4. According to Mencken, Theodore Dreiser had what emotional effect on the reader?
5. What was Mencken's opinion about Henry Cabot Lodge?
6. What criticisms did Mencken have for Theodore Dreiser?
7. What circumstances drove Mencken away from attending the Y. M. C. A.?
8. Why was 1880s Baltimore such a loud town?
9. Why did Mencken believe it was advantageous for him to have not attended college?
10. Why do men usually marry women who are "basically hideous"?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)