|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which was NOT a source of loud noise in the Baltimore of the 1880s, according to Mencken?
(a) Children singing and yelling in the streets.
(b) Iron tires hitting hard cobblestone streets.
(c) Barking dogs.
(d) Penny candy vendors hawking their candy.
2. According to "Text for Newspaper Days," what is modern journalism missing?
(a) Proper fact checking.
(b) A carefree nature.
(c) Proper attention to art and art history.
(d) Multiple points of view.
3. According to "Quid Est Veritas?," what kind of religion professes to know God exactly and completely?
(a) American religions.
(b) Perfect religions.
(c) Primitive religions.
(d) Admirable religions.
4. What profession should the truth-teller NOT aspire to, according to Mencken?
(a) The President of the United States.
(b) A jewelry maker.
(c) Owner of a large company.
(d) A bartender.
5. How was Theodore Dreiser like Joseph Conrad, according to Mencken?
(a) Both men shared an innate pessimism.
(b) They both had a love of pirate adventures and the sea life.
(c) They both seemed to hate women.
(d) Both men were inherently optimistic.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Mencken satirize in "Quid Est Veritas"?
2. What kind of presence did Henry Cabot Lodge have, according to Mencken?
3. What moral choice faced Mencken and a cop on New Year's Day, in "Recollections of Notable Cops"?
4. Which boat captain helped Mencken while in Cuba?
5. Why does the typical man have a poor conception of beauty?
Short Essay Questions
1. How must men react to a woman's allure?
2. What was the nature of film actor Valentino's problem, as related in "Valentino"?
3. In "Gore in the Caribees," what becames of the rebel leader, Jose Miguel Gomez?
4. Instead of military generals, who did Mencken wish to award medals to in "Star-Spangled Man"?
5. Why do men usually marry women who are "basically hideous"?
6. What circumstances drove Mencken away from attending the Y. M. C. A.?
7. Why did Alistair Cooke feel that Mencken experienced a "downfall" in the 1930s?
8. What did Mencken conclude about his research into the court cases of Oliver Wendell Holmes?
9. What examples did Mencken provide to support his judgment of Anglo-Saxons?
10. What was Mencken's opinion of stage acting?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)