|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "The Skeptic," what do women always bear?
(a) A healthy mistrust of their husbands.
(b) The strength of their religious convictions.
(c) A strong sense of household finances.
(d) The burden of caring for families.
2. What kind of presence did Henry Cabot Lodge have, according to Mencken?
(a) Lodge was cantankerous and given to bickering.
(b) Lodge swore often and told dirty jokes, shocking women.
(c) Lodge was powerful and authoritative.
(d) Lodge was meek and soft-voiced.
3. What was Alistair Cooke's relationship to H. L. Mencken?
(a) A childhood acquaintance.
(b) A political enemy.
(c) A poet whom Mencken greatly admires.
(d) A journalist and friend.
4. Which book was Mencken's touchstone into literature?
(a) Alexander Dumas' The Three Musketeers.
(b) Mark Twain's Huckleberry Finn.
(c) Mary Shelley's Frankenstein.
(d) Thomas Paine's Common Sense.
5. Which of the following could NOT be used to describe Mencken's tone in "Star-Spangled Man"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the nature of the Prince of Wales story Mencken tells in "The Art Eternal"?
2. In which city did Mencken grow up?
3. What moral choice faced Mencken and a cop on New Year's Day, in "Recollections of Notable Cops"?
4. What human flaw does democracy depend upon, according to Mencken?
5. What does Mencken make synonymous with democracy in "A Blind Spot"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mencken believe it was advantageous for him to have not attended college?
2. What is democracy's aim, in "A Blind Spot"? What is a crime in the eyes of democracy?
3. What was Mencken's opinion of Ralph Waldo Emerson's "The American Scholar"?
4. What circumstances drove Mencken away from attending the Y. M. C. A.?
5. What criticisms did Mencken level at General John Pershing?
6. According to Mencken, why do so many people lie?
7. In "Gore in the Caribees," what becames of the rebel leader, Jose Miguel Gomez?
8. What was the nature of Mencken's first memory, as described in "Introduction to the Universe"?
9. What was Gene the magistrate's approach to law and justice in "Recollections of Notable Cops"?
10. How did Charlie get craftsmen to work at the jail in "Recollections of Notable Cops"?
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)