|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charlie the policeman was charged with which task, in "Recollections of Notable Cops"?
(a) Recruiting craftsmen to refurbish the jail.
(b) Finding and arresting at least a dozen drunkards every shift.
(c) Investigating a serial pursesnatcher.
(d) Organizing the annual policeman's ball.
2. What was Mencken's nickname for Chesapeake Bay?
(a) Crab central.
(b) The big blue.
(c) Home of the yummy lobsters.
(d) The protein factory.
3. What did Mencken satirize in "Quid Est Veritas"?
(a) Country doctors.
(b) Those who insisted Latin was not a dead language.
(c) Organized religion.
4. What was the subject of the first Mencken-written article that was ever published?
(a) Political discontent in Europe.
(b) The gold standard.
(c) A horse robbery.
(d) A high-society party.
5. According to Mencken, what was the Union fighting for in the Civil War?
(b) Against the notion of self-determinism.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the reasons winters were difficult in 1880s Baltimore?
2. What was Alistair Cooke's relationship to H. L. Mencken?
3. What does Mencken state about the literary influence(s) of Theodore Dreiser?
4. According to Mencken, the intellectual tradition of Whitman and Emerson had been transferred to which man?
5. Which man did Mencken dub the "Star-Spangled Man"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Mencken, why do so many people lie?
2. How did Mencken answer the question of whether successful men should have mistresses?
3. According to Mencken, why would a Christian man not cheat on his wife, according to "The Libertine"?
4. What was Mencken's ideal form of government?
5. What was Mencken's opinion about Henry Cabot Lodge?
6. What was the nature of Mencken's first-ever printed article?
7. What was accomplished by Walt Whitman's "Democratic Vistas," according to Mencken?
8. Why did Mencken believe it was advantageous for him to have not attended college?
9. How must men react to a woman's allure?
10. Why did Mencken criticize Woodrow Wilson?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)