|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who presided over the Republican Convention of 1920?
(a) Franklin Pierce.
(b) William Jennings Bryan.
(c) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(d) Grover Garfield.
2. What cheeky nickname did Mencken give Theodore Dreiser?
(a) The Clown Prince of prose.
(b) The Jack Ripper of the novel.
(c) The Frankenstein of the short story.
(d) The Hindenburg of the novel.
3. Which is one of the stated reasons the editor put the volume together?
(a) To fight charges that Mencken was racist.
(b) To introduce the works of H. L. Mencken to a new generation.
(c) To sell books for profit.
(d) To expose the corrupt policies of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
4. According to Mencken, how did members of the lower class respond to Wilson?
(a) They "clapped like fools" at a recent speech.
(b) They responded to his lower class domestic policies.
(c) They threw rotten vegetables at him at the convention.
(d) They were attracted to his lofty rhetoric.
5. What did Mencken satirize in "Quid Est Veritas"?
(a) Those who insisted Latin was not a dead language.
(b) Organized religion.
(d) Country doctors.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the editor, why were the 1930s Mencken's "downfall"?
2. Which man did Mencken dub the "Star-Spangled Man"?
3. What does Mencken call a man who resists the charms of women?
4. According to Mencken, what kind of books did Theodore Dreiser produce?
5. Which book was Mencken's touchstone into literature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mencken criticize Woodrow Wilson?
2. In "A Blind Spot," why was Mencken impervious to the ills of democracy?
3. What criticisms did Mencken have for Theodore Dreiser?
4. What was the nature of Mencken's first-ever printed article?
5. What is democracy's aim, in "A Blind Spot"? What is a crime in the eyes of democracy?
6. What was Mencken's opinion about Henry Cabot Lodge?
7. What was Mencken's remedy for curing the ills of modern religions?
8. In "Gore in the Caribees," what becames of the rebel leader, Jose Miguel Gomez?
9. What is the difference between men and women in regards to trust, according to "The Skeptic"?
10. Why do men usually marry women who are "basically hideous"?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)