|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charlie the policeman was charged with which task, in "Recollections of Notable Cops"?
(a) Finding and arresting at least a dozen drunkards every shift.
(b) Investigating a serial pursesnatcher.
(c) Organizing the annual policeman's ball.
(d) Recruiting craftsmen to refurbish the jail.
2. In "Star-Spangled Man," Mencken argued that who, besides soldiers, should get medals?
(a) Dock workers and tugboat captains.
(b) Anyone hostile to the United States.
(c) Murderers, thieves, and rapists.
(d) Writers and intellectuals.
3. What kind of presence did Henry Cabot Lodge have, according to Mencken?
(a) Lodge was powerful and authoritative.
(b) Lodge swore often and told dirty jokes, shocking women.
(c) Lodge was meek and soft-voiced.
(d) Lodge was cantankerous and given to bickering.
4. What was Theodore Dreiser's national and ethnic background?
5. Who was the president of Cuba when Mencken visited the country in "Gore in the Caribees"?
(d) Jose Miguel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which war was General John Pershing most famously involved in?
2. According to Mencken, what kind of books did Theodore Dreiser produce?
3. Why was Theodore Dreiser compared to Franz Schubert by Mencken?
4. According to Mencken, what was the Union fighting for in the Civil War?
5. Mencken provided what colorful phrase to describe a woman's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. In "A Blind Spot," why was Mencken impervious to the ills of democracy?
2. According to Mencken, why do so many people lie?
3. What was Mencken's opinion about Henry Cabot Lodge?
4. What was accomplished by Walt Whitman's "Democratic Vistas," according to Mencken?
5. What questions did Mencken raise about the contemporary understanding of Abraham Lincoln?
6. Why did Mencken criticize Woodrow Wilson?
7. What is the difference between men and women in regards to trust, according to "The Skeptic"?
8. What was Mencken's ideal form of government?
9. Why did Mencken believe it was advantageous for him to have not attended college?
10. According to Mencken, Theodore Dreiser had what emotional effect on the reader?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)