|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following could NOT be used to describe Mencken's tone in "Star-Spangled Man"?
2. What was the nature of the Prince of Wales story Mencken tells in "The Art Eternal"?
(a) The Prince of Wales stole in order to feed his citizens.
(b) The Prince of Wales framed a murderer he could not imprison by lawful means.
(c) The Prince of Wales begged for alms, in order to display his humility.
(d) The Prince of Wales lied in order to protect the virtues of a woman.
3. What human flaw does democracy depend upon, according to Mencken?
4. Which was NOT one of the reasons why a Christian wouldn't man cheat on his wife, according to "The Libertine"?
(a) He had a conscience to tell him no.
(b) He didn't have the money to support a mistress.
(c) He was too fatigued by all the Christian rules he must follow.
(d) He didn't have the courage.
5. Who presided over the Republican Convention of 1920?
(a) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(b) William Jennings Bryan.
(c) Grover Garfield.
(d) Franklin Pierce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What quotation did Mencken borrow from Theodore Dreiser in "Cavia Cobaya"?
2. Which was NOT a source of loud noise in the Baltimore of the 1880s, according to Mencken?
3. What did Mencken think about Lincoln's issuing of the Emancipation Proclamation?
4. In "Gore in the Caribees," what was Mencken's perspective on the revolution in Cuba?
5. What cheeky nickname did Mencken give Theodore Dreiser?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of people attended the Progressive Party convention of 1948?
2. What stance did Mencken take in "Mencken's Last Stand"?
3. In "A Blind Spot," why was Mencken impervious to the ills of democracy?
4. What was Mencken's opinion of stage acting?
5. Did Mencken's aesthetics conform to the ideals of the "new architecture"? Explain.
6. Why did Mencken believe it was advantageous for him to have not attended college?
7. Why did Mencken criticize Woodrow Wilson?
8. Why are artists "anti-patriotic," according to Mencken in "The Artist"?
9. Instead of military generals, who did Mencken wish to award medals to in "Star-Spangled Man"?
10. Why are "handsome men" suspicious, according to "The Lure of Beauty"?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)