|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Mencken, somewhat tongue-in-cheek, feel about the tradition of giving medals in the military?
(a) Medals should be given only at the conclusion of career service.
(b) Medals should be reserved just for generals, as the "idea men" of the military.
(c) Medals should be given to common soldiers, and not just generals.
(d) Medals should be given on a daily basis, because every day soldiers sacrifice.
2. What aspect of man-woman relationships are the movies incorrect about, according to Mencken?
(a) There is no such thing as romantic love.
(b) Women always begin a romance; men are too cowardly.
(c) Handsome men are not sought after by women.
(d) Men don't like to date women younger than themselves.
3. What does Mencken state about the literary influence(s) of Theodore Dreiser?
(a) Dreiser was the product of Frank Norris.
(b) No one author can be pointed to as an influence.
(c) Dreiser was the product of Emile Zola.
(d) Dreiser draws upon the literary tradition of Germany.
4. Which of the following could NOT be used to describe Mencken's tone in "Star-Spangled Man"?
5. Mencken provided what colorful phrase to describe a woman's body?
(a) A slap-happy seal.
(b) A star-spangled mess.
(c) A drunken dollar-mark.
(d) An hourglass of horrors.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mencken's criticism for Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
2. Which decade, according to the author, was Mencken at his best?
3. What does Mencken call a man who resists the charms of women?
4. What was the subject of Walt Whitman's "Democratic Vistas"?
5. Which was described as Mencken's earliest memory?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mencken criticize Woodrow Wilson?
2. According to Mencken, why would a Christian man not cheat on his wife, according to "The Libertine"?
3. Instead of military generals, who did Mencken wish to award medals to in "Star-Spangled Man"?
4. What circumstances drove Mencken away from attending the Y. M. C. A.?
5. What criticisms did Mencken have for Theodore Dreiser?
6. What is the difference between men and women in regards to trust, according to "The Skeptic"?
7. What was Mencken's remedy for curing the ills of modern religions?
8. Why was 1880s Baltimore such a loud town?
9. How must men react to a woman's allure?
10. What was Gene the magistrate's approach to law and justice in "Recollections of Notable Cops"?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)