|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the reasons winters were difficult in 1880s Baltimore?
(a) Cellars could flood.
(b) Water pipes could burst.
(c) The cold was severe, and furnaces did not help much.
(d) Snow caused many roofs to cave in.
2. Why shouldn't men trust other men?
(a) Men can be subject to temptation, and thus betrayal.
(b) Men can become violent at any moment.
(c) Men lie constantly.
(d) Men are only interested in accumulating wealth.
3. What stance can Mencken be said to have taken in "Star-Spangled Man"?
4. What was the name of H. L. Mencken's brother?
5. According to Mencken, what was the Union fighting for in the Civil War?
(c) Against the notion of self-determinism.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the subject of the first Mencken-written article that was ever published?
2. According to "Text for Newspaper Days," what is modern journalism missing?
3. What did Mencken think about Lincoln's issuing of the Emancipation Proclamation?
4. What cheeky nickname did Mencken give Theodore Dreiser?
5. In "Star-Spangled Man," Mencken argued that who, besides soldiers, should get medals?
Short Essay Questions
1. What circumstances drove Mencken away from attending the Y. M. C. A.?
2. Why did Alistair Cooke feel that Mencken experienced a "downfall" in the 1930s?
3. What criticisms did Mencken have for Theodore Dreiser?
4. According to Mencken, why do so many people lie?
5. What is the difference between men and women in regards to trust, according to "The Skeptic"?
6. Instead of military generals, who did Mencken wish to award medals to in "Star-Spangled Man"?
7. How did Mencken answer the question of whether successful men should have mistresses?
8. Why did Mencken criticize Woodrow Wilson?
9. What was Mencken's opinion about Henry Cabot Lodge?
10. What was Mencken's remedy for curing the ills of modern religions?
This section contains 751 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)