|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who presided over the Republican Convention of 1920?
(a) Franklin Pierce.
(b) Henry Cabot Lodge.
(c) Grover Garfield.
(d) William Jennings Bryan.
2. What was the subject of the first Mencken-written article that was ever published?
(a) Political discontent in Europe.
(b) A horse robbery.
(c) A high-society party.
(d) The gold standard.
3. What was Mencken's nickname for Chesapeake Bay?
(a) Home of the yummy lobsters.
(b) Crab central.
(c) The protein factory.
(d) The big blue.
4. In "Recollections of Notable Cops," why does Mencken find the idea of a police academy remarkable?
(a) Academies usually teach useless skills; police academies teach useful skills.
(b) Mencken states that police academies are contrary to the ideals of democracy.
(c) Mencken regards policemen as corrupt, vicious brutes.
(d) Cops in Mencken's younger days were not educated.
5. Which is one of the stated reasons the editor put the volume together?
(a) To fight charges that Mencken was racist.
(b) To sell books for profit.
(c) To expose the corrupt policies of Franklin Delano Roosevelt.
(d) To introduce the works of H. L. Mencken to a new generation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Gene the magistrate do with respect to an old man in his court accused of wife beating?
2. What famous speech did Ralph Waldo Emerson deliver in 1837?
3. Why do the majority of people lie, according to Mencken?
4. What was the "last straw" that forced Mencken to quit the organization in #16?
5. Why did Mencken disagree with contemporary assessments of Abraham Lincoln?
Short Essay Questions
1. What criticisms did Mencken have for Theodore Dreiser?
2. What criticisms did Mencken level at General John Pershing?
3. How did Mencken answer the question of whether successful men should have mistresses?
4. What questions did Mencken raise about the contemporary understanding of Abraham Lincoln?
5. What was accomplished by Walt Whitman's "Democratic Vistas," according to Mencken?
6. What was Mencken's remedy for curing the ills of modern religions?
7. Why do men usually marry women who are "basically hideous"?
8. Instead of military generals, who did Mencken wish to award medals to in "Star-Spangled Man"?
9. What was Gene the magistrate's approach to law and justice in "Recollections of Notable Cops"?
10. How must men react to a woman's allure?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)