|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the subject of the first Mencken-written article that was ever published?
(a) A horse robbery.
(b) Political discontent in Europe.
(c) A high-society party.
(d) The gold standard.
2. What did Mencken wonder about Henry Cabot Lodge?
(a) Why he did not pick a more noble profession.
(b) Why he thought he was so superior to everyone.
(c) Why he did not run for president.
(d) Why he felt he must belittle everyone around him.
3. Charlie the policeman was charged with which task, in "Recollections of Notable Cops"?
(a) Finding and arresting at least a dozen drunkards every shift.
(b) Recruiting craftsmen to refurbish the jail.
(c) Investigating a serial pursesnatcher.
(d) Organizing the annual policeman's ball.
4. Which is NOT a reason Mencken gives for admiring Theodore Dreiser?
(a) Dreiser's insistence on describing every detail of a scene.
(b) Dreiser's unique place in the world of literature.
(c) The ability for Dreiser to touch a reader on an emotional level.
(d) Dreiser's unchanging subject matter and style.
5. According to Mencken, what was the Union fighting for in the Civil War?
(b) Against the notion of self-determinism.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "Text for Newspaper Days," what is modern journalism missing?
2. What did Mencken satirize in "Quid Est Veritas"?
3. Who is the editor of this volume?
4. Which of the following could NOT be used to describe Mencken's tone in "Star-Spangled Man"?
5. What was the "last straw" that forced Mencken to quit the organization in #16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the chief problem of a Baltimore summer, according to Mencken in "The Baltimore of the Eighties"?
2. What was the nature of Mencken's first-ever printed article?
3. What was Gene the magistrate's approach to law and justice in "Recollections of Notable Cops"?
4. Instead of military generals, who did Mencken wish to award medals to in "Star-Spangled Man"?
5. What is the difference between men and women in regards to trust, according to "The Skeptic"?
6. What criticisms did Mencken level at General John Pershing?
7. What was the nature of Mencken's first memory, as described in "Introduction to the Universe"?
8. Why did Alistair Cooke feel that Mencken experienced a "downfall" in the 1930s?
9. How did Charlie get craftsmen to work at the jail in "Recollections of Notable Cops"?
10. Why did Mencken criticize Woodrow Wilson?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)