|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 45-49.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city was featured in "The Libido for the Ugly"?
(a) Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
(b) Washington, D. C.
(c) Dayton, Ohio.
(d) Baltimore, Maryland.
2. Which of the following describes an Anglo-Saxon soldier, according to Mencken?
(a) A cowardice and ready willingness to desert.
(b) A strong sense of tactics as well as strategy.
(c) A tendency to be able to bore the enemy to death with a long speech.
(d) A remarkable physical constitution.
3. What kind of presence did Henry Cabot Lodge have, according to Mencken?
(a) Lodge was powerful and authoritative.
(b) Lodge swore often and told dirty jokes, shocking women.
(c) Lodge was meek and soft-voiced.
(d) Lodge was cantankerous and given to bickering.
4. Mencken provided what colorful phrase to describe a woman's body?
(a) A star-spangled mess.
(b) A drunken dollar-mark.
(c) An hourglass of horrors.
(d) A slap-happy seal.
5. What one thing did Mencken feel was useful from the contributions of Sigmund Freud?
(a) The notion that people could be easily hypnotized.
(b) The notion that "mother issues" were deeply-seated.
(c) The notion that lying stemmed from an unconscious place.
(d) The notion that dreams could reveal aspects of our everyday lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mencken, what was the Union fighting for in the Civil War?
2. In "The Baltimore of the Eighties," why does Mencken's mother lament about a trip to the market?
3. How did Mencken appraise Valentino in their dinner meeting?
4. Which decade, according to the author, was Mencken at his best?
5. What was the "last straw" that forced Mencken to quit the organization in #16?
This section contains 353 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)