|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 15-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Mencken, what was Christianity's history with lying?
(a) Lying is not expressly forbidden, and is oftentimes even encouraged.
(b) Every sermon uttered by a priest is a lie.
(c) Lying is a great sin before God.
(d) One must lie to oneself in order to adhere to religious beliefs.
2. Which historical figure did Mencken ridicule by stating he was known as a "plaster saint"?
(a) Napoleon Bonaparte.
(b) Theodore Dreiser.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) George Washington.
3. What did Gene the magistrate do with respect to an old man in his court accused of wife beating?
(a) Gene threatened the man with made-up punishments to get him to reform.
(b) Gene had the court bailiff beat the man, just as he had beat his wife.
(c) Gene put him in jail for two years.
(d) Gene applauded the man for keeping his wife well-behaved.
4. Why was Theodore Dreiser compared to Franz Schubert by Mencken?
(a) Dreiser and Schubert didn't know the theory of their arts, but nonetheless they produce valuable work.
(b) Dreiser and Schubert both created work that is "lighter than air."
(c) Dreiser and Schubert exhibited an uncommon and sometimes perverse imagination.
(d) Dreiser and Schubert used whimsy, irony, and a sense of silliness.
5. In "Gore in the Caribees," what was Mencken's perspective on the revolution in Cuba?
(a) Mencken refused to cover the event, and is fired by his newspaper.
(b) Mencken thought it is newsworthy, and he asks to cover it.
(c) Mencken was fervently pro-Cuba, and travels to the country to engage in propaganda.
(d) Mencken thought the event is not newsworthy, and only reluctantly does he travel to cover it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mencken disagree with contemporary assessments of Abraham Lincoln?
2. Which is NOT a reason Mencken gives for admiring Theodore Dreiser?
3. Which boat captain helped Mencken while in Cuba?
4. Which was NOT a source of terrible smell in the Baltimore of the 1880s, according to Mencken?
5. Which was described as Mencken's earliest memory?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)