|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through 15-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Gene the magistrate do with respect to an old man in his court accused of wife beating?
(a) Gene had the court bailiff beat the man, just as he had beat his wife.
(b) Gene applauded the man for keeping his wife well-behaved.
(c) Gene threatened the man with made-up punishments to get him to reform.
(d) Gene put him in jail for two years.
2. What quotation did Mencken borrow from Theodore Dreiser in "Cavia Cobaya"?
(a) Does a man of moderate means never aspire to great wealth?
(b) Does the temperate, invulnerable man ever give in to the sins of alcohol?
(c) Does a woman of considerable means ever want for a man of inconsiderable means?
(d) Does the average strong, successful man confine himself to one woman?
3. In "Pater Patriae," which was NOT one of the reasons Mencken admired George Washington?
(a) He could cuss up a storm.
(b) He was tough-living, and whiskey-drinking.
(c) He put his trust and authority in intellectuals and lawyers.
(d) He was not convinced of the wisdom of common people.
4. Which decade, according to the author, was Mencken at his best?
(a) The 1920s.
(b) The 1910s.
(c) The 1940s.
(d) The 1930s.
5. What was the subject of the first Mencken-written article that was ever published?
(a) The gold standard.
(b) Political discontent in Europe.
(c) A high-society party.
(d) A horse robbery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What criticism did Mencken have for the effect of the Emancipation Proclamation?
2. What do saints have in common with scientists?
3. What did Mencken think about Lincoln's issuing of the Emancipation Proclamation?
4. What did Mencken think about monogamy, as revealed in "Cavia Cobaya"?
5. What was Mencken's criticism for Lincoln's Gettysburg Address?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)