|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 7, Brane New World.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Planck length?
(a) The smallest weight in physics.
(b) The biggest length in physics.
(c) The smallest length in physics.
(d) The biggest weight in physics.
2. What is intuitive to think about the "ground state" or stationary state of an object?
(a) This object would have two energies.
(b) This object would have multiple energies.
(c) This object would thrive in a black hole.
(d) This object would have zero energy.
3. What did one of Einstein's mathematical errors prevent Marcel and Einstein from doing?
(a) Colloborating on a second effort.
(b) Formulating the appropriate equations.
(c) Finishing the job in two weeks.
(d) Going to the SpaceTime conference of 1954.
4. What did Einstein wish people to abandon concerning time?
(a) A universal notion of time.
(b) That time equals money.
(c) The idea of the 24 hour clock.
(d) A general notion of the ratio of time to speed.
5. What laws might allow space-time to warp to allow a spaceship to travel through the past?
(a) The laws of geometry.
(b) The laws of calculus.
(c) The laws of physics.
(d) The laws of aerodynamics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who later showed that general relativity implied the Big Bang?
2. What does Hawking believe any good scientific theory should be rooted in?
3. What is determinism threatened by?
4. Who produced the theory about curved spaces?
5. What can p-branes absorb?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)