|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who declared ecstasy to be a definitive mark of a prophet?
2. The fundamental feature of divine reality, present in the prophet's consciousness, is described as what?
3. Heschel links divine inspiration to what?
4. Heschel points out that having a friendship with God doesn't mean what?
5. Another theory regarding the inspiration of the prophets regarded the prophetic act as what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Heschel call indifference evil?
2. Describe one theory that Heschel discusses regarding prophets and their revelations from God.
3. To what does Heschel compare the descriptions of prophecy?
4. What is anthropopathy?
5. What is Democritus's view of poets and divine inspiration?
6. How does Heschel explain the beliefs that the prophets were frauds?
7. What is the purpose of ecstasy, as explained by Heschel?
8. How does Heschel describe Tao as an antithesis to the prophetic idea of God?
9. What was Spinoza's idea about the prophets and does Heschel agree?
10. Why does Heschel say Karma is opposed to prophetic thinking?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is prophecy? How do you distinguish prophecy from other forms of speech or from predictions?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Heschel's theory of pathos. Discuss what Heschel means when he says that the basis for the relationship of God and man is the divine pathos.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss ecstasy and its relation to prophecy. Include a definition of ecstasy, Heschel's view and at least two other viewpoints. *
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)