|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Tao mean?
2. To what does Heschel compare the words of the prophet?
3. Heschel uses prophets from what regions or religions that used ecstasy to verify his viewpoint?
4. Heschel contrasts God to other deities, who unlike God, did not have what?
5. What prophet did God send to Nineveh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Democritus's view of poets and divine inspiration?
2. What is one difference between apathy and pathos, as explained by Heschel?
3. What is Heschel's theory of ecstasy and the prophets?
4. How does Heschel explain the beliefs that the prophets were frauds?
5. What is ecstasy?
6. How does Heschel think much of the Bible should be looked at?
7. To what does Heschel compare the descriptions of prophecy?
8. Does Heschel say God always been considered a loving and good God?
9. Describe one theory of the state of mind of the prophets at the time they were receiving the words of God.
10. How does Heschel describe the concerns of the prophets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Heschel explain God's wrath? How does he answer the objection of those who find it hard to understand how a righteous God can be angry? Is there a difference between anger and wrath, in terms of humans, and/or in terms of God? Should humans look at natural disasters as the wrath of God or as the power of God?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the social issues that the prophets were addressing. What were the issues? Be sure to link specific social issues to specific prophets. What did the prophets have to say about these social issues? Did the prophets address the social issues in the same way?
Essay Topic 3
What is prophecy? How do you distinguish prophecy from other forms of speech or from predictions?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)