|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another theory regarding the inspiration of the prophets regarded the prophetic act as what?
2. What is Karma?
3. Who stated that since the world is so full of filth and sin a just and loving God could not have created it?
4. One view that Heschel discusses is that an outstanding feature of a poet's consciousness is the sense of being what at the moment of inspiration?
5. What prophet did God send to Nineveh?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Heschel say God always been considered a loving and good God?
2. What is the purpose of ecstasy, as explained by Heschel?
3. Describe one theory that Heschel discusses regarding prophets and their revelations from God.
4. Do all scholars agree with Philo's view of ecstasy and the prophets?
5. Describe one theory of the state of mind of the prophets at the time they were receiving the words of God.
6. How does Heschel explain the beliefs that the prophets were frauds?
7. How does Heschel describe Tao as an antithesis to the prophetic idea of God?
8. What is Heschel's theory of ecstasy and the prophets?
9. How does Heschel describe the concerns of the prophets?
10. What was Spinoza's idea about the prophets and does Heschel agree?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the relationship of prophet, priest, and king through history, with emphasis on the period of the Old Testament prophets described in this book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three prophets that are not Old Testament prophets. How do they compare/contrast to the Old Testament prophets?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss anthropopathy and anthropomorphism. In your discussion, give examples. What does Heschel say the problem is with anthropopathy?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)