|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jeremiah the prophet said that God delights in what?
2. Heschel uses prophets from what regions or religions that used ecstasy to verify his viewpoint?
3. Heschel describes God as what?
4. Why did some scholars reject the idea of pathos?
5. From what civilization do we get the legacy that great poetry comes into being through madness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ecstasy?
2. How does Heschel explain the beliefs that the prophets were frauds?
3. How does Heschel think much of the Bible should be looked at?
4. Describe one theory that Heschel discusses regarding prophets and their revelations from God.
5. Why does Heschel call indifference evil?
6. What is anthropopathy?
7. Why does Heschel think it is hard for people to understand the wrath of God?
8. What is one difference between apathy and pathos, as explained by Heschel?
9. To what does Heschel compare the descriptions of prophecy?
10. Do all scholars agree with Philo's view of ecstasy and the prophets?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what type of man the prophet is in the Old Testament. Use examples from the prophets discussed the in the book to illustrate your points. Why were they prophets? What was their purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the relationship of prophet, priest, and king through history, with emphasis on the period of the Old Testament prophets described in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss nonfiction. Distinguish it from fiction. In your discussion include genres of nonfiction, their purposes, what types were used in this book, were they used well, etc.
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)