|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did God do after the prophet proclaimed the destruction of Nineveh and the people repented?
2. What does Heschel say about a reliable diagnosis of the prophets' mental health?
3. Heschel said that some of the beliefs that the prophets were frauds came from an era when people wanted what?
4. Heschel says the problem is not that we depict God incorrectly but what?
5. What does Tao mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one theory that Heschel discusses regarding prophets and their revelations from God.
2. Describe one theory of the state of mind of the prophets at the time they were receiving the words of God.
3. What is anthropopathy?
4. Why does Heschel say Karma is opposed to prophetic thinking?
5. How does Heschel think much of the Bible should be looked at?
6. How does Heschel describe the concerns of the prophets?
7. How does Heschel explain the beliefs that the prophets were frauds?
8. What is Democritus's view of poets and divine inspiration?
9. Who was Marcion?
10. What does Heschel say gives the prophets the courage to speak out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss ecstasy and its relation to prophecy. Include a definition of ecstasy, Heschel's view and at least two other viewpoints. *
Essay Topic 2
Describe Heschel's theory of pathos. Discuss what Heschel means when he says that the basis for the relationship of God and man is the divine pathos.
Essay Topic 3
Not all people believe that the prophets are divinely inspired. Discuss at least two viewpoints that call the prophets "false". What is Heschel's response to these claims?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)