|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In addition to using information from Israel's culture, Heschel uses information from what in order to understand the prophets?
2. Heschel said that some of the beliefs that the prophets were frauds came from an era when people wanted what?
3. Heschel alludes to the fact that to describe God in any terms implies that God is what?
4. Some writers in the Bible say that emotions and feelings have been inspired by whom?
5. What does Heschel believe drives a person's desire for ecstasy?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heschel describe Tao as an antithesis to the prophetic idea of God?
2. Does Heschel say God always been considered a loving and good God?
3. What is ecstasy?
4. Describe one theory that Heschel discusses regarding prophets and their revelations from God.
5. Describe one view of ecstasy and prophets that Heschel describes.
6. Do all scholars agree with Philo's view of ecstasy and the prophets?
7. To what does Heschel compare the descriptions of prophecy?
8. How does Heschel think much of the Bible should be looked at?
9. How does Heschel describe God?
10. Who was Marcion?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social issues that the prophets were addressing. What were the issues? Be sure to link specific social issues to specific prophets. What did the prophets have to say about these social issues? Did the prophets address the social issues in the same way?
Essay Topic 2
Through their lives and in their prophesies the prophets convey different images or concepts of God. Choose three prophets and compare/contrast their concepts of God.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the theology of pathos to two other theological points of view.
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)