|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Heschel looks at the theory of ecstasy but limits it to what?
2. God's anger is great and to be feared, but God is also what?
3. If ecstasy were a requirement for a prophet, which prophets of the Old Testament would not have been classified as prophets?
4. Heschel says the problem is not that we depict God incorrectly but what?
5. When talking about the inspiration for poetry, who says "One does not ask who gives."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heschel describe Tao as an antithesis to the prophetic idea of God?
2. Who was Marcion?
3. Describe one view of ecstasy and prophets that Heschel describes.
4. How does Heschel think much of the Bible should be looked at?
5. Describe one theory of the state of mind of the prophets at the time they were receiving the words of God.
6. What does Heschel describe as the end to indifference?
7. What was Spinoza's idea about the prophets and does Heschel agree?
8. What does Heschel say gives the prophets the courage to speak out?
9. What is ecstasy?
10. What is Democritus's view of poets and divine inspiration?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss nonfiction. Distinguish it from fiction. In your discussion include genres of nonfiction, their purposes, what types were used in this book, were they used well, etc.
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss anthropopathy and anthropomorphism. In your discussion, give examples. What does Heschel say the problem is with anthropopathy?
Essay Topic 3
From among the following list of prophets, Amos, Hosea, Isaiah, Micah, Jeremiah, Habakkuk, and Second Isaiah. choose the one you consider to be the most important. Discuss why you think he was the most important. In your discussion, include information on the man, the social ills, what he said, and how he said it.
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)