|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject area did Philo develop?
2. Heschel points out that God's wrath is what?
3. What does Heschel define as the belief in the temporary separation of the soul from the body when a person is asleep, sick, or in a trance state?
4. What attitude does Heschel take to other points of view that he uses in his book?
5. What does Heschel call indifference?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Heschel think it is hard for people to understand the wrath of God?
2. Describe one theory of the state of mind of the prophets at the time they were receiving the words of God.
3. What is ecstasy?
4. What is Heschel's theory of ecstasy and the prophets?
5. What is Democritus's view of poets and divine inspiration?
6. How does Heschel describe God?
7. How does Heschel think much of the Bible should be looked at?
8. Why does Heschel say Karma is opposed to prophetic thinking?
9. Who was Marcion?
10. Why does Heschel call indifference evil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what type of man the prophet is in the Old Testament. Use examples from the prophets discussed the in the book to illustrate your points. Why were they prophets? What was their purpose?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the theology of pathos to two other theological points of view.
Essay Topic 3
From among the following list of prophets, Amos, Hosea, Isaiah, Micah, Jeremiah, Habakkuk, and Second Isaiah. choose the one you consider to be the most important. Discuss why you think he was the most important. In your discussion, include information on the man, the social ills, what he said, and how he said it.
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)