|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Heschel use quotes from other books of the Bible?
2. Heschel says God hates sin but is also what?
3. What does Heschel use to solidify his facts about the prophets?
4. According to Heschel, the prophets had no ideas about God, but had what?
5. What changed with Second Isaiah?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Second Isaiah?
2. What does Heschel say God's ultimate goal is?
3. Why did the people try to run Amos out of the city of Judah?
4. How does Heschel describe the words of prophecy?
5. What type of message did Amos bring to the people?
6. Why does Heschel think Habakkuk is a tormented man?
7. What did Micah say in addition to warning the people about destruction due to their sins?
8. What is meant when Samuel says "to obey is better than sacrifice"?
9. What type of man was a prophet, according to Heschel?
10. What does Heschel say the prophets look toward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Justice was an important theme for the prophets. Define what justice meant to the prophets. Discuss what problems there were with justice. Pick two prophets and explain how they dealt with the issue of justice.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss prophetic inspiration. What is it? Compare/contrast at least three different explanations/definitions, including Heschel's. Which explanation do you agree with and why?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the theology of pathos to two other theological points of view.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)