|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Heschel says that Habakkuk knowing that destruction is coming feels that this is the opposite of what?
2. Pathos is not self-centered but is what kind of thinking?
3. In Hosea 9:14 instead of asking God to forgive his people he asked God to deliver them what?
4. Heschel says that Jeremiah is often called a prophet of what?
5. What did Isaiah say that God would do to those who try to honor themselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did the prophets see things differently based upon their relationship with God?
2. How did Hosea think his marriage with his wife Gomer reflected the relationship of Israel and God?
3. How does Heschel describe the words of prophecy?
4. Why can't God be explained, according to Heschel?
5. What type of message did Amos bring to the people?
6. What does Heschel say the prophets look toward?
7. What does understanding God depend on, according to Heschel?
8. In what way were Jeremiah and Micah the same?
9. How did Hosea and Amos differ?
10. Did the people listen to the prophet Isaiah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Heschel explain God's wrath? How does he answer the objection of those who find it hard to understand how a righteous God can be angry? Is there a difference between anger and wrath, in terms of humans, and/or in terms of God? Should humans look at natural disasters as the wrath of God or as the power of God?
Essay Topic 2
Through their lives and in their prophesies the prophets convey different images or concepts of God. Choose three prophets and compare/contrast their concepts of God.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what type of man the prophet is in the Old Testament. Use examples from the prophets discussed the in the book to illustrate your points. Why were they prophets? What was their purpose?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)