Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What social ill did Hosea primarily speak out against?
2. Heschel says that Jeremiah is often called a prophet of what?
3. Whom did Jeremiah say would overtake the cities of Judah?
4. What does Heschel say plays a part in the message that the prophets bring to the people?
5. What does Heschel see as the point when freedom is lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hosea think his marriage with his wife Gomer reflected the relationship of Israel and God?
2. What is Heschel's theory of ecstasy and the prophets?
3. Did the prophets feel differently about sin than others?
4. What does Heschel describe as the end to indifference?
5. How does Heschel describe the prophets' mental health?
6. What was the prophet Micah's concern with the people?
7. What is Democritus's view of poets and divine inspiration?
8. Why does Heschel think it is hard for people to understand the wrath of God?
9. What is the purpose of ecstasy, as explained by Heschel?
10. Do all scholars agree with Philo's view of ecstasy and the prophets?
Discuss the social issues that the prophets were addressing. What were the issues? Be sure to link specific social issues to specific prophets. What did the prophets have to say about these social issues? Did the prophets address the social issues in the same way?
From among the following list of prophets, Amos, Hosea, Isaiah, Micah, Jeremiah, Habakkuk, and Second Isaiah. choose the one you consider to be the most important. Discuss why you think he was the most important. In your discussion, include information on the man, the social ills, what he said, and how he said it.
Discuss prophetic and poetic inspiration. Include information on what different scholars have to say and Heschel's explanation of the difference between inspiration for poetry and inspiration for prophecy.
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)