|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is it said that God killed the Assyrians?
2. How long is the book of Habakkuk?
3. What does Heschel see as the point when freedom is lost?
4. According to Heschel, how did God show himself to prophets?
5. The author states that a prophet looked at things that seemed what to other people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Did the prophets feel differently about sin than others?
2. What type of man was a prophet, according to Heschel?
3. How did Hosea think his marriage with his wife Gomer reflected the relationship of Israel and God?
4. What does Heschel say God's ultimate goal is?
5. Did the people listen to the prophet Isaiah?
6. Why was Jeremiah called the prophet of wrath?
7. What is meant when Samuel says "to obey is better than sacrifice"?
8. Who is Second Isaiah?
9. What does Heschel say the prophets look toward?
10. Why can't God be explained, according to Heschel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the theology of pathos to two other theological points of view.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Heschel's theory of pathos. Discuss what Heschel means when he says that the basis for the relationship of God and man is the divine pathos.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss nonfiction. Distinguish it from fiction. In your discussion include genres of nonfiction, their purposes, what types were used in this book, were they used well, etc.
This section contains 481 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)