|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what does Heschel say God wants his people to obey?
2. According to Heschel, what is one of the things that caused a need for prophets?
3. How long is the book of Habakkuk?
4. How is it said that God killed the Assyrians?
5. What does Heschel claim is God's ultimate goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Heschel say the prophets look toward?
2. Why was Jeremiah called the prophet of wrath?
3. Who was Amos?
4. What type of message did Amos bring to the people?
5. Why does Jeremiah refer to the people of God as murderers?
6. Why did the people try to run Amos out of the city of Judah?
7. How does God answer Habakkuk when he asks him why and how long this will continue?
8. Why does Heschel think Habakkuk is a tormented man?
9. How did Hosea and Amos differ?
10. Why does Heschel say that the tone changes toward the people of Israel while Second Isaiah is the prophet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the theology of pathos to two other theological points of view.
Essay Topic 2
How does Heschel explain God's wrath? How does he answer the objection of those who find it hard to understand how a righteous God can be angry? Is there a difference between anger and wrath, in terms of humans, and/or in terms of God? Should humans look at natural disasters as the wrath of God or as the power of God?
Essay Topic 3
What is prophecy? How do you distinguish prophecy from other forms of speech or from predictions?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)