|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "The Prophets" was written for which religious groups?
2. The author states that a prophet looked at things that seemed what to other people?
3. Who died the year that Isaiah was called by God?
4. According to Heschel, in what way did Hosea differ from Amos?
5. What changed with Second Isaiah?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Heschel say that the tone changes toward the people of Israel while Second Isaiah is the prophet?
2. Why does Heschel think Habakkuk is a tormented man?
3. Why, according to Heschel, do others reject prophets?
4. Why did history cause a need for prophets?
5. How does Heschel describe the words of prophecy?
6. Who was Amos?
7. Why did the people try to run Amos out of the city of Judah?
8. What did Micah say in addition to warning the people about destruction due to their sins?
9. What did Heschel say about the prophets' popularity?
10. What does Heschel say the prophets look toward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social issues that the prophets were addressing. What were the issues? Be sure to link specific social issues to specific prophets. What did the prophets have to say about these social issues? Did the prophets address the social issues in the same way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss imagery and its use in the descriptions of the prophecies. Include in your discussion why the prophets used imagery and whether it helps in understanding their prophesy.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss prophetic and poetic inspiration. Include information on what different scholars have to say and Heschel's explanation of the difference between inspiration for poetry and inspiration for prophecy.
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)