|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Heschel describe freedom?
2. Jeremiah felt that his time was one of what?
3. Amos began with a message of what?
4. Isaiah was aware that disaster was coming and from that disaster would come what?
5. What does Heschel say that Habakkuk is tormented by?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of man was a prophet, according to Heschel?
2. Why did history cause a need for prophets?
3. Who was Amos?
4. What does Heschel say God's ultimate goal is?
5. Why was Jeremiah called the prophet of wrath?
6. How does God answer Habakkuk when he asks him why and how long this will continue?
7. Does Heschel say there is anything that can change God's judgment after the prophets warn the people of destruction?
8. Did the prophets feel differently about sin than others?
9. What does understanding God depend on, according to Heschel?
10. What was the prophet Micah's concern with the people?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Heschel explain God's wrath? How does he answer the objection of those who find it hard to understand how a righteous God can be angry? Is there a difference between anger and wrath, in terms of humans, and/or in terms of God? Should humans look at natural disasters as the wrath of God or as the power of God?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss prophetic inspiration. What is it? Compare/contrast at least three different explanations/definitions, including Heschel's. Which explanation do you agree with and why?
Essay Topic 3
From among the following list of prophets, Amos, Hosea, Isaiah, Micah, Jeremiah, Habakkuk, and Second Isaiah. choose the one you consider to be the most important. Discuss why you think he was the most important. In your discussion, include information on the man, the social ills, what he said, and how he said it.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)