|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Heschel say that the prophets looked towards?
2. What happened to prophets when God called them to do his work?
3. Jeremiah felt that his time was one of what?
4. How did Amos describe God's voice calling to him?
5. Heschel quotes Samuel to show that what was better than sacrifice?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hosea and Amos differ?
2. Who was Amos?
3. Did the people listen to the prophet Isaiah?
4. Why can't God be explained, according to Heschel?
5. Why does Heschel think Habakkuk is a tormented man?
6. Why does Jeremiah refer to the people of God as murderers?
7. Why was Jeremiah called the prophet of wrath?
8. How does Heschel describe the words of prophecy?
9. What type of message did Amos bring to the people?
10. What does Heschel say the prophets look toward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From among the following list of prophets, Amos, Hosea, Isaiah, Micah, Jeremiah, Habakkuk, and Second Isaiah. choose the one you consider to be the most important. Discuss why you think he was the most important. In your discussion, include information on the man, the social ills, what he said, and how he said it.
Essay Topic 2
Through their lives and in their prophesies the prophets convey different images or concepts of God. Choose three prophets and compare/contrast their concepts of God.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the social issues that the prophets were addressing. What were the issues? Be sure to link specific social issues to specific prophets. What did the prophets have to say about these social issues? Did the prophets address the social issues in the same way?
This section contains 533 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)