|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did the prophets blame for the injustices in the land?
2. Prophets rebuked the inhabitants of cities for things that others would have called what?
3. Heschel quotes Samuel to show that what was better than sacrifice?
4. What changed with Second Isaiah?
5. "The Prophets" was written for which religious groups?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Jeremiah called the prophet of wrath?
2. Why, according to Heschel, do others reject prophets?
3. What was the prophet Micah's concern with the people?
4. Does Heschel say there is anything that can change God's judgment after the prophets warn the people of destruction?
5. What type of message did Amos bring to the people?
6. What did Heschel say about the prophets' popularity?
7. Did the prophets see things differently based upon their relationship with God?
8. Did the prophets feel differently about sin than others?
9. What type of man was a prophet, according to Heschel?
10. What did Micah say in addition to warning the people about destruction due to their sins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the social issues that the prophets were addressing. What were the issues? Be sure to link specific social issues to specific prophets. What did the prophets have to say about these social issues? Did the prophets address the social issues in the same way?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss at least three prophets that are not Old Testament prophets. How do they compare/contrast to the Old Testament prophets?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss prophetic inspiration. What is it? Compare/contrast at least three different explanations/definitions, including Heschel's. Which explanation do you agree with and why?
This section contains 517 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)