|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Heschel, the prophets had no ideas about God, but had what?
2. Before Amos was called by God what was his job?
3. Jeremiah felt that his time was one of what?
4. Who was Hezekiah?
5. In Hosea 9:14 instead of asking God to forgive his people he asked God to deliver them what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant when Samuel says "to obey is better than sacrifice"?
2. Who is Second Isaiah?
3. In what way were Jeremiah and Micah the same?
4. What did Micah say in addition to warning the people about destruction due to their sins?
5. What does Heschel say the prophets look toward?
6. How does Heschel describe the words of prophecy?
7. What type of message did Amos bring to the people?
8. What did Heschel say about the prophets' popularity?
9. Why did the people try to run Amos out of the city of Judah?
10. How did Hosea and Amos differ?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss imagery and its use in the descriptions of the prophecies. Include in your discussion why the prophets used imagery and whether it helps in understanding their prophesy.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss ecstasy and its relation to prophecy. Include a definition of ecstasy, Heschel's view and at least two other viewpoints. *
Essay Topic 3
What is prophecy? How do you distinguish prophecy from other forms of speech or from predictions?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)