|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jeremiah the prophet said that God delights in what?
(a) The covenant.
2. Who declared ecstasy to be a definitive mark of a prophet?
3. One theory for prophets and their inspiration is that they had madness in them that led to what?
(a) The desire to be great.
(b) The belief that God talked to them.
(c) A psychic ability.
(d) The belief that they had a job to do.
4. According to Heschel, the prophetic act takes place when the prophet is aware of what?
(a) The belief that something is happening to him.
(b) The lack of knowledge about who is the source of his inspiration.
(c) The source of his inspiration is God.
(d) The lack of complete consciousness.
5. According to some scholars, the goal should not be pathos but what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the prophets talk about in addition to God's wrath and judgment?
2. What is Karma?
3. What is the ultimate purpose of ecstasy?
4. Heschel alludes to the fact that to describe God in any terms implies that God is what?
5. Some writers in the Bible say that emotions and feelings have been inspired by whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Heschel think it is hard for people to understand the wrath of God?
2. What is one difference between apathy and pathos, as explained by Heschel?
3. How does Heschel describe God?
4. Does Heschel say God always been considered a loving and good God?
5. What is Heschel's theory of ecstasy and the prophets?
6. What is the purpose of ecstasy, as explained by Heschel?
7. What is Democritus's view of poets and divine inspiration?
8. Describe one theory that Heschel discusses regarding prophets and their revelations from God.
9. What was Spinoza's idea about the prophets and does Heschel agree?
10. What does Heschel say gives the prophets the courage to speak out?
This section contains 598 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)