|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did God do after the prophet proclaimed the destruction of Nineveh and the people repented?
(a) God relented and saved Nineveh.
(b) God told the prophet to stay in Nineveh.
(c) God let the people leave Nineveh before he destroyed it.
(d) God destroyed Nineveh.
2. Who declared ecstasy to be a definitive mark of a prophet?
3. What appears to us as wild emotionalism in the prophets, Heschel says may seem like what to the prophets themselves?
(d) Proper behavior.
4. What is Karma?
(a) A special relationship to God.
(b) A religion that believes in prophetic thinking.
(c) A way of life.
(d) An opposite to prophetic thinking.
5. Heschel links divine inspiration to what?
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Heschel compare the descriptions of prophecy?
2. Who was Marcion?
3. Heschel states that it is important to distinguish between the objective and subjective aspects of what?
4. Heschel says the problem is not that we depict God incorrectly but what?
5. When talking about the inspiration for poetry, who says "One does not ask who gives."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heschel think much of the Bible should be looked at?
2. How does Heschel describe God?
3. What does Heschel say gives the prophets the courage to speak out?
4. Does Heschel say God always been considered a loving and good God?
5. Why does Heschel think it is hard for people to understand the wrath of God?
6. What is Heschel's theory of ecstasy and the prophets?
7. Describe one theory of the state of mind of the prophets at the time they were receiving the words of God.
8. What was Spinoza's idea about the prophets and does Heschel agree?
9. How does Heschel explain the beliefs that the prophets were frauds?
10. How does Heschel describe Tao as an antithesis to the prophetic idea of God?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)