|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Heschel says the problem is not that we depict God incorrectly but what?
(a) That we can't depict Him.
(b) He does not see depicting God as a problem.
(c) That we try to depict Him at all.
(d) That we don't know how to depict Him.
2. Who declared ecstasy to be a definitive mark of a prophet?
3. God's anger is great and to be feared, but God is also what?
4. What are two unique features of a prophet?
(a) Silent subordination and self-love.
(b) Prayer and mercy.
(c) Active cooperation and self-dedication to God.
(d) Forgiveness and suppression of emotion.
5. What did the prophets talk about in addition to God's wrath and judgment?
(a) His love.
(b) His knowledge.
(c) His vengeance.
(d) His wisdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. Heschel alludes to the fact that to describe God in any terms implies that God is what?
2. Heschel contrasts God to other deities, who unlike God, did not have what?
3. Whose theory said that the prophets were not talking to God but were making judgments about God's desires from the information they had about God?
4. Heschel says that Moses would have taught what kinds of rules of right living to the people?
5. What does Heschel describe as not a goal, but a challenge, a commitment, a state of tension?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ecstasy?
2. Why does Heschel say Karma is opposed to prophetic thinking?
3. How does Heschel describe God?
4. What is Democritus's view of poets and divine inspiration?
5. What does Heschel describe as the end to indifference?
6. What is anthropopathy?
7. Why does Heschel call indifference evil?
8. How does Heschel describe Tao as an antithesis to the prophetic idea of God?
9. What was Spinoza's idea about the prophets and does Heschel agree?
10. How does Heschel think much of the Bible should be looked at?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)