|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Heschel compare the descriptions of prophecy?
(a) Religious literature.
(b) Religious fervor.
(c) Grace and holiness.
2. One theory for prophets and their inspiration is that they had madness in them that led to what?
(a) The desire to be great.
(b) A psychic ability.
(c) The belief that God talked to them.
(d) The belief that they had a job to do.
3. What is Karma?
(a) An opposite to prophetic thinking.
(b) A religion that believes in prophetic thinking.
(c) A way of life.
(d) A special relationship to God.
4. In early Israel, the gift of poetry was regarded as what?
(a) A talent.
(b) An intellectual gift.
(c) A psychic ability.
(d) A gift of the Spirit.
5. According to Heschel, many parts of the Bible should be looked at as what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the prophets talk about in addition to God's wrath and judgment?
2. The prophet's attitude toward divine reality is described as what?
3. God's anger is great and to be feared, but God is also what?
4. When did Heschel examine the state of mind of the prophets with respect to the theory of ecstasy?
5. What does Heschel say is an end to indifference?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heschel describe Tao as an antithesis to the prophetic idea of God?
2. Why does Heschel call indifference evil?
3. Who was Marcion?
4. Describe one theory that Heschel discusses regarding prophets and their revelations from God.
5. How does Heschel describe God?
6. How does Heschel explain the beliefs that the prophets were frauds?
7. Why does Heschel think it is hard for people to understand the wrath of God?
8. To what does Heschel compare the descriptions of prophecy?
9. What is Democritus's view of poets and divine inspiration?
10. What does Heschel say gives the prophets the courage to speak out?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)