|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Heschel, the prophetic act takes place when the prophet is aware of what?
(a) The lack of knowledge about who is the source of his inspiration.
(b) The belief that something is happening to him.
(c) The lack of complete consciousness.
(d) The source of his inspiration is God.
2. What appears to us as wild emotionalism in the prophets, Heschel says may seem like what to the prophets themselves?
(c) Proper behavior.
3. When did Heschel examine the state of mind of the prophets with respect to the theory of ecstasy?
(a) When they were speaking.
(b) When they were prophesying.
(c) When they were praying.
(d) When they were receiving the words of God.
4. What does the Stoic sage aim for?
5. Heschel links divine inspiration to what?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the prophets talk about in addition to God's wrath and judgment?
2. What does Heschel define as the belief in the temporary separation of the soul from the body when a person is asleep, sick, or in a trance state?
3. To what does Heschel compare the words of the prophet?
4. In early Israel, the gift of poetry was regarded as what?
5. When was Marcion expelled from his church?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Heschel describe God?
2. What is the purpose of ecstasy, as explained by Heschel?
3. Why does Heschel think it is hard for people to understand the wrath of God?
4. What is ecstasy?
5. What was Spinoza's idea about the prophets and does Heschel agree?
6. How does Heschel think much of the Bible should be looked at?
7. What does Heschel describe as the end to indifference?
8. Who was Marcion?
9. Describe one view of ecstasy and prophets that Heschel describes.
10. Does Heschel say God always been considered a loving and good God?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)