|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jeremiah was a prophet when what happened to Jerusalem?
(a) It became the capital of the Assyrian empire.
(b) It fell.
(c) It was the center of culture.
(d) It prospered.
2. Heschel states that it is a mistake to think that what happens on earth reflects what?
(a) What is happening in heaven.
(b) What has happened in the past in heaven.
(c) What is going to happen in the future on earth.
(d) What has happened in the past on earth.
3. How many children did Hosea have?
4. Jeremiah felt that his time was one of what?
5. According to Heschel, how did God show himself to prophets?
(a) In vague notions.
(b) In totality.
(c) In variables.
(d) In absolutes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Heschel quote Micah 7:1-7?
2. What does Heschel use to solidify his facts about the prophets?
3. Amos began with a message of what?
4. Heschel describes the words of prophecy as a polarity between what?
5. What does Heschel avoid telling the reader about the prophets' message?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Amos?
2. Why does Heschel say that the tone changes toward the people of Israel while Second Isaiah is the prophet?
3. What does Heschel say the prophets look toward?
4. Did the people listen to the prophet Isaiah?
5. Why did the people try to run Amos out of the city of Judah?
6. How does God answer Habakkuk when he asks him why and how long this will continue?
7. Does Heschel say there is anything that can change God's judgment after the prophets warn the people of destruction?
8. Why, according to Heschel, do others reject prophets?
9. What does understanding God depend on, according to Heschel?
10. What did Heschel say about the prophets' popularity?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)