|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what does Heschel say God wants his people to obey?
(a) Out of fear.
(b) Out of love.
(c) Because they want to.
(d) Out of obedience.
2. The author describes what era in the Old Testament?
(a) Prophetic era.
(b) Ancient prophets era.
(c) Babylonian exile era.
(d) Early Christian era.
3. How is it said that God killed the Assyrians?
(a) With a disease.
(b) With loss in battle.
(c) With a flood.
(d) With fire.
4. According to Heschel, the land at the time of the prophets had judges and laws but they were both without what?
5. Jeremiah says that even though people are punished they don't seem to what?
(b) Have remorse.
(d) Be penitent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Isaiah say that God would do to those who try to honor themselves?
2. What does Heschel see as the point when freedom is lost?
3. What Bible does Heschel use as the source for scripture passages?
4. What does Heschel avoid telling the reader about the prophets' message?
5. What does understanding God depend on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jeremiah refer to the people of God as murderers?
2. Why can't God be explained, according to Heschel?
3. What does Heschel say God's ultimate goal is?
4. How did Hosea and Amos differ?
5. Why does Heschel say that the tone changes toward the people of Israel while Second Isaiah is the prophet?
6. What type of man was a prophet, according to Heschel?
7. Did the prophets see things differently based upon their relationship with God?
8. Why did history cause a need for prophets?
9. How does Heschel describe the words of prophecy?
10. What is meant when Samuel says "to obey is better than sacrifice"?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)