|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. God answers Habakkuk that God's hand is constantly working even though what?
(a) It can't be seen.
(b) It isn't what Habakkuk wants.
(c) It is destroying the covenant.
(d) It is destroying the people.
2. What did Mesha sacrifice to appease his idols during wartime?
(c) His daughter.
(d) His son.
3. Hosea describes Israel as the unfaithful wife and God as Israel's what?
4. How many children did Hosea have?
5. Heschel says that God is our father but also our judge, and when he judges us he is also what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Heschel describes the words of prophecy as a polarity between what?
2. What does Heschel see as the point when freedom is lost?
3. What does Heschel say is the basis for the relationship of God and man?
4. According to Heschel, in what way did Hosea differ from Amos?
5. For what does Heschel say God wants his people to obey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is meant when Samuel says "to obey is better than sacrifice"?
2. Why does Heschel think Habakkuk is a tormented man?
3. Why did the people try to run Amos out of the city of Judah?
4. Why did history cause a need for prophets?
5. Did the prophets see things differently based upon their relationship with God?
6. Why was Jeremiah called the prophet of wrath?
7. What did Micah say in addition to warning the people about destruction due to their sins?
8. Why, according to Heschel, do others reject prophets?
9. Does Heschel say there is anything that can change God's judgment after the prophets warn the people of destruction?
10. What does understanding God depend on, according to Heschel?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)