|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Heschel describes God as what?
(a) The ultimate judge.
(b) Someone who cannot be described.
(d) The ultimate source of the universe.
2. To what does Heschel compare the words of the prophet?
(c) Running water.
(d) A breeze.
3. When did Heschel examine the state of mind of the prophets with respect to the theory of ecstasy?
(a) When they were receiving the words of God.
(b) When they were prophesying.
(c) When they were speaking.
(d) When they were praying.
4. What is the ultimate purpose of ecstasy?
(a) Knowledge of one's self.
(c) Union with the divine.
5. Heschel says that Moses would have taught what kinds of rules of right living to the people?
(a) Unusual rules.
(b) Bizarre rules.
(c) Complex rules.
(d) Simple rules.
6. Heschel said that some of the beliefs that the prophets were frauds came from an era when people wanted what?
7. Some writers in the Bible say that emotions and feelings have been inspired by whom?
(a) The Greeks.
(d) The devil.
8. What is the origin of pathos?
9. In what religion do you do away with all feeling and obtain a type of peace?
10. When the pathos of God is upon a prophet what happens?
(a) He becomes apathetic.
(b) He becomes overwhelmed.
(c) He becomes compassionate.
(d) He becomes angry.
11. Heschel links divine inspiration to what?
12. The fundamental feature of divine reality, present in the prophet's consciousness, is described as what?
(b) Prophetic religion.
13. What does Heschel call indifference?
14. Heschel contrasts God to other deities, who unlike God, did not have what?
(a) Absolute supreme power.
(b) Power to intervene in people's lives.
(c) Power to make heaven and earth.
(d) Power to change history.
15. What is Karma?
(a) A way of life.
(b) A religion that believes in prophetic thinking.
(c) An opposite to prophetic thinking.
(d) A special relationship to God.
Short Answer Questions
1. Heschel says the problem is not that we depict God incorrectly but what?
2. When was Marcion expelled from his church?
3. How is God's love to man shown?
4. The prophet's attitude toward divine reality is described as what?
5. When talking about the inspiration for poetry, who says "One does not ask who gives."
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)