|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 10-13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The nature of man's response to divine reality corresponds to what?
(a) His religious serendipity.
(b) His prayer life.
(c) His apprehension of the divine.
(d) His knowledge of God.
2. According to Heschel, in what way did Hosea differ from Amos?
(a) In his love for God.
(b) In his love for the people.
(c) In the way he lived.
(d) In his preaching.
3. What does Heschel say plays a part in the message that the prophets bring to the people?
(a) The words themselves.
(b) The way the message is presented.
(c) The situation.
(d) The man and his life.
4. Heschel contends that the prophets were in what state of mind when they received God's call?
(a) State of madness.
(b) State of ecstasy.
(c) State of passivity.
(d) State of consciousness and awareness.
5. What is the ultimate purpose of ecstasy?
(b) Union with the divine.
(d) Knowledge of one's self.
Short Answer Questions
1. One view that Heschel discusses is that an outstanding feature of a poet's consciousness is the sense of being what at the moment of inspiration?
2. Prophets rebuked the inhabitants of cities for things that others would have called what?
3. Hosea describes Israel as the unfaithful wife and God as Israel's what?
4. What is the origin of pathos?
5. In early Israel, the gift of poetry was regarded as what?
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)