|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 10-13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. One theory for prophets and their inspiration is that they had madness in them that led to what?
(a) A psychic ability.
(b) The belief that God talked to them.
(c) The desire to be great.
(d) The belief that they had a job to do.
2. Who was Marcion?
(a) A Christian.
(b) A Greek.
(c) A Jew.
(d) A Gnostic.
3. How does Heschel describe the time during Second Isaiah?
(a) Filled with doom and hope.
(b) Filled with repentance.
(c) Filled with tears and joy.
(d) Filled with death and destruction.
4. Heschel contrasts God to other deities, who unlike God, did not have what?
(a) Power to intervene in people's lives.
(b) Absolute supreme power.
(c) Power to change history.
(d) Power to make heaven and earth.
5. What people did Amos, Hosea, and Isaiah try to save?
(a) The people of the Southern Kingdom.
(b) The people of the Northern Kingdom.
(c) The people of the Eastern Kingdom.
(d) The people of the Western Kingdom.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was another name for Hosea?
2. According to Heschel, the prophetic act takes place when the prophet is aware of what?
3. What does Heschel call indifference?
4. What does Heschel describe as not a goal, but a challenge, a commitment, a state of tension?
5. Some writers in the Bible say that emotions and feelings have been inspired by whom?
This section contains 256 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)