|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2: Chapters 10-13.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened to prophets when God called them to do his work?
(a) They were shown respect.
(b) They were shunned.
(c) They were honored.
(d) They were glorified.
2. According to Heschel, the prophetic act takes place when the prophet is aware of what?
(a) The lack of knowledge about who is the source of his inspiration.
(b) The source of his inspiration is God.
(c) The lack of complete consciousness.
(d) The belief that something is happening to him.
3. What was the name of Hosea's wife?
4. What does Heschel describe as not a goal, but a challenge, a commitment, a state of tension?
(b) Prophetic sympathy.
(c) Prophetic ethos.
5. Heschel contrasts God to other deities, who unlike God, did not have what?
(a) Absolute supreme power.
(b) Power to change history.
(c) Power to make heaven and earth.
(d) Power to intervene in people's lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Israel ask for help and protection from Assyria during the time of Isaiah?
2. What does understanding God depend on?
3. One theory for prophets and their inspiration is that they had madness in them that led to what?
4. Who declared ecstasy to be a definitive mark of a prophet?
5. When was Marcion expelled from his church?
This section contains 249 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)