|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 30, what is Sylvanshine's job?
2. In Chapter 22, what word does David use to describe himself in his youth?
3. In Chapter 24, what does David note about the van that picks him up?
4. Why does David present information about his childhood in Chapter 22?
5. What is something the examiners discuss in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David's early IRS training differ from Cusk's?
2. In Chapter 33, how does Lane Dean Jr. perform his work?
3. How do IRS workers know of the phantoms?
4. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
5. What are IRS phantoms?
6. In Chapter 22, what reason does David give for going to the IRS for a job?
7. What task is the narrator given by Gary Manshardt in Chapter 35?
8. What is Chapter 25 about?
9. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
10. In Chapter 27, what worries Cusk most about his training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do nameless characters play in this novel? Consider how they affect the plot and the other characters in the novel. How do these nameless characters influence the major themes?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of boredom in this novel. How does the author try to influence his readers' opinions about boredom?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of success in this novel. What things make people successful? What things impede success? What is the overall message about success in this novel?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)