|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 30, what example of outdated material does Sylvanshine talk about with Reynolds?
2. Who interrupts Lane Dean's work in Chapter 33?
3. How does Cusk feel when he returns from his break in Chapter 27?
4. What form does the narrator of Chapter 22 claim to use?
5. What year do David's parents divorce?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David's early IRS training differ from Cusk's?
2. In Chapter 27, what surprises Cusk when he returns from his break?
3. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
4. Why doesn't David exit the van in Chapter 24 with the other people?
5. How do the IRS employees entertain themselves in Chapter 32?
6. In Chapter 27, what reason is given for possibly not conducting an audit?
7. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
8. How does David's father's arm get stuck in the train?
9. Why does Sylvanshine talk to Reynolds over the phone in Chapter 30?
10. What happens with the lawsuits that follow David's father's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the use of dialogue vs the use of description. Look at how each is used in the novel and what makes these uses effective or ineffective.
Essay Topic 2
What role do nameless characters play in this novel? Consider how they affect the plot and the other characters in the novel. How do these nameless characters influence the major themes?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of interview in "The Pale King"? Consider the interviews conducted with tax payers, IRS employees and people wishing to become IRS employees. What message is conveyed about the interviewing process?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)