|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 24, what does David note about the van that picks him up?
2. In Chapter 30, what is Sylvanshine's job?
3. In Chapter 24, who is the last person on the van once it arrives at the IRS building?
4. In Chapter 32, who does the IRS examiner call?
5. At the end of Cusk's training in Chapter 27, how does Cusk respond to the training?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 27, what reason is given for possibly not conducting an audit?
2. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
3. In Chapter 33, how does Lane Dean Jr. perform his work?
4. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
5. Why doesn't David exit the van in Chapter 24 with the other people?
6. How do the IRS employees entertain themselves in Chapter 32?
7. What are IRS phantoms?
8. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
9. What happens with the lawsuits that follow David's father's death?
10. What is the relationship between the Peoria REC and Martinsburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role do nameless characters play in this novel? Consider how they affect the plot and the other characters in the novel. How do these nameless characters influence the major themes?
Essay Topic 2
Knowing that "The Pale King" is unfinished, how does this influence the novel? What impact does this have on the development of the plot and the characters? How does the inclusion of author notes influence these things?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the commentary on employment that occurs in this novel. Compare and contrast the types of employment and the relationship between the careers of the characters and their overall happiness.
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)