|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22, why does David say he switched colleges often?
2. In Chapter 22, who does David blame his parents' divorce on?
3. In Chapter 30, what example of outdated material does Sylvanshine talk about with Reynolds?
4. What emotional reaction does the narrator say is not associated with phantoms in Chapter 26?
5. In Chapter 22, what happens after David's father's death?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of symbolism in "The Pale King". Consider the significant jobs in the IRS REC, the IRS van, the pre-employment house and other important objects.
Essay Topic 2
What is the effect of the loosely connected characters of "The Pale King" on the development of the plot? What is the relationship between plot and characterization?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the layering of people named David Foster Wallace in this novel. Explore the relationship between the three Davids in the novel: the author, the narrator and the character. What makes these people different? What makes them the same?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)