|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chapter 34 consist of?
2. What does David first talk about in the beginning of Chapter 22?
3. How does David know where to go at the IRS REC building in Chapter 24?
4. How does David's father die after his arm is stuck in the train in Chapter 22?
5. What does the narrator say Cusk is avoiding in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't David exit the van in Chapter 24 with the other people?
2. Why does Sylvanshine talk to Reynolds over the phone in Chapter 30?
3. What is Chapter 25 about?
4. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
5. How do the IRS employees entertain themselves in Chapter 32?
6. What is the relationship between the Peoria REC and Martinsburg?
7. In Chapter 27, why is the word "profitable" not used officially?
8. How does David's early IRS training differ from Cusk's?
9. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
10. In Chapter 33, how does Lane Dean Jr. perform his work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of symbolism in "The Pale King". Consider the significant jobs in the IRS REC, the IRS van, the pre-employment house and other important objects.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of success in this novel. What things make people successful? What things impede success? What is the overall message about success in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
How do characters remain the same as they age? How do they change? Compare and contrast the characters who change vs. those who remain the same. What message does this deliver about childhood and the transition into adulthood?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)