|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 32, what does the IRS examiner ask someone to do over the phone?
2. In Chapter 22, why does David go to Libertyville with his father?
3. Why does David present information about his childhood in Chapter 22?
4. What role does Manshardt have with the IRS?
5. What year do David's parents divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of success in this novel. What things make people successful? What things impede success? What is the overall message about success in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the effect of the loosely connected characters of "The Pale King" on the development of the plot? What is the relationship between plot and characterization?
Essay Topic 3
What role do nameless characters play in this novel? Consider how they affect the plot and the other characters in the novel. How do these nameless characters influence the major themes?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)