|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Cusk run off to during a break in Chapter 27?
2. In Chapter 22, what does David say was his drug of choice when he was younger?
3. In Chapter 28, what does the narrator assume all IRS agents want?
4. Why does David's father's arm get stuck in the train door in Chapter 22?
5. In Chapter 35, what worries the narrator?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, what reason does David give for going to the IRS for a job?
2. How does David's early IRS training differ from Cusk's?
3. What are IRS phantoms?
4. How do the IRS employees entertain themselves in Chapter 32?
5. What is Chapter 25 about?
6. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
7. In Chapter 27, what surprises Cusk when he returns from his break?
8. What is the relationship between the Peoria REC and Martinsburg?
9. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
10. In Chapter 33, how does Lane Dean Jr. perform his work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Knowing that "The Pale King" is unfinished, how does this influence the novel? What impact does this have on the development of the plot and the characters? How does the inclusion of author notes influence these things?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of success in this novel. What things make people successful? What things impede success? What is the overall message about success in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the commentary on employment that occurs in this novel. Compare and contrast the types of employment and the relationship between the careers of the characters and their overall happiness.
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)