|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 32, who does the IRS examiner call?
2. What year do David's parents divorce?
3. How much time passes in Chapter 25?
4. In Chapter 23, what does the narrator describe?
5. In Chapter 30, what stands out most to Sylvanshine about Glendenning?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 33, how does Lane Dean Jr. perform his work?
2. How does David's father's arm get stuck in the train?
3. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
4. What concerns Lane Dean Jr. most about the work he does in Chapter 33?
5. How does David's early IRS training differ from Cusk's?
6. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
7. In Chapter 27, what surprises Cusk when he returns from his break?
8. What task is the narrator given by Gary Manshardt in Chapter 35?
9. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
10. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of post-modernism techniques. Consider the unique text layouts, formats, footnotes, columns, interviews, etc. How do these textual features affect the development of this novel?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of interview in "The Pale King"? Consider the interviews conducted with tax payers, IRS employees and people wishing to become IRS employees. What message is conveyed about the interviewing process?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the purpose and role of supernatural powers in this novel. How are psychic abilities used in the novel? How are phantoms used?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)