|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 26, which is the oldest phantom?
2. How does Cusk feel when he returns from his break in Chapter 27?
3. In Chapter 32, what does the IRS examiner ask someone to do over the phone?
4. In Chapter 31, what do the people wait for?
5. In Chapter 30, what example of outdated material does Sylvanshine talk about with Reynolds?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do IRS workers know of the phantoms?
2. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
3. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
4. In Chapter 22, what reason does David give for going to the IRS for a job?
5. How do the IRS employees entertain themselves in Chapter 32?
6. Why doesn't David exit the van in Chapter 24 with the other people?
7. What task is the narrator given by Gary Manshardt in Chapter 35?
8. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
9. What is Chapter 25 about?
10. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though this novel has many characters, what makes David the protagonist of this novel? Compare his role in the novel to definitions of protagonists. How can a protagonist still exist in such a disjointed novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the author's commentary on government in "The Pale King". What is the preferred relationship between government and citizen? What is the relationship between government and government employee?
Essay Topic 3
How do characters remain the same as they age? How do they change? Compare and contrast the characters who change vs. those who remain the same. What message does this deliver about childhood and the transition into adulthood?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)