|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 30, who is Sylvanshine most interested in while talking with Reynolds?
2. What is something the examiners discuss in Chapter 29?
3. In Chapter 24, what does David note about the van that picks him up?
4. In Chapter 30, what is Sylvanshine's job?
5. In Chapter 24, what part of David's van ride does he describe the most?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
2. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
3. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
4. How do IRS workers know of the phantoms?
5. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
6. Why does Sylvanshine talk to Reynolds over the phone in Chapter 30?
7. What happens with the lawsuits that follow David's father's death?
8. How do the IRS employees entertain themselves in Chapter 32?
9. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
10. How does David's father's arm get stuck in the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of post-modernism techniques. Consider the unique text layouts, formats, footnotes, columns, interviews, etc. How do these textual features affect the development of this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of success in this novel. What things make people successful? What things impede success? What is the overall message about success in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the purpose and role of supernatural powers in this novel. How are psychic abilities used in the novel? How are phantoms used?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)