|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 27, what does Cusk do during his break?
2. In Chapter 24, what part of David's van ride does he describe the most?
3. Why does Cusk avoid looking at the woman who sits near him in Chapter 27?
4. Where does David say he lived after he was hired by the IRS?
5. In Chapter 24, who is the last person on the van once it arrives at the IRS building?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 27, what worries Cusk most about his training?
2. What happens with the lawsuits that follow David's father's death?
3. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
4. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
5. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
6. What is the relationship between the Peoria REC and Martinsburg?
7. In Chapter 22, what reason does David give for going to the IRS for a job?
8. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
9. In Chapter 27, what surprises Cusk when he returns from his break?
10. In Chapter 27, why is the word "profitable" not used officially?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though this novel has many characters, what makes David the protagonist of this novel? Compare his role in the novel to definitions of protagonists. How can a protagonist still exist in such a disjointed novel?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the use of nick names and code words in the IRS. What do these terms suggest about the agency? What do they reveal about the IRS employees? How do they influence the setting of the IRS REC?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the purpose and role of supernatural powers in this novel. How are psychic abilities used in the novel? How are phantoms used?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)