|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Manshardt have with the IRS?
2. In Chapter 30, what stands out most to Sylvanshine about Glendenning?
3. Who are the main characters of Chapter 31?
4. Why does David's father's arm get stuck in the train door in Chapter 22?
5. How does Sylvanshine describe examinations to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
2. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
3. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
4. How do the IRS employees entertain themselves in Chapter 32?
5. In Chapter 27, what reason is given for possibly not conducting an audit?
6. How does David's father's arm get stuck in the train?
7. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
8. How do IRS workers know of the phantoms?
9. In Chapter 27, what surprises Cusk when he returns from his break?
10. How does David's early IRS training differ from Cusk's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do characters remain the same as they age? How do they change? Compare and contrast the characters who change vs. those who remain the same. What message does this deliver about childhood and the transition into adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of symbolism in "The Pale King". Consider the significant jobs in the IRS REC, the IRS van, the pre-employment house and other important objects.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the purpose and role of supernatural powers in this novel. How are psychic abilities used in the novel? How are phantoms used?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)