|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does David first talk about in the beginning of Chapter 22?
2. In Chapter 30, what stands out most to Sylvanshine about Glendenning?
3. What emotional reaction does the narrator say is not associated with phantoms in Chapter 26?
4. What does the narrator say Cusk is avoiding in Chapter 27?
5. What is something the examiners discuss in Chapter 29?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 33, how does Lane Dean Jr. perform his work?
2. In Chapter 27, what surprises Cusk when he returns from his break?
3. Why doesn't David exit the van in Chapter 24 with the other people?
4. In Chapter 27, what reason is given for possibly not conducting an audit?
5. What concerns Lane Dean Jr. most about the work he does in Chapter 33?
6. In Chapter 22, what reason does David give for going to the IRS for a job?
7. What is the relationship between the Peoria REC and Martinsburg?
8. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
9. In Chapter 27, why is the word "profitable" not used officially?
10. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the theme of boredom in this novel. How does the author try to influence his readers' opinions about boredom?
Essay Topic 2
Knowing that "The Pale King" is unfinished, how does this influence the novel? What impact does this have on the development of the plot and the characters? How does the inclusion of author notes influence these things?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of post-modernism techniques. Consider the unique text layouts, formats, footnotes, columns, interviews, etc. How do these textual features affect the development of this novel?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)