|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, what is the primary feelings the narrator tries to convey?
2. Why does David present information about his childhood in Chapter 22?
3. How does David's father die after his arm is stuck in the train in Chapter 22?
4. In Chapter 30, how does Sylvanshine describe Lehrl's future office?
5. What does the narrator say Cusk is avoiding in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
2. In Chapter 27, what worries Cusk most about his training?
3. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
4. What happens with the lawsuits that follow David's father's death?
5. In Chapter 27, what reason is given for possibly not conducting an audit?
6. How do the IRS employees entertain themselves in Chapter 32?
7. In Chapter 27, what surprises Cusk when he returns from his break?
8. How do IRS workers know of the phantoms?
9. What concerns Lane Dean Jr. most about the work he does in Chapter 33?
10. In Chapter 27, why is the word "profitable" not used officially?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do characters remain the same as they age? How do they change? Compare and contrast the characters who change vs. those who remain the same. What message does this deliver about childhood and the transition into adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of success in this novel. What things make people successful? What things impede success? What is the overall message about success in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Knowing that "The Pale King" is unfinished, how does this influence the novel? What impact does this have on the development of the plot and the characters? How does the inclusion of author notes influence these things?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)