|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 22, why does David say he grew up knowing some tax laws?
2. Where does David say he lived after he was hired by the IRS?
3. What does the narrator say Cusk is avoiding in Chapter 27?
4. What happens when David sits next to Cusk on the IRS van?
5. How does Sylvanshine describe examinations to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
2. In Chapter 27, why is the word "profitable" not used officially?
3. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
4. Why does Sylvanshine talk to Reynolds over the phone in Chapter 30?
5. How do the IRS employees entertain themselves in Chapter 32?
6. In Chapter 27, what reason is given for possibly not conducting an audit?
7. What is Chapter 25 about?
8. In Chapter 33, how does Lane Dean Jr. perform his work?
9. In Chapter 22, what reason does David give for going to the IRS for a job?
10. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of post-modernism techniques. Consider the unique text layouts, formats, footnotes, columns, interviews, etc. How do these textual features affect the development of this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Even though this novel has many characters, what makes David the protagonist of this novel? Compare his role in the novel to definitions of protagonists. How can a protagonist still exist in such a disjointed novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the purpose and role of supernatural powers in this novel. How are psychic abilities used in the novel? How are phantoms used?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)