|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does David's father die after his arm is stuck in the train in Chapter 22?
2. In Chapter 24, what level does David say he was hired into the IRS as?
3. Why does David's father put his arm in the train door in Chapter 22?
4. In Chapter 22, what word does David use to describe himself in his youth?
5. In Chapter 32, what does the IRS examiner ask someone to do over the phone?
Short Essay Questions
1. What task is the narrator given by Gary Manshardt in Chapter 35?
2. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
3. In Chapter 27, what reason is given for possibly not conducting an audit?
4. How does David's father's arm get stuck in the train?
5. What is Chapter 25 about?
6. What are IRS phantoms?
7. How does David's early IRS training differ from Cusk's?
8. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
9. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
10. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the role of women in this novel. While most of the IRS employees are men, there are a few women characters who play major roles in the novel. How do women influence the development of the major themes? How do the women interact with the IRS? What influence does this have? In what ways do women exist outside of, and independent of, the IRS?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the use of symbolism in "The Pale King". Consider the significant jobs in the IRS REC, the IRS van, the pre-employment house and other important objects.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the commentary on employment that occurs in this novel. Compare and contrast the types of employment and the relationship between the careers of the characters and their overall happiness.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)