|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cusk feel when he returns from his break in Chapter 27?
2. Why does David feel confused in Chapter 27?
3. What is something the examiners discuss in Chapter 29?
4. In Chapter 22, what does David say was his drug of choice when he was younger?
5. Why does David's father's arm get stuck in the train door in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
2. In Chapter 22, what reason does David give for going to the IRS for a job?
3. What is the relationship between the Peoria REC and Martinsburg?
4. What concerns Lane Dean Jr. most about the work he does in Chapter 33?
5. What is Chapter 25 about?
6. In Chapter 27, what surprises Cusk when he returns from his break?
7. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
8. In Chapter 27, why is the word "profitable" not used officially?
9. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
10. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Knowing that "The Pale King" is unfinished, how does this influence the novel? What impact does this have on the development of the plot and the characters? How does the inclusion of author notes influence these things?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author create setting throughout this novel? How does the IRS become a driving force behind the creation of setting? What makes the setting of this novel important to the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of interview in "The Pale King"? Consider the interviews conducted with tax payers, IRS employees and people wishing to become IRS employees. What message is conveyed about the interviewing process?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)