|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What form does the narrator of Chapter 22 claim to use?
2. What does David say happened to his mother in 1971?
3. Why does David feel confused in Chapter 27?
4. What does Chapter 34 consist of?
5. In Chapter 26, how many phantoms are discussed?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
2. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
3. What is the relationship between the Peoria REC and Martinsburg?
4. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
5. How do IRS workers know of the phantoms?
6. In Chapter 33, how does Lane Dean Jr. perform his work?
7. In Chapter 22, what reason does David give for going to the IRS for a job?
8. What is Chapter 25 about?
9. What task is the narrator given by Gary Manshardt in Chapter 35?
10. In Chapter 27, why is the word "profitable" not used officially?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is characterization accomplished in this novel? Consider the fact that characters will appear in one chapter and not again for several chapters. Consider how many of the characters interact with minor and unnamed characters. Also, how is characterization accomplished in chapters that exist to develop the IRS and setting only?
Essay Topic 2
Knowing that "The Pale King" is unfinished, how does this influence the novel? What impact does this have on the development of the plot and the characters? How does the inclusion of author notes influence these things?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author create setting throughout this novel? How does the IRS become a driving force behind the creation of setting? What makes the setting of this novel important to the novel as a whole?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)