|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cusk feel when he returns from his break in Chapter 27?
2. Who are the main characters of Chapter 31?
3. In Chapter 35, what worries the narrator?
4. In Chapter 26, which is the oldest phantom?
5. In Chapter 30, what stands out most to Sylvanshine about Glendenning?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, what reason does David give for going to the IRS for a job?
2. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
3. In Chapter 27, what reason is given for possibly not conducting an audit?
4. What is Chapter 25 about?
5. What task is the narrator given by Gary Manshardt in Chapter 35?
6. In Chapter 27, what surprises Cusk when he returns from his break?
7. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
8. In Chapter 27, what worries Cusk most about his training?
9. Why does Sylvanshine talk to Reynolds over the phone in Chapter 30?
10. How do the IRS employees entertain themselves in Chapter 32?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author create setting throughout this novel? How does the IRS become a driving force behind the creation of setting? What makes the setting of this novel important to the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
What is the effect of the loosely connected characters of "The Pale King" on the development of the plot? What is the relationship between plot and characterization?
Essay Topic 3
How do characters remain the same as they age? How do they change? Compare and contrast the characters who change vs. those who remain the same. What message does this deliver about childhood and the transition into adulthood?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)