|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, what is the primary feelings the narrator tries to convey?
2. Why does David present information about his childhood in Chapter 22?
3. In Chapter 30, what stands out most to Sylvanshine about Glendenning?
4. What form does the narrator of Chapter 22 claim to use?
5. Where is Sylvanshine in Chapter 30?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
2. What happens with the lawsuits that follow David's father's death?
3. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
4. In Chapter 27, what surprises Cusk when he returns from his break?
5. What concerns Lane Dean Jr. most about the work he does in Chapter 33?
6. In Chapter 33, how does Lane Dean Jr. perform his work?
7. In Chapter 27, what worries Cusk most about his training?
8. What is the relationship between the Peoria REC and Martinsburg?
9. In Chapter 27, why is the word "profitable" not used officially?
10. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the commentary on employment that occurs in this novel. Compare and contrast the types of employment and the relationship between the careers of the characters and their overall happiness.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of boredom in this novel. How does the author try to influence his readers' opinions about boredom?
Essay Topic 3
How does the author create setting throughout this novel? How does the IRS become a driving force behind the creation of setting? What makes the setting of this novel important to the novel as a whole?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)