|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sylvanshine describe examinations to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
2. Why does David present information about his childhood in Chapter 22?
3. In Chapter 32, who does the IRS examiner call?
4. In Chapter 27, where does Cusk sit?
5. In Chapter 22, what word does David use to describe himself in his youth?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, what reason does David give for going to the IRS for a job?
2. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
3. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
4. What are IRS phantoms?
5. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
6. How does David's early IRS training differ from Cusk's?
7. Why does Sylvanshine talk to Reynolds over the phone in Chapter 30?
8. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
9. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
10. In Chapter 33, how does Lane Dean Jr. perform his work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author create setting throughout this novel? How does the IRS become a driving force behind the creation of setting? What makes the setting of this novel important to the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the commentary on employment that occurs in this novel. Compare and contrast the types of employment and the relationship between the careers of the characters and their overall happiness.
Essay Topic 3
How is characterization accomplished in this novel? Consider the fact that characters will appear in one chapter and not again for several chapters. Consider how many of the characters interact with minor and unnamed characters. Also, how is characterization accomplished in chapters that exist to develop the IRS and setting only?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)