|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Peoria REC rely on Martinsburg?
2. In Chapter 22, what makes David interested in tax and tax law?
3. Where does David say he lived after he was hired by the IRS?
4. In Chapter 30, what example of outdated material does Sylvanshine talk about with Reynolds?
5. Where does Cusk run off to during a break in Chapter 27?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
2. How does David's father's arm get stuck in the train?
3. What are IRS phantoms?
4. Why does Sylvanshine talk to Reynolds over the phone in Chapter 30?
5. In Chapter 33, how does Lane Dean Jr. perform his work?
6. In Chapter 27, what worries Cusk most about his training?
7. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
8. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
9. What task is the narrator given by Gary Manshardt in Chapter 35?
10. What concerns Lane Dean Jr. most about the work he does in Chapter 33?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the use of nick names and code words in the IRS. What do these terms suggest about the agency? What do they reveal about the IRS employees? How do they influence the setting of the IRS REC?
Essay Topic 2
Knowing that "The Pale King" is unfinished, how does this influence the novel? What impact does this have on the development of the plot and the characters? How does the inclusion of author notes influence these things?
Essay Topic 3
What is the effect of the loosely connected characters of "The Pale King" on the development of the plot? What is the relationship between plot and characterization?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)