|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What emotional reaction does the narrator say is not associated with phantoms in Chapter 26?
2. Why does Cusk avoid looking at the woman who sits near him in Chapter 27?
3. Why is David's father in a rush to leave Libertyville in Chapter 22?
4. Where is Sylvanshine in Chapter 30?
5. Why does David present information about his childhood in Chapter 22?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, what reason does David give for going to the IRS for a job?
2. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
3. What concerns Lane Dean Jr. most about the work he does in Chapter 33?
4. In Chapter 27, what reason is given for possibly not conducting an audit?
5. In Chapter 27, why is the word "profitable" not used officially?
6. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
7. How does David's father's arm get stuck in the train?
8. What happens with the lawsuits that follow David's father's death?
9. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
10. How does David feel while Ms. Neti-Neti leads him into the IRS REC?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author create setting throughout this novel? How does the IRS become a driving force behind the creation of setting? What makes the setting of this novel important to the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the purpose and role of supernatural powers in this novel. How are psychic abilities used in the novel? How are phantoms used?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the layering of people named David Foster Wallace in this novel. Explore the relationship between the three Davids in the novel: the author, the narrator and the character. What makes these people different? What makes them the same?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)