|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 24, who is the last person on the van once it arrives at the IRS building?
2. How does Sylvanshine describe examinations to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
3. In Chapter 22, why does David say he grew up knowing some tax laws?
4. In Chapter 22, what does David say was his drug of choice when he was younger?
5. What role does Manshardt have with the IRS?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the lawsuits that follow David's father's death?
2. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
3. In Chapter 27, what worries Cusk most about his training?
4. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
5. Why doesn't David exit the van in Chapter 24 with the other people?
6. In Chapter 33, how does Lane Dean Jr. perform his work?
7. What is Chapter 25 about?
8. How do IRS workers know of the phantoms?
9. In Chapter 27, what reason is given for possibly not conducting an audit?
10. What are IRS phantoms?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the use of nick names and code words in the IRS. What do these terms suggest about the agency? What do they reveal about the IRS employees? How do they influence the setting of the IRS REC?
Essay Topic 2
Even though this novel has many characters, what makes David the protagonist of this novel? Compare his role in the novel to definitions of protagonists. How can a protagonist still exist in such a disjointed novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of boredom in this novel. How does the author try to influence his readers' opinions about boredom?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)