|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 23, what is the primary feelings the narrator tries to convey?
2. In Chapter 31, what do the people wait for?
3. In Chapter 24, what does David notice as he walks through the IRS REC building?
4. How does Cusk feel when he returns from his break in Chapter 27?
5. Where does David say he lived after he was hired by the IRS?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 27, what surprises Cusk when he returns from his break?
2. What is Chapter 25 about?
3. How does David's early IRS training differ from Cusk's?
4. How do the IRS employees entertain themselves in Chapter 32?
5. In Chapter 27, why is the word "profitable" not used officially?
6. What are IRS phantoms?
7. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
8. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
9. In Chapter 22, what reason does David give for going to the IRS for a job?
10. What is the relationship between the Peoria REC and Martinsburg?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of symbolism in "The Pale King". Consider the significant jobs in the IRS REC, the IRS van, the pre-employment house and other important objects.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the use of nick names and code words in the IRS. What do these terms suggest about the agency? What do they reveal about the IRS employees? How do they influence the setting of the IRS REC?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the use of dialogue vs the use of description. Look at how each is used in the novel and what makes these uses effective or ineffective.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)