|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title does Lane Dean Jr. have in Chapter 16?
2. In Chapter 15, what opinion does the narrator have about Claude's psychic ability?
3. What is Merrill's middle name?
4. In Chapter 13, what happens when the character tries to hide his sweating?
5. How does the author describe the man in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. How could the interview in Chapter 21 be described?
2. Why do people dislike the boy in Chapter 5?
3. What makes Chapter 20 confusing in the construction of this novel?
4. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about the first few pages of any book?
5. What is the purpose of Chapter 11?
6. In Chapter 19, what seems to be the favored solution to what is wrong with America?
7. What does Stecyk try to do in Chapter 12?
8. In Chapter 5, how is the boy described?
9. What types of information does the author provide via interview in Chapter 14?
10. Why does Dean marry Sheri in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the theme of success in this novel. What things make people successful? What things impede success? What is the overall message about success in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Even though this novel has many characters, what makes David the protagonist of this novel? Compare his role in the novel to definitions of protagonists. How can a protagonist still exist in such a disjointed novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the purpose and role of supernatural powers in this novel. How are psychic abilities used in the novel? How are phantoms used?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)