Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claude know Reynolds?
2. In Chapter 3, how many men are in the car?
3. In Chapter 16, how does Lane feel toward his job?
4. In Chapter 9, what name does the author give the society he lives in.
5. Why doesn't Dean break up with his girlfriend in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
2. Why does Wallace have to watch the interviews in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 5, how is the boy described?
4. Why does Sylvanshine talk to Reynolds over the phone in Chapter 30?
5. How do the girl and her mother get away in Chapter 8?
6. How is Chapter 9 different from the rest of the chapters in this novel?
7. In Chapter 39, what story is told about Stecyk?
8. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
9. In Chapter 13, why does the main character pay attention to the way he sits?
10. Why doesn't David exit the van in Chapter 24 with the other people?
Essay Topic 1
Knowing that "The Pale King" is unfinished, how does this influence the novel? What impact does this have on the development of the plot and the characters? How does the inclusion of author notes influence these things?
Essay Topic 2
How is characterization accomplished in this novel? Consider the fact that characters will appear in one chapter and not again for several chapters. Consider how many of the characters interact with minor and unnamed characters. Also, how is characterization accomplished in chapters that exist to develop the IRS and setting only?
Essay Topic 3
How do characters remain the same as they age? How do they change? Compare and contrast the characters who change vs. those who remain the same. What message does this deliver about childhood and the transition into adulthood?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)