|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, who justifies the role of large organizations?
2. How old is the character who sweats in Chapter 13?
3. What year is given to the interview files in Chapter 14?
4. In Chapter 17, what are IRS jobs compared to?
5. What is the main topic of Chapter 11?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between the Peoria REC and Martinsburg?
2. Why does Sylvanshine talk to Reynolds over the phone in Chapter 30?
3. In Chapter 27, why is the word "profitable" not used officially?
4. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
5. What is the main idea of Chapter 44?
6. How does David describe the van ride after he is hired by the IRS?
7. In Chapter 5, what has happened to the boy's mother?
8. How is Claude's psychic ability described in Chapter 15?
9. In Chapter 5, how is the boy described?
10. How do the characters in Chapter 18 react to Desk Names?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do characters remain the same as they age? How do they change? Compare and contrast the characters who change vs. those who remain the same. What message does this deliver about childhood and the transition into adulthood?
Essay Topic 2
Knowing that "The Pale King" is unfinished, how does this influence the novel? What impact does this have on the development of the plot and the characters? How does the inclusion of author notes influence these things?
Essay Topic 3
How is characterization accomplished in this novel? Consider the fact that characters will appear in one chapter and not again for several chapters. Consider how many of the characters interact with minor and unnamed characters. Also, how is characterization accomplished in chapters that exist to develop the IRS and setting only?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)