|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Claude speak to Merrill in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 19, what is one main reason given for the problems of America?
3. How does Lowtis feel in Chapter 20?
4. In Chapter 2, what ranking does Reynolds hold?
5. In Chapter 2, where is Claude reassigned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stecyk's job in Chapter 14?
2. What makes Chapter 4 different from Chapters 1-3?
3. What makes Chapter 20 confusing in the construction of this novel?
4. In Chapter 9, what does the author say is wrong with his publisher?
5. In Chapter 16, what does Lane Dean Jr.'s character reveal about the work of the IRS?
6. Why does the author talk about the dullness of the IRS in Chapter 9?
7. What types of information does the author provide via interview in Chapter 14?
8. In Chapter 13, what problem does the main character suffer from?
9. In Chapter 5, what has happened to the boy's mother?
10. How do the girl and her mother get away in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the purpose and role of supernatural powers in this novel. How are psychic abilities used in the novel? How are phantoms used?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the author's commentary on government in "The Pale King". What is the preferred relationship between government and citizen? What is the relationship between government and government employee?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the commentary on employment that occurs in this novel. Compare and contrast the types of employment and the relationship between the careers of the characters and their overall happiness.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)