|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author say is good at hiding things?
2. What type of psychic is Claude?
3. In Chapter 15, how are Claude's psychic moments described?
4. How does Claude know Reynolds?
5. In Chapter 10, who justifies the role of large organizations?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the girl and her mother get away in Chapter 8?
2. In Chapter 13, what problem does the main character suffer from?
3. What makes Chapter 20 confusing in the construction of this novel?
4. In Chapter 10, how does the author explain the existence of the bureaucratic systems he describes?
5. How is Chapter 9 different from the rest of the chapters in this novel?
6. What makes Claude happy in Chapter 2?
7. What types of information does the author provide via interview in Chapter 14?
8. In Chapter 9, what does the author say is wrong with his publisher?
9. What point does the author make about the "information society" in Chapter 9?
10. Why do people dislike the boy in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the layering of people named David Foster Wallace in this novel. Explore the relationship between the three Davids in the novel: the author, the narrator and the character. What makes these people different? What makes them the same?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the purpose and role of supernatural powers in this novel. How are psychic abilities used in the novel? How are phantoms used?
Essay Topic 3
What is the effect of the loosely connected characters of "The Pale King" on the development of the plot? What is the relationship between plot and characterization?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)