|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what are IRS jobs compared to?
2. Why does the author suggest researching government documents in Chapter 9?
3. How old is the character who sweats in Chapter 13?
4. Why does Lowtis confront his neighbor in Chapter 20?
5. How does the author present the quoted interviews in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, why does the main character pay attention to the way he sits?
2. What makes Chapter 36 stand apart from the rest of the novel?
3. In Chapter 46, why do Shane and Rand begin a conversation?
4. What does Stecyk try to do in Chapter 12?
5. What concerns Lane Dean Jr. most about the work he does in Chapter 33?
6. Why does David feel he wasted his youth in Chapter 22?
7. What are IRS phantoms?
8. How is Chapter 9 different from the rest of the chapters in this novel?
9. How is Claude's psychic ability described in Chapter 15?
10. How does David's father's arm get stuck in the train?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the author's commentary on government in "The Pale King". What is the preferred relationship between government and citizen? What is the relationship between government and government employee?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of success in this novel. What things make people successful? What things impede success? What is the overall message about success in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the use of post-modernism techniques. Consider the unique text layouts, formats, footnotes, columns, interviews, etc. How do these textual features affect the development of this novel?
This section contains 1,359 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)