|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, why does the narrator say some people are able to speak from the heart during their interviews?
2. Why doesn't Dean break up with his girlfriend in Chapter 6?
3. What type of interviews has Stecyk prepared in Chapter 14?
4. What title does Lane Dean Jr. have in Chapter 16?
5. In Chapter 14, what rank do the prebriefer's have?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does the author say is wrong with his publisher?
2. Why do people dislike the boy in Chapter 5?
3. In Chapter 16, what does Lane Dean Jr.'s character reveal about the work of the IRS?
4. What makes Chapter 20 confusing in the construction of this novel?
5. In Chapter 19, what seems to be the favored solution to what is wrong with America?
6. How could the interview in Chapter 21 be described?
7. What is the purpose of Chapter 11?
8. In the beginning of this novel, how does Claude feel about his job?
9. In Chapter 10, how does the author explain the existence of the bureaucratic systems he describes?
10. While describing Stecyk in Chapter 12, what does the narrator comment on about the boy's future?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the commentary on employment that occurs in this novel. Compare and contrast the types of employment and the relationship between the careers of the characters and their overall happiness.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of success in this novel. What things make people successful? What things impede success? What is the overall message about success in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What role do nameless characters play in this novel? Consider how they affect the plot and the other characters in the novel. How do these nameless characters influence the major themes?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)