Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claude know Reynolds?
2. In Chapter 3, how many men are in the car?
3. In Chapter 16, how does Lane feel toward his job?
4. In Chapter 9, what name does the author give the society he lives in.
5. Why doesn't Dean break up with his girlfriend in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
2. Why does Wallace have to watch the interviews in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 5, how is the boy described?
4. Why does Sylvanshine talk to Reynolds over the phone in Chapter 30?
5. How do the girl and her mother get away in Chapter 8?
6. How is Chapter 9 different from the rest of the chapters in this novel?
7. In Chapter 39, what story is told about Stecyk?
8. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
9. In Chapter 13, why does the main character pay attention to the way he sits?
10. Why doesn't David exit the van in Chapter 24 with the other people?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the use of symbolism in "The Pale King". Consider the significant jobs in the IRS REC, the IRS van, the pre-employment house and other important objects.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the layering of people named David Foster Wallace in this novel. Explore the relationship between the three Davids in the novel: the author, the narrator and the character. What makes these people different? What makes them the same?
Essay Topic 3
Research the IRS to compare the IRS details in the novel to the truth. Why might the author have maintained some facts and disregarded others?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)