Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claude know Reynolds?
2. In Chapter 3, how many men are in the car?
3. In Chapter 16, how does Lane feel toward his job?
4. In Chapter 9, what name does the author give the society he lives in.
5. Why doesn't Dean break up with his girlfriend in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
2. Why does Wallace have to watch the interviews in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 5, how is the boy described?
4. Why does Sylvanshine talk to Reynolds over the phone in Chapter 30?
5. How do the girl and her mother get away in Chapter 8?
6. How is Chapter 9 different from the rest of the chapters in this novel?
7. In Chapter 39, what story is told about Stecyk?
8. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
9. In Chapter 13, why does the main character pay attention to the way he sits?
10. Why doesn't David exit the van in Chapter 24 with the other people?
Essay Topic 1
How is characterization accomplished in this novel? Consider the fact that characters will appear in one chapter and not again for several chapters. Consider how many of the characters interact with minor and unnamed characters. Also, how is characterization accomplished in chapters that exist to develop the IRS and setting only?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of boredom in this novel. How does the author try to influence his readers' opinions about boredom?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of success in this novel. What things make people successful? What things impede success? What is the overall message about success in this novel?
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)