Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Claude know Reynolds?
2. In Chapter 3, how many men are in the car?
3. In Chapter 16, how does Lane feel toward his job?
4. In Chapter 9, what name does the author give the society he lives in.
5. Why doesn't Dean break up with his girlfriend in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 22, why does David take a long time getting to the train?
2. Why does Wallace have to watch the interviews in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 5, how is the boy described?
4. Why does Sylvanshine talk to Reynolds over the phone in Chapter 30?
5. How do the girl and her mother get away in Chapter 8?
6. How is Chapter 9 different from the rest of the chapters in this novel?
7. In Chapter 39, what story is told about Stecyk?
8. In Chapter 22, what details does David give to explain his parents' divorce?
9. In Chapter 13, why does the main character pay attention to the way he sits?
10. Why doesn't David exit the van in Chapter 24 with the other people?
Essay Topic 1
How does the author create setting throughout this novel? How does the IRS become a driving force behind the creation of setting? What makes the setting of this novel important to the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the use of dialogue vs the use of description. Look at how each is used in the novel and what makes these uses effective or ineffective.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the theme of boredom in this novel. How does the author try to influence his readers' opinions about boredom?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)