|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does RECs stand for?
2. How does Claude know Reynolds?
3. What makes Lane feel out of place in Chapter 16?
4. What is the main topic of Chapter 11?
5. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about the genre of this novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the beginning of this novel, how does Claude feel about his job?
2. How is Claude's psychic ability described in Chapter 15?
3. How do the characters in Chapter 18 react to Desk Names?
4. Why does Dean marry Sheri in Chapter 6?
5. How is Chapter 9 different from the rest of the chapters in this novel?
6. In Chapter 16, what does Lane Dean Jr.'s character reveal about the work of the IRS?
7. What makes Chapter 4 different from Chapters 1-3?
8. In Chapter 13, what problem does the main character suffer from?
9. In Chapter 9, what does the author say is wrong with his publisher?
10. In Chapter 13, why does the main character pay attention to the way he sits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the effect of the loosely connected characters of "The Pale King" on the development of the plot? What is the relationship between plot and characterization?
Essay Topic 2
How does the author create setting throughout this novel? How does the IRS become a driving force behind the creation of setting? What makes the setting of this novel important to the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the use of nick names and code words in the IRS. What do these terms suggest about the agency? What do they reveal about the IRS employees? How do they influence the setting of the IRS REC?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)