|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, how do other people react to the man?
2. What does the author say is a lie in Chapter 9?
3. How does the author identify the men in Chapter 3?
4. What year is given to the interview files in Chapter 14?
5. In Chapter 14, why is Spackman mentioned?
Short Essay Questions
1. What makes Claude happy in Chapter 2?
2. In Chapter 19, what seems to be the favored solution to what is wrong with America?
3. In Chapter 5, how is the boy described?
4. Why does Wallace have to watch the interviews in Chapter 14?
5. What is the purpose of Chapter 11?
6. Why do people dislike the boy in Chapter 5?
7. How is Claude's psychic ability described in Chapter 15?
8. In Chapter 5, what has happened to the boy's mother?
9. Why does the author claim this novel is memoir in Chapter 9?
10. In Chapter 13, why does the main character pay attention to the way he sits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author create setting throughout this novel? How does the IRS become a driving force behind the creation of setting? What makes the setting of this novel important to the novel as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the commentary on employment that occurs in this novel. Compare and contrast the types of employment and the relationship between the careers of the characters and their overall happiness.
Essay Topic 3
Knowing that "The Pale King" is unfinished, how does this influence the novel? What impact does this have on the development of the plot and the characters? How does the inclusion of author notes influence these things?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)