|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what has happened to the man's mother?
2. Who is meant to review the interviews in Chapter 14?
3. What does Stecyk deliver in Chapter 12?
4. What name does the author give himself in Chapter 9?
5. In Chapter 14, what is the IRS revealed to have been in the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. While describing Stecyk in Chapter 12, what does the narrator comment on about the boy's future?
2. In Chapter 13, why does the main character pay attention to the way he sits?
3. Why does Dean marry Sheri in Chapter 6?
4. Why do people dislike the boy in Chapter 5?
5. What makes Chapter 20 confusing in the construction of this novel?
6. In Chapter 5, what has happened to the boy's mother?
7. What is Stecyk's job in Chapter 14?
8. How does Stecyk change from Chapter 12 to Chapter 14?
9. Why does the author claim this novel is memoir in Chapter 9?
10. In Chapter 13, what problem does the main character suffer from?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though this novel has many characters, what makes David the protagonist of this novel? Compare his role in the novel to definitions of protagonists. How can a protagonist still exist in such a disjointed novel?
Essay Topic 2
Explore the purpose and role of supernatural powers in this novel. How are psychic abilities used in the novel? How are phantoms used?
Essay Topic 3
Research the IRS to compare the IRS details in the novel to the truth. Why might the author have maintained some facts and disregarded others?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)