|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Chapter 11 constructed?
2. How does the author represent questions during the interviews in Chapter 14?
3. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about the genre of this novel?
4. In Chapter 6, what upsets Dean most about his relationship with his girlfriend?
5. What is Dean's main concern in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Wallace have to watch the interviews in Chapter 14?
2. How is Chapter 9 different from the rest of the chapters in this novel?
3. How do the girl and her mother get away in Chapter 8?
4. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about the first few pages of any book?
5. In Chapter 5, how is the boy described?
6. What point does the author make about the "information society" in Chapter 9?
7. In Chapter 13, why does the main character pay attention to the way he sits?
8. Why does the author claim this novel is memoir in Chapter 9?
9. How does Stecyk change from Chapter 12 to Chapter 14?
10. Why does Dean marry Sheri in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the commentary on employment that occurs in this novel. Compare and contrast the types of employment and the relationship between the careers of the characters and their overall happiness.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the theme of success in this novel. What things make people successful? What things impede success? What is the overall message about success in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the purpose and role of supernatural powers in this novel. How are psychic abilities used in the novel? How are phantoms used?
This section contains 799 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)