|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what part of the character's body is not affected by the sweat attacks?
(a) His back.
(b) His hair.
(c) No part is unaffected.
(d) His feet.
2. What is revealed to be a joke in Chapter 14?
(a) The previous president.
(b) The head of the IRS.
(c) Some previous IRS protocols.
(d) The role of women in the IRS.
3. Why is the taxpayer being interviewed in Chapter 21?
(a) To confuse them.
(b) To get them to pay taxes.
(c) To play a trick on them.
(d) To return money to them.
4. Why is Lane outside of the office in Chapter 16?
(a) He is going to court.
(b) It is a weekend.
(c) It is a lunch break.
(d) He is in the office.
5. In Chapter 14, why does the narrator say some people are able to speak from the heart during their interviews?
(a) They are naturals.
(b) They are trained actors.
(c) No one gives an interview from the heart.
(d) They have better interviewers.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, why is Spackman mentioned?
2. What is described in Chapter 10?
3. In Chapter 9, where does the author say he kept his notes for this novel?
4. In Chapter 14, how are Stecyk's interviews described by the IRS?
5. In Chapter 14, what is the IRS revealed to have been in the past?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author claim this novel is memoir in Chapter 9?
2. In Chapter 13, what problem does the main character suffer from?
3. How is Claude's psychic ability described in Chapter 15?
4. How do the girl and her mother get away in Chapter 8?
5. In Chapter 9, what does the author say is wrong with his publisher?
6. In Chapter 10, how does the author explain the existence of the bureaucratic systems he describes?
7. What makes Claude happy in Chapter 2?
8. In Chapter 5, how is the boy described?
9. In Chapter 16, what does Lane Dean Jr.'s character reveal about the work of the IRS?
10. What is the purpose of Chapter 11?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)