|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 19, what is one main reason given for the problems of America?
(a) A lack of immigration controls.
(b) A lack of Civics classes in school.
(c) Too many government employees.
(d) Not enough private sector jobs.
2. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author question?
(a) The presence of silence.
(b) The secrecy of men.
(c) The hidden motivations of people.
(d) The role of government.
3. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about the genre of this novel?
(a) That it closely resembles a memoir.
(b) That it is literary fiction.
(c) That it will remind the reader of nonfiction.
(d) That it is historical fiction.
4. In Chapter 2, where does Claude allude to previously working?
(b) Washington D.C.
(d) New York City.
5. How does Stecyk's neighbors react to him in Chapter 12?
(a) They run away from him.
(b) They laugh at him.
(c) They are annoyed.
(d) They are pleased.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does the author say was once pitted against efficacy?
2. In Chapter 9, where does the author say he kept his notes for this novel?
3. What is revealed to be a joke in Chapter 14?
4. What are Desk Names, as defined in Chapter 18?
5. How does the author present the quoted interviews in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the IRS employees entertain themselves in Chapter 32?
2. What is Stecyk's job in Chapter 14?
3. Why do people dislike the boy in Chapter 5?
4. Why does Dean marry Sheri in Chapter 6?
5. In Chapter 27, what reason is given for possibly not conducting an audit?
6. In Chapter 19, what seems to be the favored solution to what is wrong with America?
7. How is Chapter 9 different from the rest of the chapters in this novel?
8. In Chapter 27, why is the word "profitable" not used officially?
9. What is Chapter 25 about?
10. In Chapter 13, why does the main character pay attention to the way he sits?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)