|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What name does the author give himself in Chapter 9?
(a) Foster Wallace.
(b) David Foster.
(c) David Wallace.
(d) David Foster Wallace.
2. In the beginning Chapter 6, how old is Dean?
(a) A child.
(b) An adult.
(c) A baby.
(d) A teenager.
3. Why does the author say he was given a new social security number?
(a) Because he moved to a new country.
(b) Because he worked for the government.
(c) Because he lost his.
(d) He was not given a new social security number.
4. In Chapter 8, who does the girl run away with?
(b) Her friend.
(c) Her mother's boyfriend.
(d) Her mother.
5. In Chapter 19, what is one main reason given for the problems of America?
(a) Not enough private sector jobs.
(b) Too many government employees.
(c) A lack of immigration controls.
(d) A lack of Civics classes in school.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 13, what part of the character's body is not affected by the sweat attacks?
2. In Chapter 21, what does the interviewer seem most interested in?
3. In Chapter 9, where does the author say he kept his notes for this novel?
4. In Chapter 15, how are Claude's psychic moments described?
5. In Chapter 13, what happens when the character tries to hide his sweating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of Chapter 11?
2. Why does the author talk about the dullness of the IRS in Chapter 9?
3. How is Claude's psychic ability described in Chapter 15?
4. In Chapter 5, how is the boy described?
5. What types of information does the author provide via interview in Chapter 14?
6. In the beginning of this novel, how does Claude feel about his job?
7. What is Stecyk's job in Chapter 14?
8. In Chapter 19, what seems to be the favored solution to what is wrong with America?
9. What makes Chapter 20 confusing in the construction of this novel?
10. In Chapter 16, what does Lane Dean Jr.'s character reveal about the work of the IRS?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)