|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author say is a lie in Chapter 9?
(a) The book's title.
(b) The book.
(c) The book's reputation.
(d) The book's disclaimer.
2. What makes Lane feel out of place in Chapter 16?
(a) Being left out of gossip.
(b) Not knowing the new laws.
(c) Wearing the wrong thing.
(d) Forgetting his money.
3. How is Chapter 17 presented?
(a) As a poem.
(b) As a newspaper article.
(c) As a quote.
(d) As an interview.
4. How does the author present the quoted interviews in Chapter 14?
(a) By last name.
(b) There is no order.
(c) By date of birth.
(d) By social security number.
5. What is the main topic of Chapter 11?
(a) Physical violence in government workers.
(b) Illness associated with working for the IRS.
(c) Side effects of medicine.
(d) Dangers caused by infectious disease.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is revealed to be a joke in Chapter 14?
2. How does Lowtis feel in Chapter 20?
3. In Chapter 9, what does the author point out about televisions?
4. Why does Claude speak to Merrill in Chapter 2?
5. At the end of Chapter 9, what does the author say is good at hiding things?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 13, why does the main character pay attention to the way he sits?
2. What types of information does the author provide via interview in Chapter 14?
3. Why does Wallace have to watch the interviews in Chapter 14?
4. In Chapter 16, what does Lane Dean Jr.'s character reveal about the work of the IRS?
5. What is Chapter 25 about?
6. What makes Chapter 36 stand apart from the rest of the novel?
7. In Chapter 39, what story is told about Stecyk?
8. Why is Lehrl's office so important to Reynolds in Chapter 30?
9. How does Stecyk change from Chapter 12 to Chapter 14?
10. While describing Stecyk in Chapter 12, what does the narrator comment on about the boy's future?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)