|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does the author say was once pitted against efficacy?
(b) The public.
2. How does Claude's ranking compare with Reynold's ranking in Chapter 2?
(a) Claude's is lower.
(b) Claude's is higher.
(c) They are ranked differently and can't be compared.
(d) Claude's is the same.
3. How does Chapter 1 explain the plot of this novel?
(a) It creates a strong setting.
(b) It discusses the major themes.
(c) It doesn't.
(d) It describes the main characters.
4. What name does the author give himself in Chapter 9?
(a) Foster Wallace.
(b) David Foster Wallace.
(c) David Foster.
(d) David Wallace.
5. What is the main topic of Chapter 11?
(a) Dangers caused by infectious disease.
(b) Illness associated with working for the IRS.
(c) Side effects of medicine.
(d) Physical violence in government workers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the taxpayer being interviewed in Chapter 21?
2. What makes Lane feel out of place in Chapter 16?
3. In Chapter 18, how does Glendenning feel about Desk Names?
4. In Chapter 9, what does the author point out about televisions?
5. In Chapter 6, what upsets Dean most about his relationship with his girlfriend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do people dislike the boy in Chapter 5?
2. While describing Stecyk in Chapter 12, what does the narrator comment on about the boy's future?
3. How do the characters in Chapter 18 react to Desk Names?
4. In Chapter 16, what does Lane Dean Jr.'s character reveal about the work of the IRS?
5. Why does Wallace have to watch the interviews in Chapter 14?
6. What is the purpose of Chapter 11?
7. In Chapter 10, how does the author explain the existence of the bureaucratic systems he describes?
8. How could the interview in Chapter 21 be described?
9. How is Claude's psychic ability described in Chapter 15?
10. What types of information does the author provide via interview in Chapter 14?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)