|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 14, why is Spackman mentioned?
(a) Because of his quitting.
(b) Because of his interview.
(c) Because of his memo.
(d) Because of his power.
2. In Chapter 9, who does the author blame for problems with editing this novel?
3. What textual feature does Chapter 9 have that is missing from the other chapters?
(c) In-text citations.
4. In Chapter 9, why does the author single out the year 1985?
(a) For the changes in tax law.
(b) For the death of a loved one.
(c) For the presidential election.
(d) For the birth of his son.
5. In Chapter 9, what year does the author say it is?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does the author say was once pitted against efficacy?
2. Who does Claude Sylvanshine work for?
3. In the beginning Chapter 6, how old is Dean?
4. What does the author say is a lie in Chapter 9?
5. In Chapter 13, what happens when the character tries to hide his sweating?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author claim this novel is memoir in Chapter 9?
2. What is Stecyk's job in Chapter 14?
3. While describing Stecyk in Chapter 12, what does the narrator comment on about the boy's future?
4. What is the purpose of Chapter 11?
5. In Chapter 5, how is the boy described?
6. In Chapter 13, what problem does the main character suffer from?
7. In Chapter 19, what seems to be the favored solution to what is wrong with America?
8. What makes Chapter 20 confusing in the construction of this novel?
9. Why does Dean marry Sheri in Chapter 6?
10. In Chapter 9, what does the author say about the first few pages of any book?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)