|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does natural selection say must be true for change to be preserved?
2. Which of the following tends to live over larger areas?
3. Which species require more years for change?
4. What classification has a large number of species?
5. What results as a climate becomes more hostile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the difference between domesticated and wild animals, according to Darwin?
2. What is the importance of indefinite variations?
3. What factors contribute to the slowdown in reproduction in a species?
4. Why would natural selection be considered counter-intuitive?
5. How can the geology of mountains and valleys be related to natural selection?
6. How does Darwin propose a theory that goes against long-held popular belief?
7. How do Naturalists define a species and a variety?
8. Why is a flying mammal such as a bat difficult to explain through natural selection?
9. What can't all examples for disused organs be attributed to correlational growth?
10. Why is natural selection much broader than domestic selection by humans?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would a dramatic climate change affect a species? Consider the affect of the climate becoming (a) colder and (b) warmer. Use Darwin's arguments and explanations for this essay, provide examples of how each type of change would affect a species.
Essay Topic 2
Darwin understands that his research methods are inadequate for the extent of his theory. Why do you think he admits this flaw, and how does Darwin propose to overcome flaws in his research?
Essay Topic 3
Variations are, according to Darwin, naturally selected for because of their use to the species. How are variations passed on from one generation to the next? What types of trait variations have occurred that have improved survival of a species?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)