|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do naturalists call a situation where a child takes on characteristics NOT shared by the parents?
2. What bodily system do some scientists believe is responsible for producing individual differences?
3. In extreme environments, what are species in competition with?
4. What is unique about white cats with blue eyes?
5. Which of the following is a radical change in the structure or behavior of an organism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Darwin feel the distinction between species variations is arbitrary?
2. What can't all examples for disused organs be attributed to correlational growth?
3. Why is natural selection much broader than domestic selection by humans?
4. How does natural selection explain why organisms pair with other organisms?
5. What is the ultimate result of the constant struggle to live?
6. Why would, on some islands, nature select for beetles that do not fly?
7. Why isn't it safe to assume that regions that are physically connected in the present day were connected in the past?
8. Why would natural selection be considered counter-intuitive?
9. Why are the laws of inheritance still not understood?
10. Is there a cycle to the struggle for existence? Explain.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Darwin discusses four objections to his theory. Discuss these objections. Do you think Darwin makes valid points to explain away these objections? Can you find flaws in either the objections to Darwin's theory of the theory itself?
Essay Topic 2
Variations are, according to Darwin, naturally selected for because of their use to the species. How are variations passed on from one generation to the next? What types of trait variations have occurred that have improved survival of a species?
Essay Topic 3
Darwin discusses differences due to barriers. Discuss this rationality. Does Darwin's explanation make sense? Are there examples that may prove/disprove this rationale?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)