Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had a mental age between 3 and 7?
2. What was Lombroso's theory known as?
3. Bolk felt what race was not only the most progressive, but also the most retarded?
4. The German psychologist W. Stern argued that mental age should be ____________ by chronological age.
5. Burt seemed to have increased his sample of patients from fewer then 20 to more than ________ in a number of publications. This irregularity began the undoing of his work's findings.
Essay Topic 1
The concept of inferiority seems to be one early scientists were very eager to identify. In doing so, it seems, they could help society become stronger and more powerful.
Part 1: What seems to be the definition of inferiority as measured by the scientists in the studies Gould has shed light on?
Part 2: Why does inferiority need to be identified in any society? What are the benefits to this labeling?
Part 3: What are the negative effects of creating a group of people who are considered by scientists to be inferior to others?
Essay Topic 2
One of the popular craniometry scientists was Robert Bennett Bean. This Virginian physician again tried to find the differences between whites and blacks in order to prove the disparity of intelligence.
Part 1: What did Bean gather data on for his research study?
Part 2: What was Bean claiming as the results of his research? What were the differences between the two races?
Part 3: What were 2 of the 4 arguments Gould had again Bean's research?
Essay Topic 3
Biological determinism is the concept upon which the ranking systems in this book are based. By taking into consideration biology, it is thought that scientists can begin to form systems of ranking.
Part 1: What is the definition of biological determinism?
Part 2: What are some examples of research the relies on biological determinism?
Part 3: Does biological determinism seem to be a logical place to begin a system of ranking people according to value? Why or why not?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)