Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had a mental age between 3 and 7?
2. What was Lombroso's theory known as?
3. Bolk felt what race was not only the most progressive, but also the most retarded?
4. The German psychologist W. Stern argued that mental age should be ____________ by chronological age.
5. Burt seemed to have increased his sample of patients from fewer then 20 to more than ________ in a number of publications. This irregularity began the undoing of his work's findings.
Essay Topic 1
Recapitulation is an idea that seems to allow for the ranking of people from high to low. This idea is one of the many that sprang up in the nineteenth century, and Gould is quick to point out the main issues.
Part 1: How is recapitulation defined?
Part 2: What did this theory provide that other scientific theories did not?
Part 3: How were adults and children used in the scientific theory of recapitulation?
Essay Topic 2
Biological determinism is the concept upon which the ranking systems in this book are based. By taking into consideration biology, it is thought that scientists can begin to form systems of ranking.
Part 1: What is the definition of biological determinism?
Part 2: What are some examples of research the relies on biological determinism?
Part 3: Does biological determinism seem to be a logical place to begin a system of ranking people according to value? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Cyril Burt is distinguished in this book by having his own separate chapter in which he receives Gould's attention. This medical tester who studied twins seems to have created a theory based in improper studies and data collection.
Part 1: In relation to the errors of Cyril Burt, what is the definition of factor analysis?
Part 2: How did Burt use factor analysis incorrectly in his work?
Part 3: What are some of the other errors uncovered in Burt's studies of twins?
This section contains 1,816 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)