|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. David Hume was a believer in the superiority of the _______ and polygeny.
2. What was Francis Galton's book published in 1869?
3. Gould says the manner in which ___________ are formulated is also problematic to studies.
4. Which was the top-ranked race in practitioners of racial ranking?
5. Who was the skull collector that had more than one thousand different skulls?
Short Essay Questions
1. Define the idea of monogenism.
2. What were some of the additional factors Gratiolet studied in order to determine the effect of brain size?
3. What are the two groups Gould identifies within the idea of ranking blacks and other races?
4. If given the races of Indian, Black, and White, how would these be ranked, according to the early craniometry methods?
5. What were the results of Bean's work, as he found the differences between the races and the genders?
6. What does Gould want to define ranking as?
7. What is Socrates' idea as to how classes and categories will be formed in relation to people in a society?
8. What does Gould want to study in relation to the science related to the arguments for biological determinism?
9. Who was Francis Galton and what did he do for the scientific study of intelligence measurement?
10. Why did Broca feel women should be denied the benefits of education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What's interesting is the Binet seems to be the one scientist who is concerned about how his findings would be used in everyday life and for everyday people.
Part 1: What was Binet worried about in regards to the tests he administered?
Part 2: What were the three rules Binet devised in order to ensure his test would not be misused?
Part 3: What did Binet suggest young children with learning issues might need?
Essay Topic 2
Biological determinism is the concept upon which the ranking systems in this book are based. By taking into consideration biology, it is thought that scientists can begin to form systems of ranking.
Part 1: What is the definition of biological determinism?
Part 2: What are some examples of research the relies on biological determinism?
Part 3: Does biological determinism seem to be a logical place to begin a system of ranking people according to value? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Another researcher of brain size was Paul Broca. This professor of surgery used numbers which Gould is unsure were legitimate in order to show, one again, the inferiority of blacks.
Part 1: What does Gould think Broca did before doing his research that affected the results?
Part 2: What were Broca's numbers and results based on?
Part 3: In what way were Broca's studies biased?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)