|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of disease can cause the brain to diminish in size before death?
2. The author of "An American Dilemma" says that Americans and others would only consider the __________ factors when they were forced to.
3. Where was Robert Bennett Bean a physician?
4. Where did Francis Galton have a display in 1884?
5. Franklin P. Mall __________ and __________ Bean's work.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gould say is one of the reasons for the failure of biological determinism?
2. Why did Broca feel women should be denied the benefits of education?
3. What did Blumenbach believe the anatomical structure differences between blacks and whites were the result of?
4. What was Havelock Ellis' major claim in his study of the measurement of bodies in order to determine value?
5. Who was Serres, in relation to the polygenism movement? What did he study and find to be true?
6. Who was Francis Galton and what did he do for the scientific study of intelligence measurement?
7. What did Binet do in order to fulfill the obligations of his commission in 1904?
8. Define the idea of polygenism.
9. Finding the errors and pointing them out is just a part of what, according to Gould?
10. If given the races of Indian, Black, and White, how would these be ranked, according to the early craniometry methods?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cyril Burt is distinguished in this book by having his own separate chapter in which he receives Gould's attention. This medical tester who studied twins seems to have created a theory based in improper studies and data collection.
Part 1: In relation to the errors of Cyril Burt, what is the definition of factor analysis?
Part 2: How did Burt use factor analysis incorrectly in his work?
Part 3: What are some of the other errors uncovered in Burt's studies of twins?
Essay Topic 2
Another researcher of brain size was Paul Broca. This professor of surgery used numbers which Gould is unsure were legitimate in order to show, one again, the inferiority of blacks.
Part 1: What does Gould think Broca did before doing his research that affected the results?
Part 2: What were Broca's numbers and results based on?
Part 3: In what way were Broca's studies biased?
Essay Topic 3
The idea that criminal behavior is hereditary is another idea that springs up during the introduction of evolution. The notion that criminal tendencies could spring up in the genes and then in the behaviors was widely accepted.
Part 1: Who was the main researcher of this idea of criminal behavior based on hereditary patterns?
Part 2: What were the weaknesses of this researcher's studies?
Part 3: What was the theory of atavism and what did it mean to society?
This section contains 2,171 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)