|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Francis Galton have a display in 1884?
2. According to Gould, Broca's studies were __________ by his choice of what to observe to provide that white brains were larger than black brains.
3. Motor functions are performed at the _________ of the brain.
4. Gould says the manner in which ___________ are formulated is also problematic to studies.
5. The craniometry argument is the first __________ argument that has been offered.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gould find to be the main problem with Paul Broca's work?
2. What were some of the additional factors Gratiolet studied in order to determine the effect of brain size?
3. What are the two groups Gould identifies within the idea of ranking blacks and other races?
4. If given the races of Indian, Black, and White, how would these be ranked, according to the early craniometry methods?
5. What are some of the arguments that have been used to justify the rankings of people in society?
6. What are the two views that resulted in the study of racial inferiority?
7. Who are two of the famous figures from history who are noted as believing in the inferiority of the blacks?
8. What does Gould want to define ranking as?
9. What are 2 of the four points Gould keeps in mind as he examines the studies of the researchers in this book?
10. Who was Francis Galton and what did he do for the scientific study of intelligence measurement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cyril Burt is distinguished in this book by having his own separate chapter in which he receives Gould's attention. This medical tester who studied twins seems to have created a theory based in improper studies and data collection.
Part 1: In relation to the errors of Cyril Burt, what is the definition of factor analysis?
Part 2: How did Burt use factor analysis incorrectly in his work?
Part 3: What are some of the other errors uncovered in Burt's studies of twins?
Essay Topic 2
The idea that criminal behavior is hereditary is another idea that springs up during the introduction of evolution. The notion that criminal tendencies could spring up in the genes and then in the behaviors was widely accepted.
Part 1: Who was the main researcher of this idea of criminal behavior based on hereditary patterns?
Part 2: What were the weaknesses of this researcher's studies?
Part 3: What was the theory of atavism and what did it mean to society?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of ranking people is the primary focus of this book. When we can rank people, we can classify them as more or less valuable to society, it seems.
Part 1: What are some of the other benefits of ranking people in this world?
Part 2: What are the disadvantages of ranking people in society?
Part 3: How are some ways we rank people already? Are there already systems of ranking present in this world? What are they? How do they work? Are they effective?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)