|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who believes blacks are inferior but that intelligence should not be tied to the right for freedom?
(a) Hard liners
(b) Soft liners
(c) Racial ranking staff
(d) Red liners
2. "We now encounter the second ____________ - ranking..."
3. What is the one category to which Socrates does NOT say people belong?
4. Flaws in the experimental design, according to Gould, do not lead to _________ in the numbers.
(b) the right sums
(c) proper graphs
5. Who were like white adolescents?
(a) White children
(b) Adult blacks
(c) Adult Mongolians
(d) Black children
6. Hume believed there was never a __________ nation that wasn't made of white men.
(a) conflict ridden
7. Louis Pierre Gratiolet wanted to prove that __________ brains were bigger than __________ brains.
(a) French, German
(b) German, French
(c) American, French
(d) German, American
8. David Hume was a believer in the superiority of the _______ and polygeny.
(a) white race
(b) white female
(c) black race
(d) white child
9. Leaders of the eighteenth and nineteenth century did not dispute __________.
(a) scientists in general
(b) scientific errors
(c) racial ranking
(d) medical findings
10. Within what century did science become fascinated with numbers?
11. What does Gould want to find in science that will support the idea that biological determinism is a result of social prejudice?
(a) Faulty logic
(b) Cultural influences
(c) Bad data systems
(d) Errors in correlation
12. Where was Robert Bennett Bean a physician?
13. The answer to #48 said that humans were distinguished from _________ by the human's ability to improve himself.
14. What did Galton measure in order to ascertain the intelligence of people?
(a) Their leg length
(b) Their skull
(c) The space between their eyes
(d) Their wrist
15. According to Gould, science must be viewed in its ________ context since culture and environment also influence facts and theories.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Francis Galton's cousin?
2. Broca's numbers were based on his ______________, according to Gould.
3. Broca also thought that ________ should be denied the benefits of education due to smaller brains.
4. Who is the author of "An American Dilemma?"
5. The answer to #55 was known as a _________ because he looked for small differences between species.
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)