|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which view was based on the story of Adam and Eve?
(b) Racial ranking
2. Who were like white adolescents?
(a) Adult blacks
(b) White children
(c) Adult Mongolians
(d) Black children
3. What kinds of weaknesses is Gould looking to find in the arguments of other scientists presented in this book?
4. Who was Francis Galton's cousin?
(a) Benjamin Franklin
(b) Charles Darwin
(c) Paul Broca
(d) Stephen Gould
5. What does Socrates feel will happen when all people are intelligent?
(a) Society will become enlightened.
(b) Society will become revolutionary.
(c) Society will stop changing.
(d) Society will remain stable.
6. Bean felt that the ______, or front part of the brain, was smaller in women than in men.
(a) frontal lobe
(d) corpus callosum
7. Gould says the claims of inferiority are limited to ____________ even thought race, sex, and social class are tied together.
(a) one study
(b) one scientist
(c) one setting
(d) one group
8. "Plato relied upon dialectic, the Church upon __________."
9. Craniometry is used for the _______ status of the people ranked at the bottom of the hierarchy.
10. It is logical to assume that mentality and ____________ are located in the brain.
11. Gould calls biological determinism a theory of _____________ that has had a profound effect on many people.
12. Within what century did science become fascinated with numbers?
13. Gould also wants to look for problems in the ___________ data.
14. People with ______ had smaller brain sizes than those who were suddenly killed in accidents.
(d) low iron
15. Louis Pierre Gratiolet wanted to prove that __________ brains were bigger than __________ brains.
(a) French, German
(b) American, French
(c) German, American
(d) German, French
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the data analyst for the answer to #55?
2. Blumenbach believed differences in races might be linked to __________.
3. Gould wants to reexamine the existing __________ for craniometry and intelligence testing.
4. "For the past two centuries, scientific claims have become the primary agent for validating Plato's ________."
5. Which view was based on the idea that inferior races can not be linked to the whites because they started from a separate group of DNA and people?
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)