|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of disease can cause the brain to diminish in size before death?
2. Broca also thought that ________ should be denied the benefits of education due to smaller brains.
(c) elderly people
3. "We now encounter the second ____________ - ranking..."
4. If inferiority is cultural, then it can be changed by __________ factors
5. Did a desire for ______ lead to the questions and data to support a predetermined conclusion?
6. Gould says the claims of inferiority are limited to ____________ even thought race, sex, and social class are tied together.
(a) one scientist
(b) one study
(c) one setting
(d) one group
7. The craniometry argument is the first __________ argument that has been offered.
8. What does Gould want to find in science that will support the idea that biological determinism is a result of social prejudice?
(a) Bad data systems
(b) Faulty logic
(c) Cultural influences
(d) Errors in correlation
9. The answer to #48 said that humans were distinguished from _________ by the human's ability to improve himself.
10. Who is the author of "An American Dilemma?"
(a) Benjamin Franklin
(b) Stephen Gould
(c) Gunnar Myrdal
11. The author of "An American Dilemma" says that Americans and others would only consider the __________ factors when they were forced to.
12. "Plato relied upon dialectic, the Church upon __________."
13. What means there is some sort of ordering that is used in assigning individuals to their relevant spot?
(c) Scientific study
(d) Theoretic discourse
14. Gould wants to reexamine the existing __________ for craniometry and intelligence testing.
(a) data sets
(b) scientific researchers
15. The individual's social and economic status is determined by biology so any attempt to make changes has to be _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which was the second-ranked race for the practitioners of racial ranking?
2. In America, the theory of polygeny was supported by Louis __________.
3. Which was the top-ranked race in practitioners of racial ranking?
4. Who feels that blacks are inferior and therefore deserve the status of a slave?
5. Gould does not view the studies he will cover as _______ scientific practices.
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)