|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Franklin P. Mall __________ and __________ Bean's work.
(a) repeated, agreed with
(b) idolized, copied
(c) repeated, refuted
(d) understood, appreciated
2. What kinds of weaknesses is Gould looking to find in the arguments of other scientists presented in this book?
3. The answer to #55 was known as a _________ because he looked for small differences between species.
(a) species expert
(b) microcosm expert
4. If inferiority is cultural, then it can be changed by __________ factors
5. The individual's social and economic status is determined by biology so any attempt to make changes has to be _________.
6. Gould does not view the studies he will cover as _______ scientific practices.
(d) out of date
7. "For the past two centuries, scientific claims have become the primary agent for validating Plato's ________."
8. What does Socrates feel will happen when all people are intelligent?
(a) Society will stop changing.
(b) Society will remain stable.
(c) Society will become revolutionary.
(d) Society will become enlightened.
9. Gould says the manner in which ___________ are formulated is also problematic to studies.
(a) study conditions
(c) scientific questions
(d) data sets
10. Gould says the claims of inferiority are limited to ____________ even thought race, sex, and social class are tied together.
(a) one group
(b) one scientist
(c) one study
(d) one setting
11. When did craniometry first appear in the study of intelligence?
(a) Late 19th century
(b) Early 19th century
(c) Last 18th century
(d) Early 18th century
12. On what did Bean gather information?
(a) Corpus callosum
(b) Family intelligence
(c) Shoe size
(d) Social status
13. Who was the data analyst for the answer to #55?
(d) No one
14. What other kind of testing, besides head measurement, can begin to measure the intelligence of a person?
15. Who considered that other factors like general health and body size might also affect brain size?
Short Answer Questions
1. Craniometry is used for the _______ status of the people ranked at the bottom of the hierarchy.
2. The answer to #48 also tried to show the entities with a higher ranking had to repeat the _________ of those with lower ranking.
3. Broca's numbers were based on his ______________, according to Gould.
4. Louis from #55 believed that there were different centers of _________.
5. What does Socrates believe all people should be?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)