|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gould want to find in science that will support the idea that biological determinism is a result of social prejudice?
(a) Cultural influences
(b) Faulty logic
(c) Bad data systems
(d) Errors in correlation
2. Which view was based on the idea that inferior races can not be linked to the whites because they started from a separate group of DNA and people?
(d) Racial ranking
3. Ranking is used to determine that various disadvantaged groups are ______________.
4. Socrates' friend does not believe his ideas, saying that it is a lie and that ________ generations won't believe it, but ________ generations might.
(a) poor, rich
(b) present, future
(c) future, present
(d) common, enlightened
5. Each person is assigned a single ________ that determines his ranking on the scale.
6. What kind of disease can cause the brain to diminish in size before death?
7. Gould says the claims of inferiority are limited to ____________ even thought race, sex, and social class are tied together.
(a) one scientist
(b) one study
(c) one setting
(d) one group
8. David Hume was a believer in the superiority of the _______ and polygeny.
(a) black race
(b) white child
(c) white female
(d) white race
9. Gould goes on to say that science has not been constrained by _________.
10. Who believes blacks are inferior but that intelligence should not be tied to the right for freedom?
(a) Racial ranking staff
(b) Red liners
(c) Soft liners
(d) Hard liners
11. Blumenbach believed differences in races might be linked to __________.
(d) water supply
12. Flaws in the experimental design, according to Gould, do not lead to _________ in the numbers.
(b) proper graphs
(c) the right sums
13. Gould wants to know if science added the ___________ data, or......
14. What did Gould see Broca had formed before he ever started his research?
15. Gould wants to reexamine the existing __________ for craniometry and intelligence testing.
(c) data sets
(d) scientific researchers
Short Answer Questions
1. Socrates says that class is ____________.
2. In America, the theory of polygeny was supported by Louis __________.
3. Who considered that other factors like general health and body size might also affect brain size?
4. When did craniometry first appear in the study of intelligence?
5. What other kind of testing, besides head measurement, can begin to measure the intelligence of a person?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)