|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of disease can cause the brain to diminish in size before death?
2. If inferiority is cultural, then it can be changed by __________ factors
3. The answer to #55 was known as a _________ because he looked for small differences between species.
(a) microcosm expert
(d) species expert
4. Hume believed there was never a __________ nation that wasn't made of white men.
(a) conflict ridden
5. "For the past two centuries, scientific claims have become the primary agent for validating Plato's ________."
6. What did Galton measure in order to ascertain the intelligence of people?
(a) The space between their eyes
(b) Their leg length
(c) Their skull
(d) Their wrist
7. Craniometry is used for the _______ status of the people ranked at the bottom of the hierarchy.
8. Gould says the manner in which ___________ are formulated is also problematic to studies.
(b) study conditions
(c) scientific questions
(d) data sets
9. Gould wants to reexamine the existing __________ for craniometry and intelligence testing.
(b) data sets
(c) scientific researchers
10. Gould does not view the studies he will cover as _______ scientific practices.
(d) out of date
11. Broca's numbers were based on his ______________, according to Gould.
12. Which Socrates work is Gould discussing at the opening of this book?
13. According to Gould, Broca's studies were __________ by his choice of what to observe to provide that white brains were larger than black brains.
14. Each person is assigned a single ________ that determines his ranking on the scale.
15. Who was the data analyst for the answer to #55?
(c) No one
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the most famous work of the man in #59?
2. "We now encounter the second ____________ - ranking..."
3. Franklin P. Mall __________ and __________ Bean's work.
4. David Hume was a believer in the superiority of the _______ and polygeny.
5. The craniometry argument is the first __________ argument that has been offered.
This section contains 355 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)