|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Gould want to find in science that will support the idea that biological determinism is a result of social prejudice?
(a) Errors in correlation
(b) Bad data systems
(c) Faulty logic
(d) Cultural influences
2. Who believes blacks are inferior but that intelligence should not be tied to the right for freedom?
(a) Red liners
(b) Soft liners
(c) Hard liners
(d) Racial ranking staff
3. Which view was based on the story of Adam and Eve?
(b) Racial ranking
4. Gould does not believe that ____________ change reflects changes in social concepts.
5. Leaders of the eighteenth and nineteenth century did not dispute __________.
(a) medical findings
(b) scientists in general
(c) racial ranking
(d) scientific errors
6. In America, the theory of polygeny was supported by Louis __________.
7. People with ______ had smaller brain sizes than those who were suddenly killed in accidents.
(d) low iron
8. Which was the second-ranked race for the practitioners of racial ranking?
9. Gould calls biological determinism a theory of _____________ that has had a profound effect on many people.
10. Ranking is used to determine that various disadvantaged groups are ______________.
11. Flaws in the experimental design, according to Gould, do not lead to _________ in the numbers.
(b) proper graphs
(c) the right sums
12. Broca also thought that ________ should be denied the benefits of education due to smaller brains.
(d) elderly people
13. Paul Broca was a professor of surgery in what city?
(d) New York
14. Gould also wants to look for problems in the ___________ data.
15. Each person is assigned a single ________ that determines his ranking on the scale.
Short Answer Questions
1. Black anatomical structure was often compared to that of a __________.
2. David Hume was a believer in the superiority of the _______ and polygeny.
3. Who was a 19th century anatomist who believed in the theory of polygenism?
4. What does Socrates feel will happen when all people are intelligent?
5. What did Galton measure in order to ascertain the intelligence of people?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)