|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Socrates work is Gould discussing at the opening of this book?
2. It was thought that black brains could not ____________ or absorb information.
3. What did Galton measure in order to ascertain the intelligence of people?
(a) Their leg length
(b) The space between their eyes
(c) Their wrist
(d) Their skull
4. "We now encounter the second ____________ - ranking..."
5. Experts claimed it was no good to __________ blacks.
(c) listen to
6. Franklin P. Mall __________ and __________ Bean's work.
(a) repeated, refuted
(b) repeated, agreed with
(c) understood, appreciated
(d) idolized, copied
7. On what did Bean gather information?
(a) Shoe size
(b) Social status
(c) Family intelligence
(d) Corpus callosum
8. What kind of disease can cause the brain to diminish in size before death?
9. Bean compared the _______ of blacks and whites to prove his view of the inferiority of blacks.
(d) arm lengths
10. Bean felt that the ______, or front part of the brain, was smaller in women than in men.
(b) corpus callosum
(c) frontal lobe
11. Who considered that other factors like general health and body size might also affect brain size?
12. Which was the top-ranked race in practitioners of racial ranking?
13. Who feels that blacks are inferior and therefore deserve the status of a slave?
(a) Soft liners
(b) Hard liners
(c) Red liners
(d) Racial ranking experts
14. The answer to #55 was known as a _________ because he looked for small differences between species.
(a) microcosm expert
(b) species expert
15. Gould goes on to say that science has not been constrained by _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gould does not believe that ____________ change reflects changes in social concepts.
2. Gould also wants to look for problems in the ___________ data.
3. What does Gould want to find in science that will support the idea that biological determinism is a result of social prejudice?
4. Where did Francis Galton have a display in 1884?
5. What was the most famous work of the man in #59?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)