|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Francis Galton have a display in 1884?
(a) World Fair
(b) International Exposition
(c) Nobel Prize banquet
(d) His home
2. Who was the data analyst for the answer to #55?
(a) No one
3. Gould calls biological determinism a theory of _____________ that has had a profound effect on many people.
4. The answer to #48 said that humans were distinguished from _________ by the human's ability to improve himself.
5. The argument of _______________ is the basis for believing that measuring the intelligence of an individual allows a measure of worth or value to be attached.
(a) biological transfiguration
(b) biological destiny
(c) biological evolution
(d) biological determinism
6. What is the study of measuring the human head in order to assess intelligence called?
(c) Cranial-sacral therapy
7. Flaws in the experimental design, according to Gould, do not lead to _________ in the numbers.
(a) proper graphs
(b) the right sums
8. What did Galton measure in order to ascertain the intelligence of people?
(a) Their skull
(b) Their leg length
(c) Their wrist
(d) The space between their eyes
9. Broca's numbers were based on his ______________, according to Gould.
10. Who considered that other factors like general health and body size might also affect brain size?
11. Who is the author of "An American Dilemma?"
(a) Gunnar Myrdal
(b) Stephen Gould
(c) Benjamin Franklin
12. The author of "An American Dilemma" says that Americans and others would only consider the __________ factors when they were forced to.
13. Franklin P. Mall __________ and __________ Bean's work.
(a) repeated, refuted
(b) understood, appreciated
(c) repeated, agreed with
(d) idolized, copied
14. Each person is assigned a single ________ that determines his ranking on the scale.
15. Motor functions are performed at the _________ of the brain.
(a) left side
(c) right side
Short Answer Questions
1. Broca also thought that ________ should be denied the benefits of education due to smaller brains.
2. On what did Bean gather information?
3. Which Socrates work is Gould discussing at the opening of this book?
4. Where was Robert Bennett Bean a physician?
5. Gould says the manner in which ___________ are formulated is also problematic to studies.
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)