|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which Socrates work is Gould discussing at the opening of this book?
2. Broca also thought that ________ should be denied the benefits of education due to smaller brains.
(b) elderly people
3. Gould does not view the studies he will cover as _______ scientific practices.
(a) out of date
4. Within what century did science become fascinated with numbers?
5. According to Gould, Broca's studies were __________ by his choice of what to observe to provide that white brains were larger than black brains.
6. "Plato relied upon dialectic, the Church upon __________."
7. What means there is some sort of ordering that is used in assigning individuals to their relevant spot?
(a) Scientific study
(d) Theoretic discourse
8. Black anatomical structure was often compared to that of a __________.
9. Gould calls biological determinism a theory of _____________ that has had a profound effect on many people.
10. David Hume was a believer in the superiority of the _______ and polygeny.
(a) white female
(b) white race
(c) white child
(d) black race
11. Socrates says that class is ____________.
12. Blumenbach believed differences in races might be linked to __________.
(d) water supply
13. What was Francis Galton's book published in 1869?
(a) Hereditary and Race
(b) Hereditary Genus
(c) Hereditary Genius
(d) Hereditary Explorations
14. Who was the skull collector that had more than one thousand different skulls?
(b) Samuel Morton
(c) Stephen Gould
(d) Benjamin Franklin
15. The individual's social and economic status is determined by biology so any attempt to make changes has to be _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. In America, the theory of polygeny was supported by Louis __________.
2. Which view was based on the story of Adam and Eve?
3. Gould says the claims of inferiority are limited to ____________ even thought race, sex, and social class are tied together.
4. The argument of _______________ is the basis for believing that measuring the intelligence of an individual allows a measure of worth or value to be attached.
5. Louis from #55 believed that there were different centers of _________.
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)