|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was Francis Galton's cousin?
(a) Charles Darwin
(b) Benjamin Franklin
(c) Paul Broca
(d) Stephen Gould
2. Experts claimed it was no good to __________ blacks.
(b) listen to
3. What is the study of measuring the human head in order to assess intelligence called?
(b) Cranial-sacral therapy
4. Did a desire for ______ lead to the questions and data to support a predetermined conclusion?
5. "Plato relied upon dialectic, the Church upon __________."
6. Who was the skull collector that had more than one thousand different skulls?
(b) Stephen Gould
(c) Samuel Morton
(d) Benjamin Franklin
7. The argument of _______________ is the basis for believing that measuring the intelligence of an individual allows a measure of worth or value to be attached.
(a) biological transfiguration
(b) biological evolution
(c) biological destiny
(d) biological determinism
8. Gould wants to know if science added the ___________ data, or......
9. Bean compared the _______ of blacks and whites to prove his view of the inferiority of blacks.
(d) arm lengths
10. Which view was based on the idea that inferior races can not be linked to the whites because they started from a separate group of DNA and people?
(d) Racial ranking
11. Each person is assigned a single ________ that determines his ranking on the scale.
12. The individual's social and economic status is determined by biology so any attempt to make changes has to be _________.
13. Within what century did science become fascinated with numbers?
14. When did craniometry first appear in the study of intelligence?
(a) Late 19th century
(b) Last 18th century
(c) Early 19th century
(d) Early 18th century
15. What is the one category to which Socrates does NOT say people belong?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Francis Galton have a display in 1884?
2. Which was the second-ranked race for the practitioners of racial ranking?
3. Which was the top-ranked race in practitioners of racial ranking?
4. In America, the theory of polygeny was supported by Louis __________.
5. Gould also wants to look for problems in the ___________ data.
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)