|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which view was based on the story of Adam and Eve?
(c) Racial ranking
2. Motor functions are performed at the _________ of the brain.
(a) right side
(c) left side
3. Science means looking for the ________ based on facts.
4. Gould calls biological determinism a theory of _____________ that has had a profound effect on many people.
5. Black anatomical structure was often compared to that of a __________.
6. What does Gould want to find in science that will support the idea that biological determinism is a result of social prejudice?
(a) Faulty logic
(b) Bad data systems
(c) Cultural influences
(d) Errors in correlation
7. Craniometry is used for the _______ status of the people ranked at the bottom of the hierarchy.
8. When did craniometry first appear in the study of intelligence?
(a) Late 19th century
(b) Early 19th century
(c) Last 18th century
(d) Early 18th century
9. "For the past two centuries, scientific claims have become the primary agent for validating Plato's ________."
10. Which was the second-ranked race for the practitioners of racial ranking?
11. What kind of disease can cause the brain to diminish in size before death?
12. The answer to #48 also tried to show the entities with a higher ranking had to repeat the _________ of those with lower ranking.
(d) growth stages
13. What was the most famous work of the man in #59?
(a) Crania Inca
(b) Crania Americana
(d) Crania Astounda
14. Gould goes on to say that science has not been constrained by _________.
15. The answer to #48 also said that adult blacks were like _______________.
(a) white adolescents
(b) black children
(c) white children
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the data analyst for the answer to #55?
2. What is the study of measuring the human head in order to assess intelligence called?
3. Gould wants to know if science added the ___________ data, or......
4. The argument of _______________ is the basis for believing that measuring the intelligence of an individual allows a measure of worth or value to be attached.
5. What is the one category to which Socrates does NOT say people belong?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)