|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Within what century did science become fascinated with numbers?
2. What was Francis Galton's book published in 1869?
(a) Hereditary Explorations
(b) Hereditary and Race
(c) Hereditary Genus
(d) Hereditary Genius
3. Which Socrates work is Gould discussing at the opening of this book?
4. Socrates says that class is ____________.
5. Who was the data analyst for the answer to #55?
(d) No one
6. According to Gould, science must be viewed in its ________ context since culture and environment also influence facts and theories.
7. Who is the author of "An American Dilemma?"
(a) Gunnar Myrdal
(c) Stephen Gould
(d) Benjamin Franklin
8. Broca also thought that ________ should be denied the benefits of education due to smaller brains.
(b) elderly people
9. "For the past two centuries, scientific claims have become the primary agent for validating Plato's ________."
10. Who was a 19th century anatomist who believed in the theory of polygenism?
11. What is the study of measuring the human head in order to assess intelligence called?
(a) Cranial-sacral therapy
12. What was the most famous work of the man in #59?
(a) Crania Inca
(b) Crania Astounda
(c) Crania Americana
13. Gould does not believe that ____________ change reflects changes in social concepts.
14. The individual's social and economic status is determined by biology so any attempt to make changes has to be _________.
15. The answer to #48 also tried to show the entities with a higher ranking had to repeat the _________ of those with lower ranking.
(a) growth stages
Short Answer Questions
1. Gould wants to know if science added the ___________ data, or......
2. On what did Bean gather information?
3. Ranking is used to determine that various disadvantaged groups are ______________.
4. The craniometry argument is the first __________ argument that has been offered.
5. Who was Francis Galton's cousin?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)