|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Paul Broca was a professor of surgery in what city?
(d) New York
2. Who were like white adolescents?
(a) White children
(b) Adult Mongolians
(c) Adult blacks
(d) Black children
3. Black anatomical structure was often compared to that of a __________.
4. Bean compared the _______ of blacks and whites to prove his view of the inferiority of blacks.
(d) arm lengths
5. What does Gould want to find in science that will support the idea that biological determinism is a result of social prejudice?
(a) Errors in correlation
(b) Faulty logic
(c) Cultural influences
(d) Bad data systems
6. Socrates' friend does not believe his ideas, saying that it is a lie and that ________ generations won't believe it, but ________ generations might.
(a) present, future
(b) common, enlightened
(c) poor, rich
(d) future, present
7. The answer to #48 said that humans were distinguished from _________ by the human's ability to improve himself.
8. What does Socrates feel will happen when all people are intelligent?
(a) Society will remain stable.
(b) Society will become enlightened.
(c) Society will become revolutionary.
(d) Society will stop changing.
9. The answer to #48 also tried to show the entities with a higher ranking had to repeat the _________ of those with lower ranking.
(b) growth stages
10. Gould also wants to look for problems in the ___________ data.
11. Gould does not view the studies he will cover as _______ scientific practices.
(c) out of date
12. Broca also thought that ________ should be denied the benefits of education due to smaller brains.
(b) elderly people
13. The individual's social and economic status is determined by biology so any attempt to make changes has to be _________.
14. Leaders of the eighteenth and nineteenth century did not dispute __________.
(a) medical findings
(b) scientists in general
(c) scientific errors
(d) racial ranking
15. The craniometry argument is the first __________ argument that has been offered.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what did Bean gather information?
2. According to Gould, Broca's studies were __________ by his choice of what to observe to provide that white brains were larger than black brains.
3. Hume believed there was never a __________ nation that wasn't made of white men.
4. Which was the top-ranked race in practitioners of racial ranking?
5. Did a desire for ______ lead to the questions and data to support a predetermined conclusion?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)