|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Paul Broca was a professor of surgery in what city?
(c) New York
2. Which race was ranked last in the eyes of the practitioners of racial ranking?
3. What does Socrates feel will happen when all people are intelligent?
(a) Society will stop changing.
(b) Society will become revolutionary.
(c) Society will remain stable.
(d) Society will become enlightened.
4. Flaws in the experimental design, according to Gould, do not lead to _________ in the numbers.
(b) the right sums
(c) proper graphs
5. On what did Bean gather information?
(a) Family intelligence
(b) Social status
(c) Shoe size
(d) Corpus callosum
6. Gould calls biological determinism a theory of _____________ that has had a profound effect on many people.
7. The argument of _______________ is the basis for believing that measuring the intelligence of an individual allows a measure of worth or value to be attached.
(a) biological determinism
(b) biological transfiguration
(c) biological destiny
(d) biological evolution
8. What did Galton measure in order to ascertain the intelligence of people?
(a) Their leg length
(b) Their skull
(c) Their wrist
(d) The space between their eyes
9. What was Francis Galton's book published in 1869?
(a) Hereditary and Race
(b) Hereditary Genius
(c) Hereditary Genus
(d) Hereditary Explorations
10. Gould says the manner in which ___________ are formulated is also problematic to studies.
(b) study conditions
(c) scientific questions
(d) data sets
11. Where was Robert Bennett Bean a physician?
12. Who feels that blacks are inferior and therefore deserve the status of a slave?
(a) Hard liners
(b) Red liners
(c) Soft liners
(d) Racial ranking experts
13. Who was the skull collector that had more than one thousand different skulls?
(a) Benjamin Franklin
(c) Samuel Morton
(d) Stephen Gould
14. "Plato relied upon dialectic, the Church upon __________."
15. Which view was based on the idea that inferior races can not be linked to the whites because they started from a separate group of DNA and people?
(c) Racial ranking
Short Answer Questions
1. The answer to #48 also said that adult blacks were like _______________.
2. Gould goes on to say that science has not been constrained by _________.
3. Franklin P. Mall __________ and __________ Bean's work.
4. It was thought that black brains could not ____________ or absorb information.
5. Gould does not believe that ____________ change reflects changes in social concepts.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)