|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. People with ______ had smaller brain sizes than those who were suddenly killed in accidents.
(c) low iron
2. Who was the data analyst for the answer to #55?
(d) No one
3. Gould calls biological determinism a theory of _____________ that has had a profound effect on many people.
4. What other kind of testing, besides head measurement, can begin to measure the intelligence of a person?
5. The answer to #48 said that humans were distinguished from _________ by the human's ability to improve himself.
6. It is logical to assume that mentality and ____________ are located in the brain.
7. Which Socrates work is Gould discussing at the opening of this book?
8. What does Socrates feel will happen when all people are intelligent?
(a) Society will become revolutionary.
(b) Society will become enlightened.
(c) Society will remain stable.
(d) Society will stop changing.
9. Where was Robert Bennett Bean a physician?
10. What was the most famous work of the man in #59?
(a) Crania Americana
(b) Crania Astounda
(c) Crania Inca
11. According to Gould, Broca's studies were __________ by his choice of what to observe to provide that white brains were larger than black brains.
12. In America, the theory of polygeny was supported by Louis __________.
13. Gould also wants to look for problems in the ___________ data.
14. Who believes blacks are inferior but that intelligence should not be tied to the right for freedom?
(a) Red liners
(b) Racial ranking staff
(c) Hard liners
(d) Soft liners
15. According to Gould, science must be viewed in its ________ context since culture and environment also influence facts and theories.
Short Answer Questions
1. The main question becomes, can ________ change the status of the inferior group?
2. Black anatomical structure was often compared to that of a __________.
3. The answer to #48 also tried to show the entities with a higher ranking had to repeat the _________ of those with lower ranking.
4. "We now encounter the second ____________ - ranking..."
5. The author of "An American Dilemma" says that Americans and others would only consider the __________ factors when they were forced to.
This section contains 379 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)