|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what did Bean gather information?
(a) Social status
(b) Family intelligence
(c) Corpus callosum
(d) Shoe size
2. Where did Francis Galton have a display in 1884?
(a) His home
(b) Nobel Prize banquet
(c) World Fair
(d) International Exposition
3. What other kind of testing, besides head measurement, can begin to measure the intelligence of a person?
4. Franklin P. Mall __________ and __________ Bean's work.
(a) idolized, copied
(b) repeated, refuted
(c) understood, appreciated
(d) repeated, agreed with
5. What is the study of measuring the human head in order to assess intelligence called?
(c) Cranial-sacral therapy
6. What kind of disease can cause the brain to diminish in size before death?
7. The answer to #48 also said that adult blacks were like _______________.
(a) black children
(c) white children
(d) white adolescents
8. Black anatomical structure was often compared to that of a __________.
9. Who was a 19th century anatomist who believed in the theory of polygenism?
10. Science means looking for the ________ based on facts.
11. Who was the skull collector that had more than one thousand different skulls?
(a) Stephen Gould
(b) Samuel Morton
(d) Benjamin Franklin
12. "For the past two centuries, scientific claims have become the primary agent for validating Plato's ________."
13. Who feels that blacks are inferior and therefore deserve the status of a slave?
(a) Hard liners
(b) Soft liners
(c) Red liners
(d) Racial ranking experts
14. What did Gould see Broca had formed before he ever started his research?
15. Gould goes on to say that science has not been constrained by _________.
Short Answer Questions
1. Did a desire for ______ lead to the questions and data to support a predetermined conclusion?
2. Blumenbach believed differences in races might be linked to __________.
3. Gould wants to reexamine the existing __________ for craniometry and intelligence testing.
4. Gould does not view the studies he will cover as _______ scientific practices.
5. What did Galton measure in order to ascertain the intelligence of people?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)