• The book begins by talking about Socrates' Republic and the idea that all people should be educated.
• Socrates also said that people will be put into classes before they are born.
• The idea of biological determinism is introduced.
• The measurement of intelligence thus helps to determine a person's worth to society.
• This book will look at deterministic argument and the scientific weaknesses.
• Gould wishes to reanalyze the data that exist in previous intelligence studies to see if there were cultural influences which affects the results.
American Polygeny and Craniometry before Darwin
• Within this chapter is discussed the idea that one could rank an individual by the size of his/her brain.
• This has led to racial ranking with Indians and blacks being ranked lower than whites.
• Even Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson believed the black man was inferior.
• Two views developed - monogenism and polygenism - respectively...
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)