|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howie compares vending machines to _______.
2. Howie desires to gain a encyclopedic knowledge of the relationship between _______.
3. Howie considers ___________ might buy classic paperbacks like him.
4. How many hand towels does Howie use to wash his face in the men's room?
5. What don't the executives do in the corporate bathroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Howie notice about tunes whistled in the men's room?
2. Why does Howie eventually stop trying to walk up or down the escalator?
3. In what way does Howie consider life to be like footnotes?
4. How does Howie demonstrate that he enjoys thinking about finances?
5. What activity does Howie describe that both he and L take part in when alone in an elevator?
6. What does Howie consider to be the quintessential question about lunch hours?
7. What are Howie's reflections on the overall safety of escalators?
8. Why does Howie consider CVS to be the diary of stores?
9. What does Howie consider to be the dishonesty of the World Dryer Corporation?
10. Who does Howie see in the bathroom engaging in what he considers to be poor bathroom etiquette?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is Howie a purveyor of truths that are too often ignored? Or is he a self-centered young man who spends too much time wrapped up in his own thoughts? Does Howie have redeeming characteristics.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Howie and Marcus Aurelius. What is the significance of Howie's fascination with Aurelius?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the very brief last chapter of the novel?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)