|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many sinks are there in the men's bathroom?
2. Who gets the get-well poster for Ray at work?
3. What does Howie use as a bookmark for the book he reads at lunch?
4. The sun hitting the escalator reminds Howie of what in his apartment?
5. What did Howie hope the new shoelaces were made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Howie note that he is surprised about in the men's bathroom?
2. What does Howie notice as he rushes out the revolving door and onto the plaza for his lunch break?
3. What does Howie note about eating and drinking at the same time?
4. What is Howie's dilemma in the men's bathroom?
5. What is one of Howie's favorite games to play on the escalator?
6. What are some of the odd personal habits of various philosophers that Howie describes?
7. In what way does Howie consider life to be like footnotes?
8. What observations does Howie make about vending machines?
9. What are the four thoughts that Howie has in quick succession at the end of Chapter 12?
10. What does Howie notice about tunes whistled in the men's room?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the trivialities, interconnections with other people and thoughts outside of its main subject, tangents, abrupt thoughts that must not be lost and so on that the author illustrates in the footnotes? What greater truth is contained in these?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolic significance of both the shoelaces and how Howie resolves the mystery of the shoelace breakage?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the metaphorical significance of the escalator and how it is used as a vehicle of thought throughout the novel.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)