|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Howie when he would deliberately leave his shoes untied on escalators?
2. How many sinks are there in the men's bathroom?
3. Who told Howie he should never eat and drink at the same time?
4. Howie sees the remains of a mowed over __________ on the way home from the subway one evening.
5. The vending machine thoughts include a footnote about _______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Howie demonstrate that he enjoys thinking about finances?
2. Why does Howie need to purchase earplugs every week?
3. What is one of Howie's favorite games to play on the escalator?
4. Who does Howie see in the bathroom engaging in what he considers to be poor bathroom etiquette?
5. What observations does Howie make about vending machines?
6. What do Howie's observations about shampoos lead him to consider?
7. What is Howie's dilemma in the men's bathroom?
8. How can Howie reach a majority of adult thoughts?
9. What does Howie consider to be the dishonesty of the World Dryer Corporation?
10. What activity does Howie describe that both he and L take part in when alone in an elevator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Howie and Marcus Aurelius. What is the significance of Howie's fascination with Aurelius?
Essay Topic 2
What profound insight does Howie achieve through his stream of consciousness while riding the subway? Could he have had this same insight without the constant stream of trivial thoughts? Is his realization truly profound, transcending the triviality of his mundane thoughts?
Essay Topic 3
What is the meaning behind the title of the novel?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)