|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Howie's first footnote is about _______.
2. The first footnote in Chapter 4 is about ____.
3. What word does Howie feel he says too often?
4. What does Howie purchase as a reward for making his garbage truck realization?
5. What does Howie buy to go with his coffee after his subway revelation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theory that Howie calls the "walking-flexion" model?
2. What are Howie's thoughts on shopping bags?
3. What is Howie's feeling about ice cube trays?
4. What are Howie's observations about shoes and feet at work?
5. How does "The Mezzanine" begin?
6. How does Howie describe the experience of opening a package of shirts from the dry cleaners?
7. How many of Howie's escalator memories come from his childhood?
8. What is awkward about Howie trying to sign the poster Tina has gotten for Ray the janitor?
9. What does Howie mean by "vibratiuncles of comparison"?
10. What is Howie's reaction to his shoelace breaking at work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the metaphorical significance of the escalator and how it is used as a vehicle of thought throughout the novel.
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the trivialities, interconnections with other people and thoughts outside of its main subject, tangents, abrupt thoughts that must not be lost and so on that the author illustrates in the footnotes? What greater truth is contained in these?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the purpose of the character L. Why does she never actually physically appears in the narrative? How does she help create the roundness of Howie's character?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)