|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many advances does Howie describe in Chapter 3?
2. How long has Howie owned his shoes for work?
3. Howie believes he has the ____ "of a mature person."
4. What time does Howie enter his office building at the beginning of the novel?
5. As a child, Howie loved_____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theory that Howie calls the "walking-flexion" model?
2. What is Howie's reaction to his shoelace breaking at work?
3. What point is Howie trying to make in his footnote about doorknobs?
4. What does breaking his shoelace remind Howie of?
5. What are Howie's observations about shoes and feet at work?
6. Howie does Howie's shoelace break?
7. What are Howie's thoughts on shopping bags?
8. What is Howie's feeling about ice cube trays?
9. How does "The Mezzanine" begin?
10. What observations does Howie make about straws while he was at Papa Gino's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Howie and Marcus Aurelius. What is the significance of Howie's fascination with Aurelius?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the time sequence of the novel and how it adds or detracts from the reader's ability to connect with the narrative.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of the innate philosopher in everyone and how it resonates throughout the book.
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)