|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Howie spend considerable time thinking about on the subway?
2. How many advances does Howie describe in Chapter 3?
3. What time does Howie enter his office building at the beginning of the novel?
4. What adult technique did Howie refine as a child?
5. What is inside Howie's CVS bag?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Howie notice about his shoes as he reties them in Chapter 4?
2. How does "The Mezzanine" begin?
3. What are Howie's observations about shoes and feet at work?
4. What is Howie's focus in Chapter 3?
5. How does Howie describe the experience of opening a package of shirts from the dry cleaners?
6. Where is Howie when he believes that his great period of growth as a human has ended?
7. What were the "systems of local transport" that Howie liked as a child?
8. Howie does Howie's shoelace break?
9. What is the treat that Howie gives himself after making a resolution to not get carried away by nostalgia?
10. What does Howie mean by "the rule of nostalgia"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the purpose of the character L. Why does she never actually physically appears in the narrative? How does she help create the roundness of Howie's character?
Essay Topic 2
What is the symbolic significance of both the shoelaces and how Howie resolves the mystery of the shoelace breakage?
Essay Topic 3
What is the climax of the book in Chapter 14? How does this tiny moment define the entire novel?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)