|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who suggests that Howie should buy shoelaces at CVS?
2. What piece of office equipment does Howie feel has lagged behind other innovations by ten years?
3. Howie signs the _____ flower on the poster for Ray.
4. What purchase does Howie always need a bag for?
5. What kind of background does Howie think makes anything look good?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theory that Howie calls the "walking-flexion" model?
2. Why does Howie consider the purchase of a rubber stamp to be one of his advancements?
3. What does Howie mean by "vibratiuncles of comparison"?
4. What point is Howie trying to make in his footnote about doorknobs?
5. What does Howie mean by "the rule of nostalgia"?
6. What is Howie's feeling about ice cube trays?
7. What were the "systems of local transport" that Howie liked as a child?
8. What are Howie's thoughts on shopping bags?
9. What is the treat that Howie gives himself after making a resolution to not get carried away by nostalgia?
10. What are Howie's observations about shoes and feet at work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss both the narrative tone and structure of this story and their impact on the reader's experience.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of the very brief last chapter of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is the climax of the book in Chapter 14? How does this tiny moment define the entire novel?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)