|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. William James spent a great deal of time and energy on being indecisive, but he was able to use it to create the idea of _________.
2. ___________ disliked immigration and created a society of married women who demanded their husbands pay for housecleaning.
3. Henry James Sr. rebelled against his father and took up religion in the form of ___________.
4. Oliver Wendell Holmes often preached the __________.
5. Holmes was eventually released from his commission and returned home. When he did he entered Harvard to study_________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Though John Dewey was often considered to be a liberal, what were some of his true views?
2. How was is said that Swedenborn created his religion, later becoming a religious leader?
3. How did Benjamin Pierce view mathematics and its place within the scientific community?
4. Why did Charles Pierce decide he wanted to found the Metaphysical Club in 1872?
5. Why did John Dewey eventually become interested in philosophy as the main direction of his work?
6. What did the Civil War allow Congress to create as it became more active than any other time in history?
7. Why did many people fear the idea of mathematical laws, such as the Law of Errors?
8. What was Webster's argument in terms of the legal battle between the two Darmouths which arose?
9. How did Dr. Samuel Cartwright help to integrate polygenism in the South?
10. Why did many of the Civil War soldiers felt their friends and family were dying during the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Education is a strong character in this manuscript as well, helping to bring together the members of the Metaphysical Club.
Part 1: Why do you think education was so important to society during those times?
Part 2: Do you think education is more or less important today? Why?
Part 3: Why do you think so many great thinkers ended up at Harvard?
Essay Topic 2
Charles Pierce decided that he wanted to found the Metaphysical Club in order to get the help he needed with a law he was trying to complete.
Part 1: Do you think it's better to get input from others on work you do or to do work on your own? Why?
Part 2: Do you think it's fair to ask others to contribute to your theory and the story of your theory? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the idea of the Metaphysical Club was a good one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
For many of the men in this book, the idea of including Christianity in their believe systems was important.
Part 1: Why do you think these great thinkers also tended to be men of great faith?
Part 2: Do you think it's necessary to link great thoughts with religion and with spirituality? Why or why not?
Part 3: Are the thinker's ideas strengthened or weakened by the inclusion of religion. Why?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)