|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles Pierce had an addiction to ______ that started due to a childhood prescription for facial neuralgia.
2. Agassiz wrote a letter to ________ stating that he had not found any real evidence of the Ice Age in South America.
3. Holmes was eventually released from his commission and returned home. When he did he entered Harvard to study_________.
4. Wright believed that ___________ is the difference between facts and values.
5. Henry Sr. viewed _________ as he did everything, with a distrust of institutions.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the experiences Holmes had in the Civil War lead him to believe about the cause of violence?
2. What business did the Civil War destroy, though it did not interfere with the textile industry in New England?
3. Define Charles Darwin's idea of natural selection in conjunction with the theory of evolution.
4. What are some examples of the ways that Ernest Holmes changed the tone of the Harvard Magazine as the editor?
5. What was Webster's argument in terms of the legal battle between the two Darmouths which arose?
6. What did James think about the relationship between science and society?
7. Why did Agassiz's second wife, Elizabeth Cabot Cary, open up a school in their home?
8. What happened during the Battle of the Wilderness, according to historical records?
9. Why did William Henry Sr. always feel that he was at a disadvantage in his life?
10. What did Agassiz want to prove about the fish that James caught while traveling in Brazil?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The main achievement of this time was the development of a modern life and a modern society.
Part 1: Why was it important for the society to develop into a more modern landscape during this time?
Part 2: Why do you think society didn't believe it was modern 'enough' during this time period?
Part 3: In what ways did society change from that period of time to the modern day today? Are we even more modern now? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The disagreement with the idea of creationism and evolution began early on in educational discourse.
Part 1: Why do you think people clung so tightly to the story of creation?
Part 2: In what ways might creationism and evolutionary theory work together?
Part 3: Do you side with evolutionary thinkers or creationism thinkers? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Morris was trying to decide how to reconcile science and faith in his own mind - a popular topic of discussion and study.
Part 1: Why do you think faith and science have a difficult time 'getting along' in terms of their ideas?
Part 2: Do you think that faith and science have common ground? Why or why not?
Part 3: Can science and father ever be reconciled? Why or why not?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)