|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. _________ states that the government is created by individuals for the purpose of protecting those individuals.
2. ________ took statistics from numbers to people and created social mechanics.
3. In the North, people were split between the Abolitionists and the _________.
4. William James and Charles Pierce became friends while they were both attending ___________.
5. Holmes was eventually released from his commission and returned home. When he did he entered Harvard to study_________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Define Charles Darwin's idea of natural selection in conjunction with the theory of evolution.
2. Why was Boston the financial center for all cotton products in the mid 19th century?
3. Why did Agassiz's second wife, Elizabeth Cabot Cary, open up a school in their home?
4. What are some examples of the ways that Ernest Holmes changed the tone of the Harvard Magazine as the editor?
5. How did Benjamin Pierce view mathematics and its place within the scientific community?
6. What did Agassiz want to prove about the fish that James caught while traveling in Brazil?
7. How was is said that Swedenborn created his religion, later becoming a religious leader?
8. Though John Dewey was often considered to be a liberal, what were some of his true views?
9. Why did many of the Civil War soldiers felt their friends and family were dying during the war?
10. Why did many people fear the idea of mathematical laws, such as the Law of Errors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The question of slavery is often one that is treated on moral grounds these days as opposed to the grounds on which it was judged before slavery was abolished.
Part 1: Why do you think some people believed that slavery was okay?
Part 2: Do you think slavery was a necessary evil for society to have during that time?
Part 3: Why do you think that slavery is still allowed in certain parts of the world today?
Essay Topic 2
While many people do not realize this, the North was not united in its views before the start of the Civil War with the South.
Part 1: Why didn't the Unionists and the Abolitionists get along during this time?
Part 2: Why do you think the North still decided to take up arms and fight the South during the war?
Part 3: Do you think the North or South should have seceded as a result of the war? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The disagreement with the idea of creationism and evolution began early on in educational discourse.
Part 1: Why do you think people clung so tightly to the story of creation?
Part 2: In what ways might creationism and evolutionary theory work together?
Part 3: Do you side with evolutionary thinkers or creationism thinkers? Why?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)