|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dewey and Holmes focused on the rights of _________ instead of the rights of the individual.
2. Charles Pierce taught a ________ class in the fall of 1883 and spring of 1884 during which he announced the formation of the Metaphysical Club.
3. Eventually G. Stanley Hall was able to talk his employer into sending him to _______ to study more.
4. The United States was currently in the middle of a ________ and many employers were cutting wages.
(a) Economic boom.
5. The new organization developed by Dewey, Lovejoy, and Cattell had thirty-one investigations of ____________.
(a) Sexual harrassment.
(c) Wrongful termination.
Short Answer Questions
1. When his salary was less than expected John Dewey decided to _________.
2. Despite his extensive training both at home and abroad Morris was unable to attain a professorship until offered one at __________.
3. Holmes greatest achievement was __________.
4. After Hall discredited several candidates for the professor of philosophy position, one was finally hired in __________.
5. ________ was fired from Johns Hopkins University due to his personal problems from the past.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Pierce fired from his job at Johns Hopkins University around January of 1884?
2. Why did Kallen give up his religion at first, though he ended up returning later on?
3. When Charles Pierce arrived at the school, what did he announce he was going to revive?
4. Why was Cattell fired from Columbia University with the start of WWI?
5. What did G. Stanley Hall do when he decided against getting a job immediately after following Morris to Germany?
6. What was happened that made it difficult for Dewey to get into Chicago to start his new job?
7. Why was the idea of pluralism not received well by those who heard about it?
8. Who created the Hull House in the poorest section of Chicago?
9. What did Pierce have to do because of the cancer that ravaged his body in his later years?
10. Why was the fourteenth amendment added to the Constitution after the Civil War?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)