|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In many societies in the early 20th Century the concept of ________ began to appear.
(a) Social Darwinism.
2. Dewey believed that prejudice was just a phase that a society needed to go through in order to get to the new societal ________.
3. Morris returned to the University of Michigan and _______ followed him.
(a) Charles Pierce.
(b) Francis Parker.
(c) John Dewey.
(d) William James.
4. James felt that pragmatism was the philosophy of __________.
(b) Being practical.
(d) Decision making.
5. The authority of _________ characterizes pre-modern societies, but not modern societies.
Short Answer Questions
1. An individual could not have a right or a freedom unless ___________ as a whole had it first.
2. _________, after initially giving up his identity as a Jew, regained his religion and came up with the dual identity theory.
3. _________ took classes from Hall because he like the way Hall used physiological psychology with physics and metaphysics.
4. ___________ did not believe he was a pragmatist, even though he held many of the same beliefs.
5. The organizer of the American Railroad Union was arrested ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Dewey and Holmes think about the idea of giving freedom to others?
2. What was the theory put forth by Holmes' lecture series, "The Common Law?"
3. Why was Pierce fired from his job at Johns Hopkins University around January of 1884?
4. What did Dewey believe about mind and reality in his time after leaving Chicago?
5. What would happen if Harper did not like something a teacher said during a lecture?
6. What was happened that made it difficult for Dewey to get into Chicago to start his new job?
7. What did Pierce have to do because of the cancer that ravaged his body in his later years?
8. What did Morris allow Dewey to do as he was his star pupil and eventually good friend?
9. Why was the fourteenth amendment added to the Constitution after the Civil War?
10. When Charles Pierce arrived at the school, what did he announce he was going to revive?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)