|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. William James created ___________ and brought it to the public for Charles Pierce.
2. Dewey and Holmes focused on the rights of _________ instead of the rights of the individual.
3. Holmes argued that judges used __________ and then find precedents to explain their decisions.
(a) Their experience.
(d) Others opinions.
4. Modern societies are led by ________ and the procedures and theories that led to modernity.
5. Charles Pierce taught a ________ class in the fall of 1883 and spring of 1884 during which he announced the formation of the Metaphysical Club.
Short Answer Questions
1. All of the following historical events played a role for William James becoming more active politically except ________.
2. Cattell was fired from his job for _____________ another professor on his own personal time.
3. Pierce also believed that humans get their ideas of right and wrong from __________.
4. In 1900, James was scheduled to lecture at the ____________ but became ill and wasn't able to do it until 1902.
5. William James believed that people have beliefs because the object of belief has been shown to have _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was never the intention of the American Association of University Professors though it ended up being the case anyway?
2. What was the greatest achievement of Holmes which occurred before he was 40 years old?
3. What was happened that made it difficult for Dewey to get into Chicago to start his new job?
4. Why did the new theory of cultural pluralism seem to foster prejudice and discrimination?
5. Why was the book, "The Process of Government," fairly obscure in the market?
6. What did Morris allow Dewey to do as he was his star pupil and eventually good friend?
7. Why did Kallen give up his religion at first, though he ended up returning later on?
8. What did Pierce think of his brother's book, "The Will to Believe" when he read it?
9. What did Dewey believe about mind and reality in his time after leaving Chicago?
10. When Charles Pierce arrived at the school, what did he announce he was going to revive?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)