|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A land grant was received for the school that stipulated that it be run by __________.
(a) Native Americans.
(b) A board of trustees.
(c) White males.
(d) Eleazer Wheelock.
2. In January of 1861, Richard Hallowell hired Holmes as a body guard for __________.
(b) Wendell Phillips.
(c) Dred Scott.
(d) John Brown.
3. Henry James Sr. was born again during the _________.
(b) Great Second Awakening.
(c) Transcendentalist Movement.
(d) Civil War.
4. What planet's discovery did Benjamin Pierce call 'a happy accident'
5. When the expedition to Brazil returned, _________ gave lectures about evidence of the Ice Age in Brazil.
(a) William James.
(b) Louis Agassiz.
(c) Elisabeth Agassiz.
(d) Charles Darwin.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ created the method of least squares in order to find the true location of the object.
2. Charles Pierce had an addiction to ______ that started due to a childhood prescription for facial neuralgia.
3. John Dewey attended the University of Vermont and was a supporter of __________.
4. Due to the ___________ whims of Henry Jr. and William led the family to move several times to various places in the world.
5. In April of 1864, an article was published in the __________ that made him rethink his exhaustion with the war.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Agassiz's second wife, Elizabeth Cabot Cary, open up a school in their home?
2. How was is said that Swedenborn created his religion, later becoming a religious leader?
3. Though John Dewey was often considered to be a liberal, what were some of his true views?
4. How did Benjamin Pierce view mathematics and its place within the scientific community?
5. What happened during the Battle of the Wilderness, according to historical records?
6. What are some examples of the ways that Ernest Holmes changed the tone of the Harvard Magazine as the editor?
7. What business did the Civil War destroy, though it did not interfere with the textile industry in New England?
8. Why did John Dewey eventually become interested in philosophy as the main direction of his work?
9. What were the two occupations between which William James kept having troubles making up his mind?
10. How did Dr. Samuel Cartwright help to integrate polygenism in the South?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)