|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Due to Henry James Sr.'s religious beliefs, his wife Mary Walsh had to resign her membership at the _________ church before their marriage.
(c) Scottish Baptist.
2. 12 years out of school, Holmes wrote an article based on ________, the idea that if one does his job correctly and with honor, one should be fulfilled.
3. The dominant political party during the time of the Civil War was ________.
(a) Whig Party.
(b) Independent Party
(c) Republican Party.
(d) Democratic Party.
4. William James and Charles Pierce became friends while they were both attending ___________.
(a) Cambridge University.
(b) Oxford University.
(c) Lawrence Scientific School.
(d) Harvard University.
5. Charles Pierce wrote about the Metaphysical Club _______ years after it took place.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many Southerners and Northerners found a problem with _________ because it seemed to contradict Genesis.
2. Quetlet published several pieces that pointed to societal factors instead of biological factors. Which country in Europe were unsure of his work?
3. Holmes was wounded ______ times during the Civil War.
4. Holmes' experiences during the war led him to believe that imposing one's beliefs would always lead to __________.
5. _________ founded the Metaphysical Club in 1872 in Cambridge.
Short Essay Questions
1. Though John Dewey was often considered to be a liberal, what were some of his true views?
2. How was is said that Swedenborn created his religion, later becoming a religious leader?
3. What was Webster's argument in terms of the legal battle between the two Darmouths which arose?
4. What were the two occupations between which William James kept having troubles making up his mind?
5. What did Agassiz want to prove about the fish that James caught while traveling in Brazil?
6. What were the two events in Henry Sr.'s life which seem to have changed him and his actions?
7. What did Quetlet use the method of least squares for when he was doing his own research?
8. Why did John Dewey eventually become interested in philosophy as the main direction of his work?
9. What are some examples of the ways that Ernest Holmes changed the tone of the Harvard Magazine as the editor?
10. What did James think about the relationship between science and society?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)