|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Even though he had no formal education in either, ___________ taught psychology and philosophy at Harvard.
(a) Henry James Jr.
(b) Bob James.
(c) William James
(d) Henry James Sr.
2. Holmes was eventually released from his commission and returned home. When he did he entered Harvard to study_________.
3. Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. and Ralph Waldo Emerson worked together in order to found the ___________.
(a) Harvard Magazine.
(b) Atlantic Monthly.
(c) Boston Gazette.
(d) New Yorker.
4. __________consisted mainly of abolitionists which was shown when it enrolled 34,000 out of 37,000 available men for the war.
(a) New York.
(c) New Hampshire.
5. The war had been compared to _________ and the Union soldiers rallied themselves around it.
(a) The Crusades.
(b) The War of Independence.
(c) The Trojan War.
(d) The storming of the Bastille.
Short Answer Questions
1. Holmes was wounded ______ times during the Civil War.
2. William James concluded from his trip to Brazil that the effects of race and circumstances depend on a person's __________.
3. A land grant was received for the school that stipulated that it be run by __________.
4. The military leaders during the time of the civil war were often chosen due to __________.
5. _________ had more spindles of cotton than all of the eleven states of the South put together.
Short Essay Questions
1. What business did the Civil War destroy, though it did not interfere with the textile industry in New England?
2. What were the two occupations between which William James kept having troubles making up his mind?
3. How was is said that Swedenborn created his religion, later becoming a religious leader?
4. What did the experiences Holmes had in the Civil War lead him to believe about the cause of violence?
5. What were the two events in Henry Sr.'s life which seem to have changed him and his actions?
6. Why did many of the Civil War soldiers felt their friends and family were dying during the war?
7. Why did Agassiz's second wife, Elizabeth Cabot Cary, open up a school in their home?
8. What are some examples of the ways that Ernest Holmes changed the tone of the Harvard Magazine as the editor?
9. What was in the essay that James read by a French philosopher which helped him to gain insight into two things?
10. How did the Abolitionists view the Unionists during the period of the Civil War?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)