|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jane Addams wrote an article comparing the opposing sides in the Pullman strike to __________.
(a) Polonius and Hamlet.
(b) Hamlet and his father.
(c) King Lear and Ophelia,
(d) Romeo and Juliet.
2. _________ lowered employee wages but refused to help them in any way including lowering rent in the buildings he owned.
3. An individual could not have a right or a freedom unless ___________ as a whole had it first.
(a) The Constitution.
(b) The Bible.
(d) The President.
4. Pierce used __________ daily because of the pain caused by cancer that ravaged his body.
5. The university presidents still gave __________ and fired faculty for not expressing the views of the college.
(c) Corporal punishment.
6. Holmes greatest achievement was __________.
(a) The lecture series 'The Common Law.'
(b) His teaching appointments.
(c) His Civil War accomplishments.
(d) A series of books on monogenism.
7. Jane Addams and Ellen Gates Staff created _______ in the poorest section of Chicago.
(a) Hull house.
(b) Pullman house.
(c) Taylor house.
(d) Pushman house.
8. Morris returned to the University of Michigan and _______ followed him.
(a) Francis Parker.
(b) William James.
(c) John Dewey.
(d) Charles Pierce.
9. Targets of the Ku Klux Klan at the beginning of World War I included all of the following except __________.
(a) American born Protestant white men.
10. Students in Dewey's classes were taught by _______.
11. Dewey studied ________ philosophy under Morris while studying at Johns Hopkins.
12. Dewey believed that prejudice was just a phase that a society needed to go through in order to get to the new societal ________.
13. Charles Pierce did not like James' or Dewey's version of his work and thus attempted to bring forth his own form called __________.
14. Holmes and James ________ after their marriages.
(a) Went their separate ways.
(b) Wrote a book together.
(c) Taught at the same university.
(d) Became good friends.
15. In 1903, James published a book entitled _________.
(a) The Origin of the Species.
(b) The Varieties of Religious Experience.
(c) The Will to Believe.
(d) Studies of Logical Theory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dewey believed in the integration of race to create unforeseeable ___________ for all races.
2. Daniel Gillman, the first president of Johns Hopkins wanted ________ to teach philosophy at the school.
3. In May 1918, Congress amended the law to become the Espionage and _________ Act.
4. James asked his brother to stay with him after death to see if they could still ___________ after he was dead.
5. James compared Pluralism to forms of government saying that it was more like __________.
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)