|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dewey studied ________ philosophy under Morris while studying at Johns Hopkins.
2. Pragmatism states "people are the agents of their own destinies" and was not used by _________.
3. President Gillman later fired all ________ faculty from the school effectively removing anyone teaching philosophy.
(d) Metaphysical Club.
4. Dewey offered to combine the Laboratory school and ________ elementary in order to keep the funding of a wealthy patron.
5. Dewey started the laboratory school because he believed that Chicago public schools had a _________ on children.
6. Within his theory of pragmatism, James came to believe that some beliefs were __________.
7. Jane Addams wrote an article comparing the opposing sides in the Pullman strike to __________.
(a) King Lear and Ophelia,
(b) Hamlet and his father.
(c) Romeo and Juliet.
(d) Polonius and Hamlet.
8. An individual could not have a right or a freedom unless ___________ as a whole had it first.
(a) The Bible.
(b) The President.
(d) The Constitution.
9. Charles Pierce taught a ________ class in the fall of 1883 and spring of 1884 during which he announced the formation of the Metaphysical Club.
10. _______ used notes to form the Hibbert Lectures which were eventually published in ' A Pluralistic Universe'.
(a) Charles Pierce.
(b) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(c) William James.
(d) John Dewey.
11. _________ lowered employee wages but refused to help them in any way including lowering rent in the buildings he owned.
12. ___________ did not believe he was a pragmatist, even though he held many of the same beliefs.
(a) John Dewey.
(b) Oliver Holmes.
(c) W.E.B. Dubois.
(d) Benjamin Pierce.
13. Dewey had a different take on stimulus and response that stated _________.
(a) They were not necessary for studying behavior.
(b) They needed to be studied separately.
(c) They were dependent on each other.
(d) They were difficult concepts.
14. In the end Gillman ended up hiring ________ of James' suggestions for new faculty positions.
15. James compared Pluralism to forms of government saying that it was more like __________.
(a) A kingdom.
(b) An empire.
(c) A feudal system.
(d) A federal republic.
Short Answer Questions
1. The United States was currently in the middle of a ________ and many employers were cutting wages.
2. Which amendment was created to give black people more rights and to protect them after the Civil War?
3. The school was run based on the operating philosophies of ________ schools, including 'pure learning' and 'academic freedom'.
4. When his salary was less than expected John Dewey decided to _________.
5. Holmes and James ________ after their marriages.
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)