|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Henry Dana, Charles Sumner and Charles Adams wanted to use the governmental system to stop the spread of slavery. They were _________.
(c) Conscious Whigs.
2. William James spent a great deal of time and energy on being indecisive, but he was able to use it to create the idea of _________.
3. Louis Agassiz gained fame because of his discovery of _________.
(a) The dinosaurs.
(b) The wooly mammoth.
(c) The Ice Age.
4. What planet's discovery did Benjamin Pierce call 'a happy accident'
5. __________ talked the Belgian government into building an observatory and sending him to Paris to get training.
(a) Charles Pierce.
(b) Joseph Fourier.
(c) Henry Thomas Buckle.
(d) Adolph Quetlet.
6. ____________ began with a drunken man hallucinating in a tavern. This religion later became affiliated with Mesmerism.
(b) Scottish Baptism.
7. After several political battles the school was administered by _________.
(a) The original 12 member board of trustees.
(b) Native Americans.
(c) John Wheelock.
(d) Eleazer Wheelock.
8. John Dewey attended the University of Vermont and was a supporter of __________.
(a) Montpelier philosophy.
(b) Conservative individualism.
(d) Burlington philosophy.
9. Henry Sr. viewed _________ as he did everything, with a distrust of institutions.
10. Holmes was wounded ______ times during the Civil War.
11. The dominant political party during the time of the Civil War was ________.
(a) Democratic Party.
(b) Republican Party.
(c) Whig Party.
(d) Independent Party
12. The war had been compared to _________ and the Union soldiers rallied themselves around it.
(a) The Crusades.
(b) The War of Independence.
(c) The Trojan War.
(d) The storming of the Bastille.
13. ___________ felt that he was at a disadvantage because he had no formal education.
(a) Bob James.
(b) William James.
(c) Wilky James.
(d) Henry James Jr.
14. After the murder of ________ Emerson's distrust of the South grew as did his affiliation with the abolitionists.
(a) Holmes Sr.
15. Dartmouth University started as an attempt to build a school for ____________.
(a) Native Americans.
(b) Black Americans.
(c) Mexican Americans.
(d) Irish Americans.
Short Answer Questions
1. Holmes' experiences during the war led him to believe that imposing one's beliefs would always lead to __________.
2. Holmes was not present for the Battle of Fredericksburg and viewed it as _________.
3. William James was an extreme ________ like his father, but disagreed with many of his father's ideals.
4. Due to Henry James Sr.'s religious beliefs, his wife Mary Walsh had to resign her membership at the _________ church before their marriage.
5. Henry James Sr. preached _________ and stated that there was no room for morality.
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)