|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Due to Henry James Sr.'s religious beliefs, his wife Mary Walsh had to resign her membership at the _________ church before their marriage.
(a) Scottish Baptist.
2. The Civil War caused the beliefs of previous times to be __________.
3. _________ was able to integrate polygenism into the South by linking it to Christianity.
(a) George Glidden.
(b) Louis Agassiz.
(c) Josiah Nott.
(d) Samuel Cartwright.
4. A land grant was received for the school that stipulated that it be run by __________.
(a) A board of trustees.
(b) White males.
(c) Native Americans.
(d) Eleazer Wheelock.
5. _________ believed that laws were tools used by judges to set guidelines but were not actual and definitive.
(a) Nicholas St. John Green.
(b) William James.
(c) Chauncy Wright.
(d) Charles Eliot.
6. William James was an extreme ________ like his father, but disagreed with many of his father's ideals.
(d) Scottish Baptist.
7. In 1897 _________ made a speech during a monument dedication to Colonel Robert Gould Shaw.
(a) Charles Darwin.
(b) Josiah Nott.
(c) William James.
(d) Louis Agassiz.
8. Henry James Sr. was born again during the _________.
(a) Transcendentalist Movement.
(b) Great Second Awakening.
(c) Civil War.
9. _________ states that the government is created by individuals for the purpose of protecting those individuals.
(a) Transcendent Unity.
(b) Conservative Individualism.
(d) Liberal Individualism.
10. Oliver Wendell Holmes often preached the __________.
(a) The evils of slavery.
(b) Good word of the Bible.
(c) The equality of all people.
(d) Superiority of white people.
11. Louis Agassiz gained fame because of his discovery of _________.
(a) The wooly mammoth.
(b) The Ice Age.
(c) The dinosaurs.
12. After several political battles the school was administered by _________.
(a) The original 12 member board of trustees.
(b) John Wheelock.
(c) Eleazer Wheelock.
(d) Native Americans.
13. __________ talked the Belgian government into building an observatory and sending him to Paris to get training.
(a) Adolph Quetlet.
(b) Henry Thomas Buckle.
(c) Joseph Fourier.
(d) Charles Pierce.
14. In January of 1861, Richard Hallowell hired Holmes as a body guard for __________.
(a) Wendell Phillips.
(c) Dred Scott.
(d) John Brown.
15. William James and Charles Pierce became friends while they were both attending ___________.
(a) Lawrence Scientific School.
(b) Oxford University.
(c) Cambridge University.
(d) Harvard University.
Short Answer Questions
1. Holmes joined the army because he felt that it was his duty to fight for what he believed. What was his first battle?
2. Whaling expeditions were often underwritten by agencies which were run by __________.
3. Agassiz wrote a letter to ________ stating that he had not found any real evidence of the Ice Age in South America.
4. William James concluded from his trip to Brazil that the effects of race and circumstances depend on a person's __________.
5. _________ graduated from the University of Vermont in 1858 and took the position of head of the philosophy department in 1867.
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)