|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Henry Dana, Charles Sumner and Charles Adams wanted to use the governmental system to stop the spread of slavery. They were _________.
(d) Conscious Whigs.
2. What planet's discovery did Benjamin Pierce call 'a happy accident'
3. Agassiz wrote a letter to ________ stating that he had not found any real evidence of the Ice Age in South America.
(a) Benjamin Pierce.
(b) William James.
(c) Charles Darwin.
(d) Alonzo Potter.
4. William James was an extreme ________ like his father, but disagreed with many of his father's ideals.
(b) Scottish Baptist.
5. Before the war, Holmes considered _________ to be the center of intellectual thinking, like his father before him.
(a) New York.
6. Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. was a(n) _________.
7. Holmes sat on the Supreme Court for _______ years.
8. Holmes joined the army because he felt that it was his duty to fight for what he believed. What was his first battle?
(a) The Battle of Antietam.
(b) The Battle of Bull Run.
(c) The Battle of Chancelorsville.
(d) The Battle at Ball's Bluff.
9. William James concluded from his trip to Brazil that the effects of race and circumstances depend on a person's __________.
10. ________ was an officer in the Union Army and was known to many as Captain for the rest of his life.
(a) William James.
(b) Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
(c) John Dewey.
(d) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
11. Benjamin and Charles Pierce were called to verify the authenticity of a will document produced by __________.
(a) Isaac Howland Jr.
(b) Hetty Robinson.
(c) Edward Mott Robinson.
(d) Sylvia Ann Howland.
12. Quetlet published several pieces that pointed to societal factors instead of biological factors. Which country in Europe were unsure of his work?
13. __________ created the method of least squares in order to find the true location of the object.
(a) Pierre Laplace.
(b) Carl Gauss.
(c) Adrien Legendre.
(d) Benjamin Pierce.
14. _________ founded the Metaphysical Club in 1872 in Cambridge.
(a) Charles Darwin.
(b) Charles Pierce.
(c) William James.
(d) Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
15. In September of 1876 __________ died of an overdose at the age of 46.
(a) Nicholas St. John Green.
(b) Chauncy Wright.
(c) William James.
(d) Charles Eliot.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles Pierce had an addiction to ______ that started due to a childhood prescription for facial neuralgia.
2. 12 years out of school, Holmes wrote an article based on ________, the idea that if one does his job correctly and with honor, one should be fulfilled.
3. The philosophy that began to emerge with the formation of the Metaphysical Club is known as_________.
4. In 1897 _________ made a speech during a monument dedication to Colonel Robert Gould Shaw.
5. ___________ disliked immigration and created a society of married women who demanded their husbands pay for housecleaning.
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)