|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before the war, Holmes considered _________ to be the center of intellectual thinking, like his father before him.
(c) New York.
2. Henry Dana, Charles Sumner and Charles Adams wanted to use the governmental system to stop the spread of slavery. They were _________.
(b) Conscious Whigs.
3. _________ was Vermont Transcendentalism, a conservative transcendentalism that focuses on preserving institutions and systems.
(a) Burlington philosophy.
(b) Montpelier philosophy.
(c) Liberal individualism.
4. ____________ lobbied Congress to help create a National Academy of Science.
(a) Charles Darwin and Louis Agassiz.
(b) Benjamin Pierce and Louis Agassiz.
(c) Josiah Nott and Benjamin Pierce.
(d) Charles Pierce and Louis Agassiz.
5. Benjamin and Charles caused fear in the United States because of their use of ___________ in the trial.
(c) Fear tactics.
6. Which person was not a member of the 'Septum'?
(a) Chauncy Wright.
(b) Henry Buckle.
(c) Charles Eliot.
(d) Ephraim Gurney.
7. During the Civil War _________ spent ninety days with the Newport Artillery, but then spent the rest of the war studying medicine at Harvard.
(a) Charles Lowell.
(b) Henry Abbott.
(c) Henry James.
(d) William James.
8. _________ was able to integrate polygenism into the South by linking it to Christianity.
(a) Samuel Cartwright.
(b) George Glidden.
(c) Louis Agassiz.
(d) Josiah Nott.
9. The method of least squares was used by Charles in his research for the Coast Survey which led to being considered one of the best ____________
10. In the North, people were split between the Abolitionists and the _________.
(b) Pro-slavery faction.
11. ___________ disliked immigration and created a society of married women who demanded their husbands pay for housecleaning.
(a) Elizabeth Agassiz.
(b) Hetty Robinson.
(c) Harriet Melusina Fay.
(d) Sarah Pierce.
12. Many Southerners and Northerners found a problem with _________ because it seemed to contradict Genesis.
(c) Types of Mankind.
13. Agassiz wrote a letter to ________ stating that he had not found any real evidence of the Ice Age in South America.
(a) William James.
(b) Benjamin Pierce.
(c) Charles Darwin.
(d) Alonzo Potter.
14. One member of the Metaphysical Club was Chauncy Wright also known as the local ____________.
15. Whaling expeditions were often underwritten by agencies which were run by __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. The philosophy that began to emerge with the formation of the Metaphysical Club is known as_________.
2. John Dewey attended the University of Vermont and was a supporter of __________.
3. Dr. Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. was a(n) _________.
4. _________ founded the Metaphysical Club in 1872 in Cambridge.
5. Holmes was not present for the Battle of Fredericksburg and viewed it as _________.
This section contains 434 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)