|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 9 The Metaphysical Club, Section 2 | Part 3, Chapter 9 The Metaphysical Club, Section 3 | Part 3, Chapter 9 The Metaphysical Club, Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Oliver Wendell Holmes often preached the __________.
(a) The equality of all people.
(b) Superiority of white people.
(c) Good word of the Bible.
(d) The evils of slavery.
2. Wright believed that ___________ is the difference between facts and values.
3. The Civil War caused the beliefs of previous times to be __________.
4. __________ states that since there is no unknown variable, the measurement is likely to be between the two extremes.
(a) The Bell Curve Law.
(b) The Law of Statistics.
(c) The Law of Probability.
(d) The Law of Errors.
5. _________ believed that laws were tools used by judges to set guidelines but were not actual and definitive.
(a) William James.
(b) Charles Eliot.
(c) Chauncy Wright.
(d) Nicholas St. John Green.
Short Answer Questions
1. William James concluded from his trip to Brazil that the effects of race and circumstances depend on a person's __________.
2. Louis Agassiz gained fame because of his discovery of _________.
3. 12 years out of school, Holmes wrote an article based on ________, the idea that if one does his job correctly and with honor, one should be fulfilled.
4. In April of 1864, an article was published in the __________ that made him rethink his exhaustion with the war.
5. While in Brazil, ________ found the people there to be 'refined and gentlemanly' and had to reconsider previous beliefs.
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)