|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 3, Chapter 9 The Metaphysical Club, Section 2 | Part 3, Chapter 9 The Metaphysical Club, Section 3 | Part 3, Chapter 9 The Metaphysical Club, Section 4.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. _________ founded the Metaphysical Club in 1872 in Cambridge.
(a) Charles Pierce.
(b) Charles Darwin.
(c) Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
(d) William James.
2. The method of least squares was used by Charles in his research for the Coast Survey which led to being considered one of the best ____________
3. Oliver Wendell Holmes often preached the __________.
(a) The evils of slavery.
(b) The equality of all people.
(c) Good word of the Bible.
(d) Superiority of white people.
4. __________ states that since there is no unknown variable, the measurement is likely to be between the two extremes.
(a) The Law of Probability.
(b) The Bell Curve Law.
(c) The Law of Errors.
(d) The Law of Statistics.
5. The war had been compared to _________ and the Union soldiers rallied themselves around it.
(a) The Trojan War.
(b) The storming of the Bastille.
(c) The Crusades.
(d) The War of Independence.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the murder of ________ Emerson's distrust of the South grew as did his affiliation with the abolitionists.
2. ________ took statistics from numbers to people and created social mechanics.
3. After Holmes returned to the army following the Battle of Fredericksburg, there was a new regiment created of black volunteers, the __________.
4. The dominant political party during the time of the Civil War was ________.
5. __________ talked the Belgian government into building an observatory and sending him to Paris to get training.
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)