|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 2, Chapter 4 The Man of Two Minds, Section 6 | Part 2, Chapter 5 Agassiz, Section 1 | Part 2, Chapter 5 Agassiz, Section 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Henry James Sr. preached _________ and stated that there was no room for morality.
(a) Slavery as a virtue.
(b) Free love.
2. Holmes was eventually released from his commission and returned home. When he did he entered Harvard to study_________.
3. In January of 1861, Richard Hallowell hired Holmes as a body guard for __________.
(b) John Brown.
(c) Dred Scott.
(d) Wendell Phillips.
4. During the Civil War _________ spent ninety days with the Newport Artillery, but then spent the rest of the war studying medicine at Harvard.
(a) William James.
(b) Henry Abbott.
(c) Henry James.
(d) Charles Lowell.
5. Holmes was not present for the Battle of Fredericksburg and viewed it as _________.
(a) A great success.
(b) Proof of his convictions.
(d) A waste of humanity.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ published many newspaper columns and books through donations or self-publication.
2. William James spent a great deal of time and energy on being indecisive, but he was able to use it to create the idea of _________.
3. The military leaders during the time of the civil war were often chosen due to __________.
4. Holmes' experiences during the war led him to believe that imposing one's beliefs would always lead to __________.
5. Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. and Ralph Waldo Emerson worked together in order to found the ___________.
This section contains 234 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)