|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 3 The Wilderness, Section 5 | Part 2, Chapter 4 The Man of Two Minds, Section 1 | Part 2, Chapter 4 The Man of Two Minds, Section 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ________ was an officer in the Union Army and was known to many as Captain for the rest of his life.
(a) Oliver Wendell Holmes.
(b) William James.
(c) John Dewey.
(d) Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr.
2. The war had been compared to _________ and the Union soldiers rallied themselves around it.
(a) The War of Independence.
(b) The storming of the Bastille.
(c) The Trojan War.
(d) The Crusades.
3. In January of 1861, Richard Hallowell hired Holmes as a body guard for __________.
(a) Dred Scott.
(b) John Brown.
(c) Wendell Phillips.
4. Due to Henry James Sr.'s religious beliefs, his wife Mary Walsh had to resign her membership at the _________ church before their marriage.
(b) Scottish Baptist.
5. Before the war, Holmes considered _________ to be the center of intellectual thinking, like his father before him.
(b) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Battle of the Wilderness was fought by generals Lee and ________.
2. William James spent a great deal of time and energy on being indecisive, but he was able to use it to create the idea of _________.
3. The Battle of the Wilderness claimed 60,000 lives and was fought over the span of _________.
4. Holmes was not present for the Battle of Fredericksburg and viewed it as _________.
5. Holmes was wounded ______ times during the Civil War.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)