|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Part 1, Chapter 3 The Wilderness, Section 5 | Part 2, Chapter 4 The Man of Two Minds, Section 1 | Part 2, Chapter 4 The Man of Two Minds, Section 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Henry Dana, Charles Sumner and Charles Adams wanted to use the governmental system to stop the spread of slavery. They were _________.
(a) Conscious Whigs.
2. Holmes joined the army because he felt that it was his duty to fight for what he believed. What was his first battle?
(a) The Battle of Antietam.
(b) The Battle at Ball's Bluff.
(c) The Battle of Bull Run.
(d) The Battle of Chancelorsville.
3. After the murder of ________ Emerson's distrust of the South grew as did his affiliation with the abolitionists.
(a) Holmes Sr.
4. Before the war, Holmes considered _________ to be the center of intellectual thinking, like his father before him.
(b) New York.
5. Henry James Sr. was born again during the _________.
(a) Great Second Awakening.
(c) Transcendentalist Movement.
(d) Civil War.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Holmes returned to the army following the Battle of Fredericksburg, there was a new regiment created of black volunteers, the __________.
2. The military leaders during the time of the civil war were often chosen due to __________.
3. ________ was an officer in the Union Army and was known to many as Captain for the rest of his life.
4. During the Civil War _________ spent ninety days with the Newport Artillery, but then spent the rest of the war studying medicine at Harvard.
5. In January of 1861, Richard Hallowell hired Holmes as a body guard for __________.
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)