|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Renaissance, why were the Jesuits NOT considered a mendicant order?
2. When Ricci divided the fourth ideograph, "hao," what was the new meaning?
3. Why was Pope Paul IV unpopular during his reign in the 16th century?
4. When they were in their missions during the 16th century, why did Ricci and Ruggieri often want money?
5. During the Renaissance, who made up the groups in China that "pledged themselves to lives of heightened spiritual service"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was ironic about the death of Pope Paul IV in 1559?
2. What was happening to the commercial side of life at this time?
3. Why did Ricci develop mnemonic techniques during his studies in Rome?
4. Where did Ricci place this third image in the Memory Palace?
5. What are some of the things that Ricci did not like about China and its culture?
6. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what was the third Chinese character that Ricci use and what did he do with it?
7. Where in the Memory Palace did Ricci place this last image?
8. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what were some of the gifts that Ricci was able to give the Chinese?
9. What was the fourth ideograph and image that Ricci placed in the Memory Palace?
10. How did the Chinese receive the ideas of Western science?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Chinese practiced three major religions: Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism. In his efforts to Christianize the Chinese, Ricci uses the beliefs from these three religions to show the similarities to his Catholicism. Explain the basics of all four religions and discuss their similarities and differences to each other.
Essay Topic 2
Because of isolationism, the Chinese were reluctant to accept Western ideas in religion; however, the Chinese were very receptive to the Western ideas of science. Compare and contrast the discoveries made during the 16th century in Europe and China.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the Catholic attitude towards profit and property during the time of Ignatius Loyola.
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)