|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who or what urged penalties on Christians who participated with the Japanese in the Japanese use of financial tricks to make money during the 16th century?
2. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what was the next idiograph that Ricci chose?
3. During the 16th century, how did Yu Chunxi react to Ricci's criticism of the Buddhist belief that Ricci was particularly hostile?
4. What does the first picture depict in the series of prints that made up the third picture, "The Men of Sodom"?
5. When Ricci was a missionary in China, what did he Ricci report to Girolamo Costa?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things that Ricci did not like about China and its culture?
2. Where did Ricci place this third image in the Memory Palace?
3. On what did the Jesuits depend financially?
4. What was the fourth ideograph and image that Ricci placed in the Memory Palace?
5. How was Ricci able to learn the Chinese language?
6. What did the second picture depict?
7. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what was the third Chinese character that Ricci use and what did he do with it?
8. According to "Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom", what is the image in the third picture?
9. According to the author's speculation, why did Ricci seem so drawn to Mary, the mother of Jesus?
10. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what were some of the gifts that Ricci was able to give the Chinese?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Chinese practiced three major religions: Confucianism, Buddhism and Taoism. In his efforts to Christianize the Chinese, Ricci uses the beliefs from these three religions to show the similarities to his Catholicism. Explain the basics of all four religions and discuss their similarities and differences to each other.
Essay Topic 2
Ricci quotes lines from Virgil's "Aeneid" in a letter to his school friend Giulio Fuligatti. Explain the quotation and discuss its meaning as it applies to Matteo Ricci's life.
Essay Topic 3
The 15th and 16th centuries are often called the Age of Discovery or the Age of Exploration. Using Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves, discuss how Ricci's travels to India and China were representative of this period. Explain the use, availability and reliability of maps. Consider the types of vessels and the dangers that travelers would encounter.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)