|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the 16th century, how did the way Ignatius Loyola wanted students to learn affect Matteo Ricci?
2. When Ricci was a missionary in 16th century China, what did the Jesuits allow the Chinese to believe instead of the doctrine the Chinese were not ready to understand?
3. What two moral extremes were seen in Rome during the mid-16th century?
4. Why did Ricci alter the story of the third picture, "The Men of Sodom"?
5. When Ricci became a missionary in China during the 16th century, why were the Chinese eager to learn?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the fourth ideograph and image that Ricci placed in the Memory Palace?
2. What did Ricci admire and appreciate in China?
3. What was ironic about the death of Pope Paul IV in 1559?
4. Where in the Memory Palace did Ricci place this last image?
5. How did the Chinese receive the ideas of Western science?
6. Why did Ricci wish he had more money?
7. On what did the Jesuits depend financially?
8. What did Ignatius Loyola encourage the Jesuits to publish in 1559.
9. According to the author's speculation, why did Ricci seem so drawn to Mary, the mother of Jesus?
10. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what was the third Chinese character that Ricci use and what did he do with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ricci quotes lines from Virgil's "Aeneid" in a letter to his school friend Giulio Fuligatti. Explain the quotation and discuss its meaning as it applies to Matteo Ricci's life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ricci's attitude towards money and the way his attitude reflected or disagreed with the Jesuit philosophy about money and profit.
Essay Topic 3
China was a very isolated country during the life of Matteo Ricci and fought off outside influences. Discuss the reasons for the Chinese isolationism. Explain how China sought to keep Westerners out. Discuss the circumstances that brought about changes to this Chinese xenophobia.
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)