|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem arose because of the type of life that was flourishing during the 16th century when Ricci was in China?
2. When Ricci became a missionary in China during the 16th century, what was he able to do in five months?
3. How did Ricci use the concept of "ly" into his music when he was a Chinese missionary in the 16th century?
4. How old was Matteo Ricci during the time of the Inquisition and death of Pope Paul IV in the 16th century?
5. To which of the Buddhist beliefs was Ricci particularly hostile when he was a missionary in 16th century China?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Jesuits in China allow the Chinese to believe about Mary?
2. What are some of the things that Ricci did not like about China and its culture?
3. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what was the third Chinese character that Ricci use and what did he do with it?
4. Who were Ricci's first converts in China?
5. What did Ricci admire and appreciate in China?
6. Why did Ricci develop mnemonic techniques during his studies in Rome?
7. How did the Chinese receive the ideas of Western science?
8. How did Ricci use this third picture in his work with the Chinese?
9. According to "Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom", what is the image in the third picture?
10. What was happening to the commercial side of life at this time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Matteo Ricci began as a Jesuit priest and followed its philosophy to perform missionary work. Research the original philosophy of the first Jesuits and explain how Ricci exemplified this mission. Use information from Chapter One: Building the Palace to get started.
Essay Topic 2
Because of isolationism, the Chinese were reluctant to accept Western ideas in religion; however, the Chinese were very receptive to the Western ideas of science. Compare and contrast the discoveries made during the 16th century in Europe and China.
Essay Topic 3
The word "huihui" refers to different groups of Chinese and Ricci uses the ideograph "yao" to develop an image about the huihui for the Memory Palace. Research online or in the library for additional information about these two terms. Explain the meanings of the two words and the way Ricci adapts them.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)