|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the 16th century, how did the way Ignatius Loyola wanted students to learn affect Matteo Ricci?
(a) Ricci rose to the top of his class.
(b) Ricci developed his mnemonic technique.
(c) Ricci chose to become a Jesuit.
(d) Ricci argued with his instructors about the method's futility.
2. Which of these was NOT a typical gift that Ricci would give to the Chinese during his time as a missionary in the late 16th century?
(a) Bibles signed by the reigning pope.
(b) A small harpsichord.
(c) A rhinoceros horn.
(d) Religious paintings.
3. What was the state of Ricci's financial situation during most of his time in China?
(a) Stable, with regular subsidies from his Jesuit order.
(b) Poverty, with a constant threat of bankruptcy and expulsion.
(c) Unstable, ranging from poverty to riches on a steady basis.
(d) Increasing, as more wealthy Chinese convert to Christianity and begin to tithe to his church.
4. How many children were in Ricci's family?
5. According to "Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom", who promoted morality in China during the 16th century?
(a) The Chinese high priests.
(b) The Chinese bureaucracy.
(c) The Chinese religions.
(d) The Jesuit missionaries.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Renaissance Italy, what city was a stop on a pilgrim route from Rome to Lareto?
2. How many pictures are in the series of prints that made up the third picture, "The Men of Sodom"?
3. Who was arrested, beaten and imprisoned for trying to make money by keeping tribute given to the guards at the Xiangshan border during the 16th century when Ricci was in China??
4. When Ricci was a 16th century missionary in China, how did he use the event of the Inquisition when teaching the Chinese?
5. When Ricci divided the fourth ideograph, "hao," what was the new meaning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the fourth ideograph and image that Ricci placed in the Memory Palace?
2. How did Ricci use this third picture in his work with the Chinese?
3. According to "Chapter Eight, The Fourth Image: The Fourth Picture", what was the relationship between Matteo Ricci and Girolamo Costa?
4. What are some of the things that Ricci did not like about China and its culture?
5. What was happening to the commercial side of life at this time?
6. What did the Jesuits in China allow the Chinese to believe about Mary?
7. Why did Ricci develop mnemonic techniques during his studies in Rome?
8. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what were some of the gifts that Ricci was able to give the Chinese?
9. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what was the third Chinese character that Ricci use and what did he do with it?
10. Where did Ricci place this third image in the Memory Palace?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)