|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom", who promoted morality in China during the 16th century?
(a) The Chinese religions.
(b) The Chinese high priests.
(c) The Chinese bureaucracy.
(d) The Jesuit missionaries.
2. What type of life was flourishing during the 16th century when Ricci was in China?
(a) Chinese imperialism.
(b) Public service.
(d) Commercial life.
3. What did Ricci help the Chinese to see with this second picture "The Road to Emmaus"?
(a) The Chinese will see two men accepting the resurrection of God and the third preparing for His return to heaven.
(b) The Chinese will understand the power of Jesus to perform miracles.
(c) The Chinese will see the wonder of the resurrection and its effect on Christ's followers.
(d) The Chinese will understand the role of salvation in the lives of Christians.
4. According to "Chapter Eight, The Fourth Image: The Fourth Picture", what effect did Ricci's reflections on the Virgin Mary have on him?
(a) They provide him with Chinese friends.
(b) They give him solace.
(c) They make him sad.
(d) They make him nervous.
5. When Ricci divided the fourth ideograph, "hao," what was the new meaning?
(a) "Woman" and "child" created a reference to the Virgin Mary.
(b) "Man," "woman," and "child" created a reference to the Holy Family.
(c) "Woman" and "girl" created a reference to Mary's virginity.
(d) "Man" and "woman" created a reference to the marriage of Mary and Joseph.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Pope Paul IV unpopular during his reign in the 16th century?
2. At what was Ricci particularly adept during his studies in Rome during the Renaissance that helped him later with the Chinese?
3. During the 16th century, what did Yu Chunxi's teacher Zhuzong tell Yu Chunxi about Ricci's arguments?
4. Who was arrested, beaten and imprisoned for trying to make money by keeping tribute given to the guards at the Xiangshan border during the 16th century when Ricci was in China??
5. How many pictures are in the series of prints that made up the third picture, "The Men of Sodom"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the second picture depict?
2. What was happening to the commercial side of life at this time?
3. According to the author's speculation, why did Ricci seem so drawn to Mary, the mother of Jesus?
4. According to "Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom", what element of the Jesuit life did Ricci emphasize?
5. What did Ignatius Loyola encourage the Jesuits to publish in 1559.
6. What did the Jesuits in China allow the Chinese to believe about Mary?
7. Where in the Memory Palace did Ricci place this last image?
8. What are some of the things that Ricci did not like about China and its culture?
9. According to "Chapter Eight, The Fourth Image: The Fourth Picture", what was the relationship between Matteo Ricci and Girolamo Costa?
10. What was the fourth ideograph and image that Ricci placed in the Memory Palace?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)