|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ricci was a missionary in 16th century China, what did he place on the altar of the little Shaozhou Church?
(a) An oil painting of the Virgin Mary received from the Philippines.
(b) A relic of the cross received from the Pope in Rome.
(c) A painting of the Memory Palace drawn by a famous Chinese artist.
(d) A statue of Buddha next to the Catholic cross.
2. During the Renaissance, what did some believe was the purpose of these groups in China that "pledged themselves to lives of heightened spiritual service"?
(a) Social clubs to entertain wealthy Chinese businessmen.
(b) Government infiltration of religious groups.
(c) Political organizations to unionize the Chinese workers.
(d) Clandestine recruitment organizations for the Jesuits.
3. According to the author in "Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom", what was the reaction to the death of Pope Paul IV in 1559?
(a) Grief and wailing.
(b) Jesuits were expelled from foreign missionaries.
(c) Enemies capitalized on the Church's vulnerability.
(d) Joyous rioting in the city.
4. What problem arose because of the type of life that was flourishing during the 16th century when Ricci was in China?
(a) Conflicts over government benefits.
(b) Conflicts over slavery.
(c) Conflicts over workers' conditions.
(d) Conflicts over money.
5. What does the first picture depict in the series of prints that made up the third picture, "The Men of Sodom"?
(a) God blinding the men of Sodom when they try to rape the angels.
(b) Lot, Lot's wife, and their two daughters running away from the city before it is destroyed.
(c) Lot's daughters get Lot drunk and sleep with him in order to continue their family line.
(d) God promising to destroy Sodom because of its wickedness.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Pope Paul IV unpopular during his reign in the 16th century?
2. During the Renaissance, on what did the Jesuits depend financially to support themselves and their missionaries?
3. When Ricci became a missionary in China during the 16th century, what was his goal in teaching different subjects to the Chinese?
4. When Ricci was a missionary in 16th century China, what did the Jesuits allow the Chinese to believe instead of the doctrine the Chinese were not ready to understand?
5. According to "Chapter Eight, The Fourth Image: The Fourth Picture", what effect did Ricci's reflections on the Virgin Mary have on him?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what were some of the gifts that Ricci was able to give the Chinese?
2. Why did Ricci develop mnemonic techniques during his studies in Rome?
3. What are some of the things that Ricci did not like about China and its culture?
4. What was happening to the commercial side of life at this time?
5. How did Ricci use this third picture in his work with the Chinese?
6. According to "Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom", what is the image in the third picture?
7. What did Ricci admire and appreciate in China?
8. What was Ricci's attitude toward Buddhism?
9. How was Ricci able to learn the Chinese language?
10. How did the Chinese receive the ideas of Western science?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)