|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the 16th century, what did Yu Chunxi's teacher Zhuzong tell Yu Chunxi about Ricci's arguments?
(a) Ricci must be stopped by any means.
(b) Ricci was not worth his time.
(c) Ricci should be criticized in the Chinese press.
(d) Ricci was old and should be ignored.
2. During the Renaissance, what did Ignatius Loyola encourage Jesuits to do with their possessions?
(a) Keep them safe.
(b) Turn them over to the Jesuit order.
(c) Sell them.
(d) Share them.
3. When they were in their missions during the 16th century, why did Ricci and Ruggieri often want money?
(a) To travel outside the major cities to preach to the people in the countryside.
(b) To procure the proper gifts for the Chinese to impress them.
(c) To pay for transportation for the Chinese to come to the city.
(d) To buy Bibles for the fifteen Christian converts.
4. What does the first picture depict in the series of prints that made up the third picture, "The Men of Sodom"?
(a) Lot, Lot's wife, and their two daughters running away from the city before it is destroyed.
(b) Lot's daughters get Lot drunk and sleep with him in order to continue their family line.
(c) God promising to destroy Sodom because of its wickedness.
(d) God blinding the men of Sodom when they try to rape the angels.
5. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what was the next idiograph that Ricci chose?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ricci use the concept of "ly" into his music when he was a Chinese missionary in the 16th century?
2. What was the state of Ricci's financial situation during most of his time in China?
3. According to "Chapter Eight, The Fourth Image: The Fourth Picture", what doctrine were the Chinese not ready to understand when Ricci was a missionary in 16th century China?
4. To which of the Buddhist beliefs was Ricci particularly hostile when he was a missionary in 16th century China?
5. When Ricci was a 16th century missionary in China, how did he use the event of the Inquisition when teaching the Chinese?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what was the third Chinese character that Ricci use and what did he do with it?
2. What did Ricci admire and appreciate in China?
3. According to "Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom", what element of the Jesuit life did Ricci emphasize?
4. According to the author's speculation, why did Ricci seem so drawn to Mary, the mother of Jesus?
5. Why did Ricci wish he had more money?
6. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what were some of the gifts that Ricci was able to give the Chinese?
7. What did the second picture depict?
8. What are some of the things that Ricci did not like about China and its culture?
9. Where in the Memory Palace did Ricci place this last image?
10. Who were Ricci's first converts in China?
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)