|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Ricci was a missionary in 16th century China, what did the Jesuits allow the Chinese to believe instead of the doctrine the Chinese were not ready to understand?
(a) God represented Mary, pregnant with Jesus.
(b) Jesus was God made man through birth.
(c) Mary was born without original sin.
(d) Mary was assumed into heaven.
2. During the Renaissance, what did some believe was the purpose of these groups in China that "pledged themselves to lives of heightened spiritual service"?
(a) Clandestine recruitment organizations for the Jesuits.
(b) Political organizations to unionize the Chinese workers.
(c) Social clubs to entertain wealthy Chinese businessmen.
(d) Government infiltration of religious groups.
3. What did Ricci NOT like about the Confucian moral system when he was a missionary in the 16th century?
(a) Its ideas about the role of women.
(b) Its approval of animal sacrifice.
(c) Its pantheism.
(d) Its subjugation of children.
4. In Renaissance Italy, what city was a stop on a pilgrim route from Rome to Lareto?
5. Who or what urged penalties on Christians who participated with the Japanese in the Japanese use of financial tricks to make money during the 16th century?
(a) Matteo Ricci.
(b) The Council of Trent.
(c) The Japanese government.
(d) Pope Leo XII.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Renaissance, on what did the Jesuits depend financially to support themselves and their missionaries?
2. How did Ricci use the concept of "ly" into his music when he was a Chinese missionary in the 16th century?
3. How many children were in Ricci's family?
4. To which of the Buddhist beliefs was Ricci particularly hostile when he was a missionary in 16th century China?
5. According to the author in "Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom", what was the reaction to the death of Pope Paul IV in 1559?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the fourth ideograph and image that Ricci placed in the Memory Palace?
2. What did Ignatius Loyola encourage the Jesuits to publish in 1559.
3. According to the author's speculation, why did Ricci seem so drawn to Mary, the mother of Jesus?
4. According to "Chapter Six, The Third Image: Profit and Harvest", what were some of the gifts that Ricci was able to give the Chinese?
5. According to "Chapter Eight, The Fourth Image: The Fourth Picture", what was the relationship between Matteo Ricci and Girolamo Costa?
6. Who were Ricci's first converts in China?
7. What was Ricci's attitude toward Buddhism?
8. How was Ricci able to learn the Chinese language?
9. What did the second picture depict?
10. Where did Ricci place this third image in the Memory Palace?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)