|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the meaning of "yao" when Ricci translated devotional prayers while he was a missionary in China?
(c) "Heavenly Father."
2. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", why did Ricci alter the original Biblical story?
(a) He needs to get the image to represent Christ's death and atonement.
(b) He knows the Chinese have read the Bible.
(c) He realizes the Apostle Peter in the picture looks like him.
(d) He wants to see how much the Chinese remember from his other stories.
3. Describe the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves."
(a) Saul being stuck down on the road to Damascus.
(b) Apostle Peter trying to walk on water in the Sea of Galilee.
(c) Apostle Judas betraying Jesus.
(d) Jesus healing the lepers.
4. During the trip in 1578, what did the ships on which Ricci was riding pick up in Mozambique?
(a) Crates of Bibles for the missions.
(b) Nuns and orphans bound for Portugal.
(c) Dysentery and malaria.
(d) Several hundred slaves.
5. According to "Chapter Four, The Second Image: The Huihui", what tenet was similar to the three major religions of China?
Short Answer Questions
1. On this trip in 1578, what skills did Ricci develop?
2. Who encouraged the use of mnemonic devices as a way to remember the multitude of one's sins?
3. Which of the following did the Jesuits NOT do on the trip in 1578?
4. When did Ricci leave Macerata to study in Rome?
5. About what did Ricci's Chinese Christian converts complain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the three major religions in China?
2. What were the names of the ships during Ricci's trip from Lisbon to Goa in 1578?
3. What had the Japanese done to make Ricci's life difficult?
4. What was the new version of the story associated with the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves" that Ricci gave Cheng Dayue?
5. How and why did Ricci display his spirit of ecumenism in China?
6. Does the author know with certainty where Ricci picked up the idea of mnemonic devices?
7. What did Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Jesuits, think of mnemonic devices?
8. What were Ricci's rules for picking a location to store the information?
9. What did Ricci do to the second idiograph and how did the meaning change?
10. Why does Matteo Ricci agree to use his mnemonic techniques to help Governor Lu's sons?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)