|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who was the charismatic missionary to India who aimed to inspire the Asian missions of the Jesuits?
(a) Louis Pellicano.
(b) Alessandro Valignano.
(c) Francesco Martines.
(d) Ignatius Loyola.
2. According to the charismatic Jesuit missionary, which group was amenable, "soft" like women, ambivalent about war and ready to do what they were told?
(a) The Mongols.
(b) The Chinese.
(c) The Japanese.
(d) The Indians.
3. Where was the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves" to be placed?
(a) In the Grand Lobby.
(b) In the Emperor's Palace.
(c) In the Ink Garden.
(d) In the Cook's Kitchen.
4. What are mnemonic devices?
(a) Auditory tools to improve people's hearing.
(b) Recording tools to transcribe notes.
(c) Ways to remember by association.
(d) Ways to improve public speaking.
5. To whom did the Chinese emperor leave many matters to be handled?
(a) Military generals.
(b) His appointed cabinet.
(c) Elected representatives.
(d) Administrative eunuchs.
Short Answer Questions
1. How can Ricci's use of mnemonic devices be understood?
2. In the 16th century, who provided funds to Christopher Plantin to write his Bible?
3. Where are the memory palaces that Ricci creates to be built?
4. How did Ricci change the meaning of the ideograph "yao"?
5. About what did Ricci's Chinese Christian converts complain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a "huihui"?
2. What were the names of the ships during Ricci's trip from Lisbon to Goa in 1578?
3. What did Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Jesuits, think of mnemonic devices?
4. Describe the first picture, "The Apostle in the Waves" that Ricci used to instruct the Chinese.
5. Who was Alessandro Valignano and what did he think about the possibility of Asians and Japanese converting to Christianity?
6. About what did Ricci's Chinese Christian converts complain?
7. What did Ricci need the new image associated with the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves" to represent?
8. When Ricci was a missionary in the 16th century, to what did Ricci compare the hand of God to the Chinese?
9. What were Ricci's rules for picking a location to store the information?
10. According to Spence, how did Ricci use the four images and four Chinese characters?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)