|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. With whom were Macerata's rural poor fighting?
(a) The Catholic Church.
(d) City officials.
2. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", to whom did Ricci give the first picture?
(a) Kwok Sing.
(b) Kim Suk.
(c) Cheng Dayue.
(d) Dayue Cheng.
3. About what were the Jesuit missions in India concerned?
(b) Muslim assault.
(c) Influx of foreigners.
4. In what year did Ricci join the Jesuits?
5. What caused marine accidents during the 16th century in the Chinese seas?
(a) Poorly packed explosives.
(b) Poorly constructed ships.
(c) Overloading of goods, peoples and services.
(d) Rocky harbors and pirates.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the Renaissance, what was the focus of concern by the Jesuit missionaries in India?
2. How many Christians were in the Japanese army during the 16th century?
3. What is the subject of Ricci's book that he wrote while in Nanching?
4. Where was Ricci born?
5. What was the meaning of "yao" when Ricci translated the Ten Commandments while he was a missionary in China?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Alessandro Valignano and what did he think about the possibility of Asians and Japanese converting to Christianity?
2. What were the names of the ships during Ricci's trip from Lisbon to Goa in 1578?
3. Where was the Memory Palace to be built?
4. How and why did Ricci display his spirit of ecumenism in China?
5. What were the three major religions in China?
6. What did Ricci need the new image associated with the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves" to represent?
7. Describe the first picture, "The Apostle in the Waves" that Ricci used to instruct the Chinese.
8. What did Ricci do to the second idiograph and how did the meaning change?
9. How did Ricci use Chinese ideograph did Ricci use for his first image?
10. About what did Ricci's Chinese Christian converts complain?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)