|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Chapter One: Building the Palace", to what religious order did Matteo Ricci belong?
(a) The Jesuits.
(b) The Franciscans.
(c) The Benedictines.
(d) The Masons.
2. How did Ricci change the meaning of the ideograph "yao"?
(a) He used to represent the unification of the three Chinese religions.
(b) He used it to represent female Christian converts.
(c) He used it to represent Chinese who resisted conversion.
(d) He used it represent the people of one true God.
3. What was the new image of the idiograph of "wu"?
(a) A single image of a warrior ready to strike an enemy with his spear and a second warrior who grabs the first warrior's wrist to prevent him from striking the blow.
(b) A single image of a warrior ready to strike an enemy with a spear and a second warrior who cringes in fear awaiting the fatal blow.
(c) A single image of a warrior ready to strike an enemy with a spear and a second warrior poised with a spear to counter-attack.
(d) An image of two warriors facing each other, hands extended in peace with broken spears at their feet.
4. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", why did Ricci alter the original Biblical story?
(a) He knows the Chinese have read the Bible.
(b) He needs to get the image to represent Christ's death and atonement.
(c) He wants to see how much the Chinese remember from his other stories.
(d) He realizes the Apostle Peter in the picture looks like him.
5. To what does Ricci compare a ship's pilot?
(a) The hand of God.
(b) The mind of God.
(c) The eyes of the Emperor.
(d) The soul of the crew.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the meaning of "yao" when Ricci translated devotional prayers while he was a missionary in China?
2. In what other way were mnemonic devices used during the 16th century?
3. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", when Ricci travels from Nanjing to Nanchang, who appears in his most significant dream?
4. In what year did Ricci join the Jesuits?
5. From whom did Ricci devise this memory method?
Short Essay Questions
1. How and why did Ricci display his spirit of ecumenism in China?
2. What were some of the outside influences affecting Ricci's home city of Macerata?
3. Why did the death of King Sebastian of Portugal cause concern for the Jesuits?
4. What were the names of the ships during Ricci's trip from Lisbon to Goa in 1578?
5. What experiences led to Ricci's skill in drawing maps?
6. About what did Ricci's Chinese Christian converts complain?
7. During the 16th century, why did the Jesuits send two copies of their letters on two different passages when they wrote home?
8. Describe the map that Ricci has printed in 1602.
9. How did Ricci use Chinese ideograph did Ricci use for his first image?
10. Describe the training of Matteo Ricci before he arrived in China.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)