|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the subject of Ricci's book that he wrote while in Nanching?
(a) Manners and behavior in Western cultures.
(b) The teachings of the great members of Western civilization.
(c) Agriculture and animal husbandry in the Chinese countryside.
(d) An explanation of the Christian Bible.
2. According to "Chapter Two, The First Image: The Warriors", what does the Chinese idiograph "wu" symbolize?
(b) Clean and dry.
(d) Stop or prevent.
3. What did Ricci realize about his attempt at ecumenism when he was a missionary in China?
(a) He realized that the tenets of the Chinese religions did not align with Christian tenets.
(b) He realized this was not the way to high stature so he began to focus on perceptions of his social status.
(c) He realized that women and children were not accepted in Chinese society.
(d) He realized this was very successful and began to encourage other Jesuit missionaries to dress like the locals.
4. Who defended the use of these mnemonic devices as part of the moral regulation of memory?
(b) Cornelius Agrippa.
(c) Thomas Aquinas.
5. How did Ricci change the meaning of the ideograph "yao"?
(a) He used to represent the unification of the three Chinese religions.
(b) He used it to represent female Christian converts.
(c) He used it represent the people of one true God.
(d) He used it to represent Chinese who resisted conversion.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Jesuits ensure that their messages were delivered back and forth during the 16th century?
2. What did this person who appeared in Ricci's most significant dream tell him to do?
3. What were Ricci's rules for picking an area in the memory palace to store the new image of the idiograph "wu"?
4. On this trip in 1578, what skills did Ricci develop?
5. Ricci grew up in Macerata during a period of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Spence, how did Ricci use the four images and four Chinese characters?
2. What did Ignatius Loyola, founder of the Jesuits, think of mnemonic devices?
3. What were conditions in Ricci's home city of Macerata when he was a young boy?
4. According to the author Jonathan D. Spence, how did the Chinese view the use of mnemonic devices?
5. What had the Japanese done to make Ricci's life difficult?
6. According to "Chapter One: Building the Palace", what was the size of the Memory Palace that Matteo Ricci used to teach the Chinese people?
7. What were the names of the ships during Ricci's trip from Lisbon to Goa in 1578?
8. During the 16th century, why did the Jesuits send two copies of their letters on two different passages when they wrote home?
9. How and why did Ricci display his spirit of ecumenism in China?
10. Describe the first picture, "The Apostle in the Waves" that Ricci used to instruct the Chinese.
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)