|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Four, The Second Image: The Huihui.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom did Ricci meet in Lisbon, Portugal, who died without an heir?
(a) King Edward of England.
(b) King Ferdinand of Spain.
(c) King John III of France.
(d) King Sebastian of Portugal.
2. During the Renaissance, what was one element missing in the training of Jesuits while in Rome?
(a) Instruction in world cultures.
(b) Instruction in world languages.
(c) Instruction in alternative doctrines.
(d) Instruction in similarities among religions.
3. What were Ricci's rules for picking an area in the memory palace to store the new image of the idiograph "wu"?
(a) Find a clean and dry space.
(b) Find a small and narrow space.
(c) Find a quiet and small space.
(d) Find a large and wide space.
4. Toward the end of his life, what irony struck Ricci about the Chinese?
(a) The Chinese feared foreign nations despite having a large population and large army.
(b) The Chinese were better educated than the threatening nations.
(c) The Chinese in the cities embraced Catholicism before the people in the rural areas.
(d) The Chinese sought to dominate smaller surrounding countries.
5. What did this person who appeared in Ricci's most significant dream tell him to do?
(a) Begin preaching in Peking.
(b) Establish a mission in Shanghai.
(c) Set up an orphanage in Zhaoqing.
(d) Learn the Chinese language.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Ricci display his sense of ecumenism in China when he was a missionary?
2. Who defended the use of these mnemonic devices as part of the moral regulation of memory?
3. What effect did the Japanese threat have on Ricci?
4. According to "Chapter One: Building the Palace", how did Ricci believe that humans could remember anything?
5. According to the charismatic Jesuit missionary, which group was amenable, "soft" like women, ambivalent about war and ready to do what they were told?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)