|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Four, The Second Image: The Huihui.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the trip in 1578, what did the ships on which Ricci was riding pick up in Mozambique?
(a) Nuns and orphans bound for Portugal.
(b) Dysentery and malaria.
(c) Crates of Bibles for the missions.
(d) Several hundred slaves.
2. What kind of map did Ricci draw in 1584?
(a) A map of Europe with Chinese names.
(b) A world map with Chinese names for the countries of the world.
(c) A map of the Chinese seas with Westernized names.
(d) A map of the New World for Jesuit missionaries set to travel there.
3. How did Ricci use the first four memory images in his memory palace?
(a) To help the Chinese understand the life of Christ.
(b) To compare the life of Christ with Confucius.
(c) To illustrate his strong ability with mnemonic devices.
(d) To impress his superiors with his knowledge of theology.
4. What are mnemonic devices?
(a) Auditory tools to improve people's hearing.
(b) Ways to improve public speaking.
(c) Ways to remember by association.
(d) Recording tools to transcribe notes.
5. Where was Ricci born?
(a) In Peking, China.
(b) In Macerata, Italy.
(c) In Lisbon, Portugal.
(d) In Florence, Italy.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "Chapter One: Building the Palace", to what religious order did Matteo Ricci belong?
2. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", why did Ricci alter the original Biblical story?
3. What did Matteo Ricci teach the Chinese people?
4. Who were the "huihui of the cross" during the 16th century when Ricci was in China?
5. In Ricci's version of the story of the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves," to whom did he compare Jesus?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)