|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five, The Second Picture: The Road to Emmaus.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of map did Ricci draw in 1584?
(a) A world map with Chinese names for the countries of the world.
(b) A map of the Chinese seas with Westernized names.
(c) A map of the New World for Jesuit missionaries set to travel there.
(d) A map of Europe with Chinese names.
2. According to "Chapter One: Building the Palace", to what religious order did Matteo Ricci belong?
(a) The Franciscans.
(b) The Jesuits.
(c) The Masons.
(d) The Benedictines.
3. In what year did Ricci join the Jesuits?
4. In his book of memory, where did Ricci places the four memory images?
(a) In his kitchen.
(b) In his bedroom.
(c) In his reception hall.
(d) In his garden.
5. According to the charismatic Jesuit missionary, which group was amenable, "soft" like women, ambivalent about war and ready to do what they were told?
(a) The Japanese.
(b) The Indians.
(c) The Mongols.
(d) The Chinese.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the new image of the idiograph of "wu"?
2. In the 16th century who was Gian Pietro Maffei?
3. When Ricci was a missionary, what religion was he startled to learn was practiced by some Chinese?
4. Which war(s) did Ricci study that influenced his ideas about warfare?
5. What did Ignatius encourage the Jesuits to publish when they published their first books in the 16th century?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)