|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Five, The Second Picture: The Road to Emmaus.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From whom did Ricci devise this memory method?
(a) The Greek poet Simonides.
(b) The Greek poet Aristotle.
(c) The Roman poet Ovid.
(d) The Renaissance playwright Christopher Marlowe.
2. When Ricci was a missionary, what religion was he startled to learn was practiced by some Chinese?
3. According to "Chapter One: Building the Palace", how did Ricci believe that humans could remember anything?
(a) By associating a memory with an image.
(b) By writing the thing to be remembered over and over.
(c) By singing a song about the thing to be remembered.
(d) By reciting over and over.
4. What effect did the Japanese threat have on Ricci?
(a) The Chinese ignored both the Christians and Ricci.
(b) The Chinese tolerated Christians but ignored Ricci.
(c) The Chinese despised Christians and feared Ricci.
(d) The Chinese welcomed Christians and embraced Ricci.
5. According to Ricci, which one of these is NOT a way in which memory palaces can be built?
(a) Drawn from pure imagination and fiction
(b) Drawn from paintings in the emperor's palace.
(c) Drawn from a combination of reality that exists and from pure imagination and fiction.
(d) Drawn from reality that exists.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who criticized the use of "monstrous" images for causing "madness and frenzy instead of profound and sure memory"?
2. Where did Ricci spend five years as an apprentice?
3. How did Ricci display his sense of ecumenism in China when he was a missionary?
4. According to "Chapter Two, The First Image: The Warriors", what does the Chinese idiograph "wu" symbolize?
5. When Ricci became a missionary in China during the 16th century, what was wrong with the science taught to the Chinese?
This section contains 345 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)