|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Seven, The Third Picture: The Men of Sodom.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During the 16th century, how did the way Ignatius Loyola wanted students to learn affect Matteo Ricci?
(a) Ricci chose to become a Jesuit.
(b) Ricci developed his mnemonic technique.
(c) Ricci rose to the top of his class.
(d) Ricci argued with his instructors about the method's futility.
2. Describe the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves."
(a) Apostle Judas betraying Jesus.
(b) Jesus healing the lepers.
(c) Saul being stuck down on the road to Damascus.
(d) Apostle Peter trying to walk on water in the Sea of Galilee.
3. What caused marine accidents during the 16th century in the Chinese seas?
(a) Rocky harbors and pirates.
(b) Poorly packed explosives.
(c) Poorly constructed ships.
(d) Overloading of goods, peoples and services.
4. How did Ricci learn more about China?
(a) Through his journeys across its rivers, lakes and canals.
(b) Through his seminary work with the Jesuits.
(c) Through reading books and poetry of famous Chinese authors.
(d) Through studying Chinese religions.
5. According to "Chapter Five, The Second Picture: The Road to Emmaus", what did Ricci teach to the Chinese that he compared to branches of a stream?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following did the Jesuits NOT do on the trip in 1578?
2. Where had Ricci traveled throughout 1578?
3. According to "Chapter Three, the First Picture: The Apostle in the Waves", when Ricci travels from Nanjing to Nanchang, who appears in his most significant dream?
4. On this trip in 1578, what skills did Ricci develop?
5. In Ricci's version of the story of the first picture "The Apostle in the Waves," to whom did he compare Jesus?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)