|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the Morse code based on?
2. Who developed a system of logic that would not have been possible without writing?
3. An alphabetical list did not take what element of the word into account at all, but mechanically placed it in a slot based on the order of the letters?
4. Who invented the telegraph?
5. How did Bertrand Russell address conflicting results produced by the Principia Mathematica? the problem of these recursive paradoxes by simply making them against the rules of his formal system.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who developed the Principia Mathematica and what did it provide?
2. Who was Claude Shannon?
3. What were the two stages of a "bit" as conceived by Claude Shannon?
4. Who first at the concept of "bandwith" and in what context was it first conceived?
5. What did Claude Shannon create from examining the statistical makeup of the English language?
6. By the 1930s the telephone had replace the telegraph as the most advanced means of communication. What advantages did the telephone have over the telegraph?
7. Why did Ada Lovelace publish her mathematical arguments anonymously?
8. What were examples of the use of mathematics in the Babylonian culture?
9. Who first conceived the idea of a machine that could think and under what circumstances?
10. After the use of pictures, what were the next two stages of language development?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the work of Charles Babbage. What was the purpose of his machine, the "difference engine" and how did it function? What contribution did the Babylonians make to mathematics and how was it relevant to knowledge sharing?
Essay Topic 2
Explain why electricity opened up the field of communication? How did the electric telegraph function and why was it superior to the earlier French version? How did the telegraph impact global communications?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between genes and DNA? What are the properties of DAN and where is it found in an organism?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)