|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do early experiments show about entangled particles which are particles that are mysteriously linked to one another even over long distances?
(a) They are useless in the transference of information.
(b) They can be used to send information.
(c) The information they send is not reliable.
(d) They can send only limited information.
2. "Entropy" was first used by what individual to describe the unavailability of energy?
(a) Isaac Newton.
(b) Albert Einstein.
(c) Rudolph Clausius.
(d) Galileo Galilei.
3. The elements of DNA come in predictable proportions of what shape?
(a) Figure eight.
(b) Double spiral.
(c) Infinity symbol.
(d) Double helix.
4. What process can measure the limits of the human mind?
(a) Psychoanalytical evaluation.
(b) Information theory.
(c) Information technology.
(d) Knowledge management.
5. What does the word "cybernetics" mean?
(a) The study of robotics.
(b) The study of the relationship between man and machine.
(c) The same as computer science.
(d) The study of Internet crime.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the premise of the story by Jorge Luis Borges entitled, "Library of Babel"?
2. What did Seth Lloyd, a quantum engineer at MIT, base his estimates on the universe on?
3. What did Charles Bennet prove about energy cost?
4. What was Rolf Landauer's opinion of John von Neumann's theory on the energy cost of information?
5. What does the size of the algorithm indicate about the number?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between man and his memes?
2. What was John von Neumann's theory on energy cost and how did Rolf Landauer disprove that concept?
3. What estimates did Seth Lloyd, a quantum engineer at MIT, make about the power of the universe?
4. What was discovered through the study of thermodynamics about the movement of energy?
5. The connection of information with entropy and the physical realm was important to what physics discipline?
6. What was the original meaning of the term "entropy"?
7. Norbert Weiner based his theory on what system of the human body?
8. What was the "Library of Babel" that was described in a story by Jorge Luis Borges?
9. What has research shown about entangled particles and the transference of information?
10. What was mathematician Gregory Chatin's concept on entropy?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)