|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Augustus Saint-Gaudens when his father apprenticed him to a cameo cutter?
2. What illness did Saint-Gaudens suffer in June of 1900?
3. How high above New York Harbor does the torch on Lady Liberty stand?
4. Who posed for the legs for the memorial statue of Farragut?
5. Who discovered artist James Earle Fraser?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons did Augustus Saint-Gaudens give friends for not enlisting in the French military in 1870?
2. What were the terms of France's surrender to the Germans in 1871?
3. What made the Sargent portrait, Madame X, so controversial in its time?
4. What is the Farragut? Who does it portray?
5. Who was Elihu Washburne? Why did he refuse to leave Paris in 1870 when troops began to descend on Paris?
6. Why was the Eiffel Tower dubbed the Tower of Babel before it was even constructed?
7. What is considered Augustus Saint-Gaudens' greatest monument?
8. What was the American Ambulance? Who created it?
9. What accomplishment did Elihu Washburne's maternal grandfather complete that made Washburne's mother deeply proud of him?
10. What type of paintings did John Singer Sargent paint most often?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the Ecole de Medicine? Why did many Americans chose to attend medical school in Paris? How did French medical training contrast with American medical training? How did medical protocols compare with American? Who were the teachers at the Ecole de Medicine? How did their techniques differ from what Americans had previously been taught?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss one of the following people in an essay using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Charles Sumner
2) John Sanderson
3) Nathaniel Willis
4) Emma Willard.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following historical events in an essay, using quotes from the book to support your conclusions:
1) Siege of Paris
2) American Civil War
3) Laying of the Transatlantic Cable
4) Invention of the telegraph.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)