|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the area where Rome was not contradicting itself?
2. How many assembled bodies governed Rome?
3. What did Hannibal likely not understand as he rose against Rome?
4. How did the average Roman soldier feel about the battle to come?
5. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does the author address about the Battle at Cannae?
2. What gave Polybius access to research material?
3. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
4. What thrived in Carthage?
5. What did the author compare the Punic War to?
6. How was Hannibal prepared for battle according to Chapter 3?
7. How did some rise in military ranks?
8. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
9. Who was Titius Livius?
10. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the importance of allies for both the Romans and the Carthaginians.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the impact that Fabius and Minucius had on the leadership of Roman troops.
Essay Topic 3
Compare the cities of Rome and Carthage, examining their similarities and differences.
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)