|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Carthage settled?
2. What did Hannibal likely not understand as he rose against Rome?
3. How did Carthage deal with failure?
4. Who settled Carthage?
5. Why did ancient historians make their work entertaining and dramatic?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gave Polybius access to research material?
2. What did Polybius examine when he hiked through the Alps?
3. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
4. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
5. What was Carthage's reputation?
6. How did religion come into play?
7. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
8. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
9. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
10. What were the three assembled bodies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's comparison between Hannibal and Hitler and Carthage to Britain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the history of the Roman legion and its structure.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the three assembled bodies in Rome, and discuss how they governed and influenced war.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)