|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where were the survivors of the Battle of Cannae banished to?
2. What were gladiators originally meant for?
3. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
4. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
5. How did Carthage deal with failure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
2. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
3. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
4. Who was Titius Livius?
5. What did the author compare the Punic War to?
6. How was Hannibal prepared for battle according to Chapter 3?
7. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
8. What did Aristotle say about the Carthaginian government?
9. What thrived in Carthage?
10. What were the three assembled bodies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of infanticide and how people viewed Carthaginians.
Essay Topic 2
Compare O'Connell's book on Cannae with that of another historian and compare/contrast their style, their conclusions, and the factual information in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the ghosts of Cannae and their struggles after the battle.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)