|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the battle of Cannae take place?
2. How did Carthage usually deal with military problems that arose?
3. What was unique about the tablet Polybius studied?
4. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
5. What did the Romans do after something failed?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were the three assembled bodies?
2. How did religion come into play?
3. What was Carthage's reputation?
4. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
5. What did the author compare the Punic War to?
6. How did some rise in military ranks?
7. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
8. How was Hannibal prepared for battle according to Chapter 3?
9. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
10. What did Polybius examine when he hiked through the Alps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role that religion and sacrifice had for the Romans and Carthaginians.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the background of Publius Scipio, and compare him to Roman military leaders who proceeded him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of hedonism and how it affected the troops.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)