|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
2. What did Carthage focus on?
3. What was the first sign of an invasion at Cannae according to Chapter 2?
4. How many soldiers fought at Cannae?
5. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
2. What did the author compare the Punic War to?
3. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
4. Who was Fabius Pictor?
5. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
6. What biases came through in Polybius' writings?
7. What gave Polybius access to research material?
8. How was Hannibal prepared for battle according to Chapter 3?
9. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
10. How did religion come into play?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of infanticide and how people viewed Carthaginians.
Essay Topic 2
Compare O'Connell's book on Cannae with that of another historian and compare/contrast their style, their conclusions, and the factual information in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the three assembled bodies in Rome, and discuss how they governed and influenced war.
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)