|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hannibal choose to fight with the wind in his back?
2. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
3. What were gladiators originally meant for?
4. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
5. What did archeological finds show about Carthage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Hannibal prepared for battle according to Chapter 3?
2. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
3. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
4. Who was Titius Livius?
5. What gave Polybius access to research material?
6. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
7. What question does the author address about the Battle at Cannae?
8. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
9. What did Polybius examine when he hiked through the Alps?
10. What did the author compare the Punic War to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roles of Polybius of Megalopolis and Titius Livius in recounting the history of the Battle of Cannae.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the importance of allies for both the Romans and the Carthaginians.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the background of Publius Scipio, and compare him to Roman military leaders who proceeded him.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)