|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Carthage focus on?
2. What did Hannibal likely not understand as he rose against Rome?
3. What was the problem with basic Roman tactics at Cannae?
4. What does Robert O'Connell describe the Punic War to?
5. How long after Hannibals's invasion of Italy does Chapter 1 start?
Short Essay Questions
1. What question does the author address about the Battle at Cannae?
2. Who was Fabius Pictor?
3. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
4. What gave Polybius access to research material?
5. What biases came through in Polybius' writings?
6. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
7. How did some rise in military ranks?
8. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
9. What was Carthage's reputation?
10. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's comparison between Hannibal and Hitler and Carthage to Britain.
Essay Topic 2
Compare O'Connell's book on Cannae with that of another historian and compare/contrast their style, their conclusions, and the factual information in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of hedonism and how it affected the troops.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)