|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many assembled bodies governed Rome?
2. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
3. What differentiated Romans and Greeks as far as religion?
4. Where was Polybius of Megalopolis at the start of Chapter 1?
5. How did Carthage usually deal with military problems that arose?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who set up a trap for Hannibal and his men?
2. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
3. What did the Romans find when trying to take Syracuse?
4. What is a plausible statement according to O'Connell in Chapter 5?
5. What would the Carthaginian soldiers do?
6. What did the Romans turn to?
7. What did the Roman soldiers do deliberately?
8. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
9. What was Scipio's goal?
10. What was the trip like as Hannibal put together his armada?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the cities of Rome and Carthage, examining their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 2
Compare O'Connell's book on Cannae with that of another historian and compare/contrast their style, their conclusions, and the factual information in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the background of Publius Scipio, and compare him to Roman military leaders who proceeded him.
This section contains 885 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)