|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could cause confusion in the Roman army?
2. What was the tablet Polybius studied made of?
3. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
4. What did Carthage focus on?
5. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
2. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
3. What did Polybius examine when he hiked through the Alps?
4. What gave Polybius access to research material?
5. How was Hannibal prepared for battle according to Chapter 3?
6. What biases came through in Polybius' writings?
7. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
8. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
9. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
10. What did Aristotle say about the Carthaginian government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Aristotle's conclusions regarding the Carthaginian government.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the importance of allies for both the Romans and the Carthaginians.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the Roman legion and its structure.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)