|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much food did Hannibal's army have before the Battle of Cannae?
2. What did the tablet Polybius studied tell the story of?
3. How was Carthage's reputation with other nations?
4. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
5. When did the battle of Cannae take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author compare the Punic War to?
2. Who was Titius Livius?
3. What biases came through in Polybius' writings?
4. How did some rise in military ranks?
5. How did religion come into play?
6. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
7. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
8. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
9. What were the three assembled bodies?
10. What gave Polybius access to research material?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the role that religion and sacrifice had for the Romans and Carthaginians.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Second Punic War and the statement that it was the "first world war in the history of humankind."
Essay Topic 3
Compare O'Connell's book on Cannae with that of another historian and compare/contrast their style, their conclusions, and the factual information in the book.
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)