|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first sign of an invasion at Cannae according to Chapter 2?
2. When did the battle of Cannae take place?
3. How long did those who serve in the military have to enlist for in periods of great danger?
4. What did ancient historians believe strongly in?
5. What were Carthaginian's writing mostly about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
2. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
3. How did some rise in military ranks?
4. What biases came through in Polybius' writings?
5. What question does the author address about the Battle at Cannae?
6. What gave Polybius access to research material?
7. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
8. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
9. What thrived in Carthage?
10. What did Aristotle say about the Carthaginian government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Aristotle's conclusions regarding the Carthaginian government.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of hedonism and how it affected the troops.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role that the senate played in Scipio's leadership and directives.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)