|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first sign of an invasion at Cannae according to Chapter 2?
2. How was Carthage's reputation with other nations?
3. How long did those who serve in the infantry have to enlist for?
4. What were Carthaginians using in battle?
5. When was Carthage settled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
2. What was Carthage's reputation?
3. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
4. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
5. What were the three assembled bodies?
6. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
7. Who was Fabius Pictor?
8. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
9. What biases came through in Polybius' writings?
10. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the background of Publius Scipio, and compare him to Roman military leaders who proceeded him.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role that the senate played in Scipio's leadership and directives.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hasdrubal Barca and Hannibal, and compare and contrast their strategies.
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)