|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hannibal know of the Roman army according to "Carthage"?
2. How long after Hannibals's invasion of Italy does Chapter 1 start?
3. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
4. What did Carthage focus on?
5. When did the battle of Cannae take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Polybius examine when he hiked through the Alps?
2. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
3. What thrived in Carthage?
4. What were the three assembled bodies?
5. What biases came through in Polybius' writings?
6. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
7. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
8. How was Hannibal prepared for battle according to Chapter 3?
9. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
10. What was Carthage's reputation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what we can learn from battles like the Battle at Cannae.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the importance of allies for both the Romans and the Carthaginians.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of hedonism and how it affected the troops.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)