|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the average Roman soldier feel about the battle to come?
2. Why was Hannibal's plan so risky?
3. How many Romans died at Cannae?
4. How did Carthage usually deal with military problems that arose?
5. What did Carthage focus on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
2. What were the three assembled bodies?
3. What did the author compare the Punic War to?
4. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
5. Who was Titius Livius?
6. What thrived in Carthage?
7. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
8. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
9. How did some rise in military ranks?
10. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Second Punic War and the statement that it was the "first world war in the history of humankind."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the background of Publius Scipio, and compare him to Roman military leaders who proceeded him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hannibal's background and leadership and compare his strategies to that of Alexander the Great.
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)