|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
2. How did the average Roman soldier feel about the battle to come?
3. How did Polybius travel the Alps?
4. How many assembled bodies governed Rome?
5. What does Robert O'Connell describe the Punic War to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Romans go into the battle thinking?
2. Why did some Romans defect?
3. What were the three assembled bodies?
4. What did the Roman soldiers do deliberately?
5. How was Hannibal prepared for battle according to Chapter 3?
6. What did Hannibal know when the Romans dismounted?
7. What did Hannibal have the occasion to do twice?
8. What changed for the ghosts of Cannae?
9. What happened to Hannibal's armada in mid-September?
10. What did Aristotle say about the Carthaginian government?
Essay Topic 1
Compare O'Connell's book on Cannae with that of another historian and compare/contrast their style, their conclusions, and the factual information in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the cities of Rome and Carthage, examining their similarities and differences.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Second Punic War and the statement that it was the "first world war in the history of humankind."
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)