|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
2. When was Carthage settled?
3. What were Carthaginians using in battle?
4. What did archeological finds show about Carthage?
5. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
2. What thrived in Carthage?
3. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
4. What gave Polybius access to research material?
5. What were the three assembled bodies?
6. What did Aristotle say about the Carthaginian government?
7. Who was Titius Livius?
8. What question does the author address about the Battle at Cannae?
9. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
10. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare O'Connell's book on Cannae with that of another historian and compare/contrast their style, their conclusions, and the factual information in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Second Punic War and the statement that it was the "first world war in the history of humankind."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Hasdrubal Barca and Hannibal, and compare and contrast their strategies.
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)