|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Polybius of Megalopolis at the start of Chapter 1?
2. How many assembled bodies governed Rome?
3. What did nations consider Carthaginians to be?
4. How many Romans died at Cannae?
5. How long did those who serve in the military have to enlist for in periods of great danger?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
2. Who was Fabius Pictor?
3. What did Polybius examine when he hiked through the Alps?
4. What was Carthage's reputation?
5. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
6. What question does the author address about the Battle at Cannae?
7. What thrived in Carthage?
8. What did the author compare the Punic War to?
9. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
10. What did Aristotle say about the Carthaginian government?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Second Punic War and the statement that it was the "first world war in the history of humankind."
Essay Topic 2
Examine the three assembled bodies in Rome, and discuss how they governed and influenced war.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the ghosts of Cannae and their struggles after the battle.
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)