|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Carthage deal with failure?
2. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
3. Why did ancient historians make their work entertaining and dramatic?
4. How many books did Titus Livius write?
5. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gave Polybius access to research material?
2. What thrived in Carthage?
3. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
4. What did the author compare the Punic War to?
5. What were the three assembled bodies?
6. What did Polybius examine when he hiked through the Alps?
7. How was Hannibal prepared for battle according to Chapter 3?
8. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
9. Who was Titius Livius?
10. How did some rise in military ranks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of hedonism and how it affected the troops.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the role that religion and sacrifice had for the Romans and Carthaginians.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the ghosts of Cannae and their struggles after the battle.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)