|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do historians agree on about Hannibal's troops?
(a) They were weak.
(b) They were hungry.
(c) They were turning against themselves.
(d) They were tired.
2. What was the Roman tradition when two armies came to fight together?
(a) Each commander was commanding every other day.
(b) The oldest commander took over.
(c) The youngest commander took over.
(d) The commander with the most experience took over.
3. How did Hannibal learn what he knew about the Roman army?
(a) Nobody knows.
(b) Reading Roman publications.
(c) By studying previous engagements.
(d) By capturing Romans.
4. What does the author say is speculation?
(a) Hannibal took no prisonners.
(b) That Hannibal used slaves as spies.
(c) Hnannibal was a copy cat.
(d) Hannibal was not the military genius, his brother was.
5. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
(a) One for every 4 foot soldiers.
(b) One for every 13 foot soldiers.
(c) One for every 15 foot soldiers.
(d) One for every 12 foot soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were some of the Roman soldiers left behind?
2. What did Hannibal encourage his soldiers to do?
3. What was Hannibal willing to take?
4. Why did Roman horsemen dismount during the battle?
5. How did the Romans signal their incoming battle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hannibal begin doing?
2. What was the trip like as Hannibal put together his armada?
3. What was the one fact about Hannibal that went without dispute?
4. What is a plausible statement according to O'Connell in Chapter 5?
5. What did the Romans go into the battle thinking?
6. Who set up a trap for Hannibal and his men?
7. What did the Romans turn to?
8. What would the Carthaginian soldiers do?
9. What happened to Hannibal's armada in mid-September?
10. What did Hannibal know when the Romans dismounted?
This section contains 781 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)