|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hannibal want his troops to do to destabilize the Roman army?
(a) Force them out before breakfast.
(b) Force them out during a torrential rain.
(c) Force them out as it was sunny.
(d) Force them out at night.
2. What does the author say is speculation?
(a) Hnannibal was a copy cat.
(b) Hannibal took no prisonners.
(c) That Hannibal used slaves as spies.
(d) Hannibal was not the military genius, his brother was.
3. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
(a) He paid them.
(b) He killed their leader and took his place.
(c) He attacked a Gaul tribe, killed the men and boys and raped the women.
(d) He faked a Roman attack.
4. What was established in Hannibal's army during the trip to Italy?
(a) 5 small cities.
(b) A training program.
(c) A rigid chain of command.
(d) An inner group of advisors.
5. What did Hannibal know about the Roman army?
(a) Their commanders.
(b) Their strength and weaknesses.
(c) Their equipment.
(d) Their weakest men.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Roman soldiers reluctant to destroy crops?
2. What was Hannibal the first to do in the Alps?
3. What question about Hannibal's travel is still unanswered?
4. When did Hannibal leave for Italy?
5. When did the tide of the war start to turn for the Romans according to "Cannae"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a plausible statement according to O'Connell in Chapter 5?
2. What weakness of Hannibal did Fabius Maximus figure out?
3. What did Hannibal learn about the Roman army by watching them?
4. What happened when Hannibal eluded Publius Scipio?
5. What happened in Rome after the battle in Cannae?
6. What did the Romans go into the battle thinking?
7. What reputation did Hannibal have among historians according to Chapter 4?
8. What changed for the ghosts of Cannae?
9. What did Hannibal begin doing?
10. Who was Hannibal met by when they crossed the Alps and what happened?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)