|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hannibal count on to toughen and train his troops?
(a) A severe training program.
(b) Battling small tribes on the way to Italy.
(c) Games during the trip to Italy.
(d) The tough terrain on the way to Italy.
2. What was Hannibal's army formation like?
(a) A backward letter "L".
(b) A backward letter "P".
(c) A backward letter "C".
(d) A backward letter "B".
3. How did Hannibal avoid Publius Scipio's army?
(a) By going through marshes.
(b) By fleeing at night.
(c) By marching faster than Publius did.
(d) By hiding in a tree.
4. Why did the Battle at Cannae have to come quickly?
(a) Both sides were low on food.
(b) Both side wanted to crush the other.
(c) Both side were tired.
(d) Both sides were eager.
5. How did Hannibal learn what he knew about the Roman army?
(a) By studying previous engagements.
(b) Reading Roman publications.
(c) By capturing Romans.
(d) Nobody knows.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was even more difficult to do than going up icy slopes?
2. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
3. How many soldiers were taken prisoner by Hannibal during the Battle of Cannae?
4. What did Africanus do to protect his father?
5. Why were some of the Roman soldiers left behind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Hannibal begin doing?
2. What did Hannibal learn about the Roman army by watching them?
3. What was the one fact about Hannibal that went without dispute?
4. What is a plausible statement according to O'Connell in Chapter 5?
5. What happened when Hannibal eluded Publius Scipio?
6. What weakness of Hannibal did Fabius Maximus figure out?
7. Who set up a trap for Hannibal and his men?
8. What happened to Hannibal's armada in mid-September?
9. What changed for the ghosts of Cannae?
10. What did Hannibal know when the Romans dismounted?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)