|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hannibal learn what he knew about the Roman army?
(a) Reading Roman publications.
(b) By capturing Romans.
(c) Nobody knows.
(d) By studying previous engagements.
2. What did Hannibal count on to toughen and train his troops?
(a) Battling small tribes on the way to Italy.
(b) The tough terrain on the way to Italy.
(c) A severe training program.
(d) Games during the trip to Italy.
3. What was even more difficult to do than going up icy slopes?
(a) Feeding horses.
(b) Taming elephants.
(c) Going down rocky slopes.
(d) Going down icy slopes.
4. How old was Africanus during his first battle against Hannibal?
5. What did Hannibal's troops find in Cannae that helped them?
(c) A weaponsmith.
(d) Grain storage and supply dump.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Fabius doing while burning structures and supplies?
2. What did Hannibal lose while avoiding the Roman army?
3. What does the author say is speculation?
4. What hindered Hannibal's army in previous battles against the Romans?
5. What followed the pinning of the center of an army in Hannibal's tactics?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Hannibal's men and animals suffering from?
2. What did Hannibal begin doing?
3. What happened to Hannibal's armada in mid-September?
4. What is a plausible statement according to O'Connell in Chapter 5?
5. What did the Romans turn to?
6. What weakness of Hannibal did Fabius Maximus figure out?
7. What did the Romans go into the battle thinking?
8. What reputation did Hannibal have among historians according to Chapter 4?
9. What happened in Rome after the battle in Cannae?
10. What changed for the ghosts of Cannae?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)