|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were the Romans able to defeat Carthage?
(a) By learning to fight like Greeks.
(b) By ignoring what their training told them.
(c) By learning to fight like Hannibal.
(d) By amassing a larger army.
2. What reputation did Hannibal have, according to some historians?
(a) A butcher.
(b) A good man.
(c) A clever man.
(d) A monster.
3. What did Hannibal do that contradicted his reputation?
(a) He buried his dead enemies.
(b) He didn't know how to read.
(c) He did not eat meat.
(d) He never killed a prisoner.
4. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
5. How old was Publius Cornelius Scipio during the Battle of Cannae?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were the Roman soldiers reluctant to destroy crops?
2. Who set traps for Hannibal's army?
3. What was established in Hannibal's army during the trip to Italy?
4. What did Hannibal's troops find in Cannae that helped them?
5. What does the author say is speculation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were Hannibal's men and animals suffering from?
2. What happened in Rome after the battle in Cannae?
3. What did Hannibal try to start with Fabius?
4. What happened when Hannibal eluded Publius Scipio?
5. What would the Carthaginian soldiers do?
6. What is a plausible statement according to O'Connell in Chapter 5?
7. What did the Romans go into the battle thinking?
8. Who set up a trap for Hannibal and his men?
9. Who was Hannibal met by when they crossed the Alps and what happened?
10. What was the trip like as Hannibal put together his armada?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)