|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the first sign of an invasion at Cannae according to Chapter 2?
(b) A dust cloud.
(c) Advanced scouts.
(d) Food supplies arriving 24 hours before the Roman main army.
2. How did Polybius travel the Alps?
(b) On a carriage.
(c) On a horse.
(d) On an elephant.
3. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) Keep the Gauls under control.
(b) Keep the Carthagenians under control.
(c) Keep the Celts under control.
(d) Keep the Greeks under control.
4. What did the Roman do when they liked something?
(a) They copied it.
(b) They called it Roman.
(c) They bought it.
(d) They destroyed it.
5. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the tablet Polybius studied made of?
2. What was unique about the tablet Polybius studied?
3. How many books by Titus Livius survive today?
4. What was there little of in Carthage?
5. How many soldiers fought at Cannae?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
2. What gave Polybius access to research material?
3. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
4. What biases came through in Polybius' writings?
5. How was Hannibal prepared for battle according to Chapter 3?
6. How did some rise in military ranks?
7. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
8. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
9. What were the three assembled bodies?
10. Who was Titius Livius?
This section contains 657 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)