|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much food did Hannibal's army have before the Battle of Cannae?
(a) 30 days worth.
(b) 10 days worth.
(c) 20 days worth.
(d) 3 days worth.
2. How did Carthaginians in the military rise in rank?
(a) Using wealth and prestige.
(b) Using their skills.
(c) During games.
(d) By being elected by soldiers.
3. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
(a) Write a book about the Gauls.
(b) Write a book about Rome.
(c) Write a book about Hannibal.
(d) Write a book about the Celts.
4. What were gladiators originally meant for?
(a) Close combat training.
(b) As a way to kill Christians.
(d) As a way to settle disputes.
5. What was the tablet Polybius studied made of?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
2. Why did Hannibal choose to fight with the wind in his back?
3. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
4. How many Roman ships were destroyed by a storm according to Polybius?
5. How long did those who serve in the cavalry have to enlist for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Aristotle say about the Carthaginian government?
2. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
3. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
4. Who was Titius Livius?
5. What thrived in Carthage?
6. What question does the author address about the Battle at Cannae?
7. What were the three assembled bodies?
8. What was Carthage's reputation?
9. What gave Polybius access to research material?
10. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)