|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the military tribune do to the Roman soldiers for the first time in history?
(a) Swore an oath of allegiance.
(b) Order them to retreat.
(c) Give them money to fight.
(d) Promise them freedom.
2. What did the Romans do after something failed?
(a) They assessed the situation and learned from it.
(b) They tried the same thing again.
(c) They wrote it down for future generations.
(d) They tried something else.
3. Why did Rome decide to destroy Carthage?
(a) Their literature threatened Rome.
(b) Their wealth threatened Rome.
(c) Their technology threatened Rome.
(d) Their military threatened Rome.
4. How many Romans died at Cannae?
5. When was Carthage settled?
(a) 614 B.C.
(b) 914 B.C.
(c) 714 B.C.
(d) 814 B.C.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the battle of Cannae take place?
2. When was Polybius brought to Rome?
3. Who settled Carthage?
4. What does Robert O'Connell describe the Punic War to?
5. What did Carthage focus on?
Short Essay Questions
1. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
2. What did the author compare the Punic War to?
3. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
4. What biases came through in Polybius' writings?
5. Who was Titius Livius?
6. What did the Roman soldiers likely have difficulty with at Cannae?
7. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
8. What thrived in Carthage?
9. What was Carthage's reputation?
10. What question does the author address about the Battle at Cannae?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)