|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
(a) Keep the Celts under control.
(b) Keep the Greeks under control.
(c) Keep the Carthagenians under control.
(d) Keep the Gauls under control.
2. What differentiated Romans and Greeks as far as religion?
(a) Romans did not make human sacrifice.
(b) Romans had better name for their gods.
(c) Romans were more pious.
(d) Romans were praying during battle.
3. What did the military tribune do to the Roman soldiers for the first time in history?
(a) Order them to retreat.
(b) Give them money to fight.
(c) Swore an oath of allegiance.
(d) Promise them freedom.
4. How did Carthage deal with failure?
(a) By using crucifiction.
(b) By demoting officer to soldier.
(c) By imposing fines.
(d) By banishing people.
5. What did ancient historians believe strongly in?
(a) Their emperor.
(b) Their libraries.
(c) Their war.
(d) Their writing skills.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was Publius Cornelius Scipio also known?
2. How did Carthage usually deal with military problems that arose?
3. How many Roman ships were destroyed by a storm according to Polybius?
4. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
5. Who was Scipio Aemilianus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Philip and what did he do?
2. What was the one fact about Hannibal that went without dispute?
3. What did Hannibal begin doing?
4. What did Hannibal have the occasion to do twice?
5. Why did some Romans defect?
6. What were Hannibal's men and animals suffering from?
7. What did Hannibal's army do during the winter according to Livy?
8. Who set up a trap for Hannibal and his men?
9. What reputation did Hannibal have among historians according to Chapter 4?
10. What were the three assembled bodies?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)