|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long did those who serve in the military have to enlist for in periods of great danger?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 25 years.
(c) 30 years.
(d) 15 years.
2. Why did ancient historians make their work entertaining and dramatic?
(a) To children could read it.
(b) To be used a a recruiting tool.
(c) So it could be shared with illiterates.
(d) So it was interesting for school children.
3. Why did Roman soldiers drown in the river during the battle of Cannae?
(a) The stream was too powerful.
(b) They feared water.
(c) Their armor was too heavy.
(d) They never learned to swim.
4. What was the area where Rome was not contradicting itself?
5. How many Romans died at Cannae?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Polybius brought to Rome?
2. How many books did Titus Livius write?
3. Where were the survivors of the Battle of Cannae banished to?
4. What was the first sign of an invasion at Cannae according to Chapter 2?
5. Why did Rome decide to destroy Carthage?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did some rise in military ranks?
2. How was Hannibal prepared for battle according to Chapter 3?
3. How did religion come into play?
4. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
5. What biases came through in Polybius' writings?
6. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
7. What gave Polybius access to research material?
8. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
9. What were the three assembled bodies?
10. What did military tribunes do for the first time in history according to Chapter 2?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)