|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are historians incapable of pinpointing the site of the battle of Cannae?
(a) The river dried out.
(b) No location indications are given in the texts.
(c) Rivers and construction efforts changed the landscape.
(d) Maps of the area were lost.
2. When was Hannibal in Carthage last?
(a) When he was 15.
(b) When he was 5.
(c) When he was 9.
(d) When he was 19.
3. What did the military tribune do to the Roman soldiers for the first time in history?
(a) Promise them freedom.
(b) Swore an oath of allegiance.
(c) Give them money to fight.
(d) Order them to retreat.
4. How long after the battle did the survivors of the battle live by their oath?
(a) 30 years.
(b) 15 years.
(c) 35 years.
(d) 20 years.
5. What differentiated Romans and Greeks as far as religion?
(a) Romans were praying during battle.
(b) Romans did not make human sacrifice.
(c) Romans had better name for their gods.
(d) Romans were more pious.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Polybius of Megalopolis' goal?
2. What did ancient historians believe strongly in?
3. Why was Hannibal's plan so risky?
4. How did Polybius travel the Alps?
5. Where were the survivors of the Battle of Cannae banished to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Romans discover they needed to learn?
2. How was Hannibal prepared for battle according to Chapter 3?
3. What thrived in Carthage?
4. What were the three assembled bodies?
5. How did some rise in military ranks?
6. What were young men trained to do even before entering the military?
7. What biases came through in Polybius' writings?
8. What important survivor remained after the Battle at Cannae according to Chapter 1?
9. What gave Polybius access to research material?
10. Why did O'Connell address the history of gladiators?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)