|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was even more difficult to do than going up icy slopes?
(a) Feeding horses.
(b) Taming elephants.
(c) Going down icy slopes.
(d) Going down rocky slopes.
2. When did some aggressive Celts attack Hannibal?
(a) Mid October.
(b) Mid Movember.
(c) Mid September.
(d) Mid December.
3. What choice did Hannibal tell his men was better that slavery?
(b) Death or conquest.
(d) Bribbing oneself out of prison.
4. What great military leader did Hannibal admire and study?
(b) Genghis Khan.
(c) The Chinese emperor.
(d) Alexander the Great.
5. What reputation did Hannibal have, according to some historians?
(a) A clever man.
(b) A good man.
(c) A monster.
(d) A butcher.
6. What do some historians call the Second Punic War according to " The Fox and the Hedge-Hog"?
(a) The longest war of Italy.
(b) The last good war of Rome.
(c) The first world war of history.
(d) The first African war.
7. How many legionaries died during the Battle of Cannae?
8. What neighbor did Rome have trouble with?
(a) The Gauls.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Venetians.
(d) The Celts.
9. How did the Romans signal their incoming battle?
(a) The horses were prepared.
(b) Horns were blowing.
(c) The solders were chanting.
(d) A tunic flew above Varro's tent.
10. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
(a) He paid them.
(b) He attacked a Gaul tribe, killed the men and boys and raped the women.
(c) He faked a Roman attack.
(d) He killed their leader and took his place.
11. Where were the Romans not victorious during the Second Punic War?
(a) In Italy.
(b) In Gaul.
(c) In Spain.
(d) In Africa.
12. When did snow close the passes in the Alps?
(a) Mid September.
(b) Mid October.
(c) Mid November.
(d) Mid December.
13. What question about Hannibal's travel is still unanswered?
(a) If Hannibal's family followed him.
(b) Where he crossed the Alps.
(c) What clothes his army was wearing.
(d) How he fed elephants.
14. How many soldiers were taken prisoner by Hannibal during the Battle of Cannae?
15. Who set traps for Hannibal's army?
(a) The Celts.
(b) The Gauls.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Moors.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
2. What did he tell the slaves the winner of the fight to the death would earn?
3. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
4. Why were the Roman soldiers reluctant to destroy crops?
5. How did Hannibal learn what he knew about the Roman army?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)