|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was established in Hannibal's army during the trip to Italy?
(a) 5 small cities.
(b) An inner group of advisors.
(c) A rigid chain of command.
(d) A training program.
2. What did Africanus do to protect his father?
(a) Round up soldiers.
(b) Round up women.
(c) Round up horsemen.
(d) Round up spearmen.
3. What question about Hannibal's travel is still unanswered?
(a) How he fed elephants.
(b) Where he crossed the Alps.
(c) What clothes his army was wearing.
(d) If Hannibal's family followed him.
4. What is unsure about Fabius and Minucius' armies?
(a) If one would be in reserve.
(b) If they fight as one or separately.
(c) If they would fight against each other.
(d) If they would fight one after the other.
5. What do historians agree on about Hannibal's troops?
(a) They were turning against themselves.
(b) They were hungry.
(c) They were tired.
(d) They were weak.
6. Why did Roman horsemen dismount during the battle?
(a) They wanted to fight dismounted.
(b) Their general was injured.
(c) They were ordred to do so to avoid going to much ahead of the ground force.
(d) They switch side.
7. Who did Hannibal trick by letting him see his troops and attacking later on?
8. Who set traps for Hannibal's army?
(a) The Celts.
(b) The Gauls.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Moors.
9. How old was Africanus during his first battle against Hannibal?
10. What did Hannibal do that contradicted his reputation?
(a) He never killed a prisoner.
(b) He did not eat meat.
(c) He buried his dead enemies.
(d) He didn't know how to read.
11. How old was Publius Cornelius Scipio during the Battle of Cannae?
12. When did Hannibal leave for Italy?
(a) April or May.
(b) July or August.
(c) June or July.
(d) May or June.
13. Why were the Roman soldiers reluctant to destroy crops?
(a) They were farmers.
(b) The farmers were paying for their protection.
(c) Nothing would be able to grow back for a full seaon.
(d) They needed the food.
14. What was Hannibal's army formation like?
(a) A backward letter "C".
(b) A backward letter "L".
(c) A backward letter "B".
(d) A backward letter "P".
15. Why were some of the Roman soldiers left behind?
(a) To protect the camp.
(b) To write down the account of glorious battle after the battle.
(c) To protect their retreat should they need it.
(d) As a reserve.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hannibal count on to toughen and train his troops?
2. What captive did Hannibal use to teach his troops a lesson?
3. How many soldiers were taken prisoner by Hannibal during the Battle of Cannae?
4. How did Hannibal differ from other Carthaginians according to "Hannibal's Way"?
5. When did some aggressive Celts attack Hannibal?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)