|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did he tell the slaves the winner of the fight to the death would earn?
(a) The honor to fight for Hannibal.
(b) A quick death.
(d) Freedom, arms and a fast horse.
2. What reputation did Hannibal have, according to some historians?
(a) A butcher.
(b) A good man.
(c) A clever man.
(d) A monster.
3. When did snow close the passes in the Alps?
(a) Mid December.
(b) Mid October.
(c) Mid November.
(d) Mid September.
4. When did Hannibal leave for Italy?
(a) July or August.
(b) May or June.
(c) April or May.
(d) June or July.
5. What do historians agree on about Hannibal's troops?
(a) They were turning against themselves.
(b) They were weak.
(c) They were hungry.
(d) They were tired.
6. Where did the tide of the war start to turn for the Roman according to "Cannae"?
7. What did Hannibal count on to toughen and train his troops?
(a) The tough terrain on the way to Italy.
(b) Battling small tribes on the way to Italy.
(c) Games during the trip to Italy.
(d) A severe training program.
8. What do some historians call the Second Punic War according to " The Fox and the Hedge-Hog"?
(a) The last good war of Rome.
(b) The first world war of history.
(c) The longest war of Italy.
(d) The first African war.
9. What did Hannibal lose while avoiding the Roman army?
(a) A leg.
(b) A finger.
(c) An arm.
(d) Sight in one eye.
10. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
(a) One for every 4 foot soldiers.
(b) One for every 15 foot soldiers.
(c) One for every 13 foot soldiers.
(d) One for every 12 foot soldiers.
11. What was Hannibal willing to take?
12. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
(a) He attacked a Gaul tribe, killed the men and boys and raped the women.
(b) He paid them.
(c) He faked a Roman attack.
(d) He killed their leader and took his place.
13. What was Hannibal's army formation like?
(a) A backward letter "P".
(b) A backward letter "L".
(c) A backward letter "B".
(d) A backward letter "C".
14. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
15. How many soldiers survived with Varro?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Battle at Cannae have to come quickly?
2. What did Hannibal encourage his soldiers to do?
3. When were the soldiers that survived Cannae allowed to return from exile?
4. How many legionaries died during the Battle of Cannae?
5. What did Africanus do to protect his father?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)