|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was established in Hannibal's army during the trip to Italy?
(a) A training program.
(b) An inner group of advisors.
(c) 5 small cities.
(d) A rigid chain of command.
2. How did Hannibal avoid Publius Scipio's army?
(a) By fleeing at night.
(b) By hiding in a tree.
(c) By going through marshes.
(d) By marching faster than Publius did.
3. What does the author say is speculation?
(a) That Hannibal used slaves as spies.
(b) Hannibal took no prisonners.
(c) Hannibal was not the military genius, his brother was.
(d) Hnannibal was a copy cat.
4. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
(a) One for every 4 foot soldiers.
(b) One for every 13 foot soldiers.
(c) One for every 15 foot soldiers.
(d) One for every 12 foot soldiers.
5. Where did Hannibal put together his army?
(a) From Africa.
(b) From Gaul.
(c) From Gaul to Italy.
(d) From Spain to Africa.
6. When did the tide of the war start to turn for the Romans according to "Cannae"?
(a) 206 B.C.
(b) 216 B.C.
(c) 236 B.C.
(d) 226 B.C.
7. Who set traps for Hannibal's army?
(a) The Moors.
(b) The Gauls.
(c) The Romans.
(d) The Celts.
8. What do historians agree on about Hannibal's troops?
(a) They were weak.
(b) They were tired.
(c) They were turning against themselves.
(d) They were hungry.
9. How did the Romans signal their incoming battle?
(a) The horses were prepared.
(b) Horns were blowing.
(c) A tunic flew above Varro's tent.
(d) The solders were chanting.
10. What choice did Hannibal tell his men was better that slavery?
(a) Bribbing oneself out of prison.
(c) Death or conquest.
11. Where were the Romans not victorious during the Second Punic War?
(a) In Italy.
(b) In Spain.
(c) In Gaul.
(d) In Africa.
12. What captive did Hannibal use to teach his troops a lesson?
(a) Gaullus II.
(b) Marcus Aurelius.
(c) Allobroge .
13. What do some historians call the Second Punic War according to " The Fox and the Hedge-Hog"?
(a) The first world war of history.
(b) The longest war of Italy.
(c) The first African war.
(d) The last good war of Rome.
14. How did Hannibal learn what he knew about the Roman army?
(a) Nobody knows.
(b) By capturing Romans.
(c) By studying previous engagements.
(d) Reading Roman publications.
15. When did Hannibal leave for Italy?
(a) May or June.
(b) April or May.
(c) July or August.
(d) June or July.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Africanus do to protect his father?
2. How many legionaries died during the Battle of Cannae?
3. When did the Romans try to annihilate the neighbors they had trouble with?
4. How did Hannibal differ from other Carthaginians according to "Hannibal's Way"?
5. What was even more difficult to do than going up icy slopes?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)