|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did the tide of the war start to turn for the Roman according to "Cannae"?
2. When were the soldiers that survived Cannae allowed to return from exile?
3. How old was Publius Cornelius Scipio during the Battle of Cannae?
4. When did some aggressive Celts attack Hannibal?
(a) Mid September.
(b) Mid December.
(c) Mid Movember.
(d) Mid October.
5. What was the Roman tradition when two armies came to fight together?
(a) The oldest commander took over.
(b) Each commander was commanding every other day.
(c) The commander with the most experience took over.
(d) The youngest commander took over.
6. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
(a) He killed their leader and took his place.
(b) He attacked a Gaul tribe, killed the men and boys and raped the women.
(c) He faked a Roman attack.
(d) He paid them.
7. When did the Romans try to annihilate the neighbors they had trouble with?
(a) 232 B.C.
(b) 212 B.C.
(c) 202 B.C.
(d) 222 B.C.
8. Who did Hannibal trick by letting him see his troops and attacking later on?
9. What was established in Hannibal's army during the trip to Italy?
(a) An inner group of advisors.
(b) 5 small cities.
(c) A training program.
(d) A rigid chain of command.
10. What did Hannibal lose while avoiding the Roman army?
(a) A leg.
(b) Sight in one eye.
(c) A finger.
(d) An arm.
11. What does the author say is speculation?
(a) That Hannibal used slaves as spies.
(b) Hnannibal was a copy cat.
(c) Hannibal was not the military genius, his brother was.
(d) Hannibal took no prisonners.
12. What was Hannibal the first to do in the Alps?
(a) Cross it with an organized army.
(b) Raise an army.
(c) Survive winter.
(d) Climb above 8000 feet.
13. How many times did Hannibal marry?
(a) Three times.
(d) Four times.
14. Where were the Romans not victorious during the Second Punic War?
(a) In Italy.
(b) In Spain.
(c) In Africa.
(d) In Gaul.
15. When did Hannibal leave for Italy?
(a) July or August.
(b) April or May.
(c) June or July.
(d) May or June.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hannibal learn what he knew about the Roman army?
2. What choice did Hannibal tell his men was better that slavery?
3. How many legionaries died during the Battle of Cannae?
4. What was even more difficult to do than going up icy slopes?
5. What reputation did Hannibal have, according to some historians?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)