|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hannibal learn what he knew about the Roman army?
(a) By capturing Romans.
(b) Reading Roman publications.
(c) By studying previous engagements.
(d) Nobody knows.
2. What was Hannibal's army formation like?
(a) A backward letter "B".
(b) A backward letter "C".
(c) A backward letter "P".
(d) A backward letter "L".
3. How did the Romans signal their incoming battle?
(a) Horns were blowing.
(b) The solders were chanting.
(c) The horses were prepared.
(d) A tunic flew above Varro's tent.
4. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
(a) One for every 13 foot soldiers.
(b) One for every 4 foot soldiers.
(c) One for every 15 foot soldiers.
(d) One for every 12 foot soldiers.
5. What did he tell the slaves the winner of the fight to the death would earn?
(a) The honor to fight for Hannibal.
(c) Freedom, arms and a fast horse.
(d) A quick death.
6. How many horsemen did the Roman Army have?
(a) Two every 20 foot soldiers.
(b) Two every 10 foot soldiers.
(c) Two every 13 foot soldiers.
(d) Two every 5 foot soldiers.
7. What captive did Hannibal use to teach his troops a lesson?
(a) Allobroge .
(c) Marcus Aurelius.
(d) Gaullus II.
8. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
(a) He killed their leader and took his place.
(b) He faked a Roman attack.
(c) He paid them.
(d) He attacked a Gaul tribe, killed the men and boys and raped the women.
9. What did Hannibal lose while avoiding the Roman army?
(a) A leg.
(b) Sight in one eye.
(c) A finger.
(d) An arm.
10. Why did Roman horsemen dismount during the battle?
(a) They switch side.
(b) Their general was injured.
(c) They were ordred to do so to avoid going to much ahead of the ground force.
(d) They wanted to fight dismounted.
11. What was established in Hannibal's army during the trip to Italy?
(a) An inner group of advisors.
(b) A rigid chain of command.
(c) A training program.
(d) 5 small cities.
12. What is unsure about Fabius and Minucius' armies?
(a) If they fight as one or separately.
(b) If they would fight against each other.
(c) If they would fight one after the other.
(d) If one would be in reserve.
13. What did Africanus do to protect his father?
(a) Round up spearmen.
(b) Round up women.
(c) Round up soldiers.
(d) Round up horsemen.
14. How many times did Hannibal marry?
(c) Four times.
(d) Three times.
15. What do historians agree on about Hannibal's troops?
(a) They were turning against themselves.
(b) They were tired.
(c) They were hungry.
(d) They were weak.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Romans try to annihilate the neighbors they had trouble with?
2. How old was Publius Cornelius Scipio during the Battle of Cannae?
3. When did Hannibal leave for Italy?
4. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
5. When did snow close the passes in the Alps?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)