|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
(a) He faked a Roman attack.
(b) He killed their leader and took his place.
(c) He attacked a Gaul tribe, killed the men and boys and raped the women.
(d) He paid them.
2. Where did the tide of the war start to turn for the Roman according to "Cannae"?
3. How many times did Hannibal marry?
(c) Four times.
(d) Three times.
4. What question about Hannibal's travel is still unanswered?
(a) Where he crossed the Alps.
(b) If Hannibal's family followed him.
(c) How he fed elephants.
(d) What clothes his army was wearing.
5. What hindered Hannibal's army in previous battles against the Romans?
(a) Their slow elephant.
(b) The dampness of the ground.
(c) The heat.
(d) The cold.
6. What do some historians call the Second Punic War according to " The Fox and the Hedge-Hog"?
(a) The last good war of Rome.
(b) The first world war of history.
(c) The longest war of Italy.
(d) The first African war.
7. Who did Hannibal trick by letting him see his troops and attacking later on?
8. What followed the pinning of the center of an army in Hannibal's tactics?
(a) A double envelopment.
(b) An envelopment .
(c) An attack from the side.
(d) An attack from behind.
9. Why did Roman horsemen dismount during the battle?
(a) Their general was injured.
(b) They were ordred to do so to avoid going to much ahead of the ground force.
(c) They switch side.
(d) They wanted to fight dismounted.
10. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
11. Where were the Romans not victorious during the Second Punic War?
(a) In Africa.
(b) In Italy.
(c) In Spain.
(d) In Gaul.
12. How many cavalrymen died during the Battle of Cannae?
13. When did Hannibal leave for Italy?
(a) June or July.
(b) April or May.
(c) May or June.
(d) July or August.
14. What does the author say is speculation?
(a) Hannibal was not the military genius, his brother was.
(b) Hannibal took no prisonners.
(c) That Hannibal used slaves as spies.
(d) Hnannibal was a copy cat.
15. What was Fabius doing while burning structures and supplies?
(a) Asked for more and more reinforcement.
(b) Avoided confronting Hannibal.
(c) Tried to crush Hannibal.
(d) Detaching a small unit to arrest Hannibal.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the tide of the war start to turn for the Romans according to "Cannae"?
2. When did snow close the passes in the Alps?
3. What did Fabius Maximus figure out about Hannibal?
4. When did the Romans try to annihilate the neighbors they had trouble with?
5. What neighbor did Rome have trouble with?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)