|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Hannibal leave for Italy?
(a) July or August.
(b) May or June.
(c) April or May.
(d) June or July.
2. How many horsemen did the Roman Army have?
(a) Two every 10 foot soldiers.
(b) Two every 13 foot soldiers.
(c) Two every 5 foot soldiers.
(d) Two every 20 foot soldiers.
3. What did Hannibal know about the Roman army?
(a) Their strength and weaknesses.
(b) Their equipment.
(c) Their weakest men.
(d) Their commanders.
4. Why did the Battle at Cannae have to come quickly?
(a) Both sides were eager.
(b) Both sides were low on food.
(c) Both side wanted to crush the other.
(d) Both side were tired.
5. What great military leader did Hannibal admire and study?
(a) Genghis Khan.
(b) The Chinese emperor.
(c) Alexander the Great.
6. How were the Romans able to defeat Carthage?
(a) By learning to fight like Greeks.
(b) By learning to fight like Hannibal.
(c) By ignoring what their training told them.
(d) By amassing a larger army.
7. What did Hannibal's troops find in Cannae that helped them?
(a) Grain storage and supply dump.
(c) A weaponsmith.
8. What did Hannibal encourage his soldiers to do?
(a) Be without mercy.
(c) Take slaves.
9. When did snow close the passes in the Alps?
(a) Mid December.
(b) Mid September.
(c) Mid October.
(d) Mid November.
10. How many cavalrymen died during the Battle of Cannae?
11. What did Fabius Maximus figure out about Hannibal?
(a) That his defeat didn't lie on the battlefield.
(b) That his brothers were the weak link.
(c) That his army was invincible.
(d) That he would probably be defeated.
12. Why were some of the Roman soldiers left behind?
(a) To protect the camp.
(b) As a reserve.
(c) To write down the account of glorious battle after the battle.
(d) To protect their retreat should they need it.
13. What did Africanus do to protect his father?
(a) Round up spearmen.
(b) Round up horsemen.
(c) Round up soldiers.
(d) Round up women.
14. How many legionaries died during the Battle of Cannae?
15. How old was Publius Cornelius Scipio during the Battle of Cannae?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Hannibal put together his army?
2. What was Hannibal the first to do in the Alps?
3. How did the Romans signal their incoming battle?
4. What was Hannibal's army formation like?
5. What hindered Hannibal's army in previous battles against the Romans?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)