|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hindered Hannibal's army in previous battles against the Romans?
(a) The dampness of the ground.
(b) Their slow elephant.
(c) The cold.
(d) The heat.
2. What reputation did Hannibal have, according to some historians?
(a) A butcher.
(b) A monster.
(c) A clever man.
(d) A good man.
3. Where were the Romans not victorious during the Second Punic War?
(a) In Africa.
(b) In Spain.
(c) In Italy.
(d) In Gaul.
4. When did the Romans try to annihilate the neighbors they had trouble with?
(a) 212 B.C.
(b) 232 B.C.
(c) 202 B.C.
(d) 222 B.C.
5. What did Hannibal count on to toughen and train his troops?
(a) Games during the trip to Italy.
(b) Battling small tribes on the way to Italy.
(c) The tough terrain on the way to Italy.
(d) A severe training program.
6. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
(a) He faked a Roman attack.
(b) He attacked a Gaul tribe, killed the men and boys and raped the women.
(c) He paid them.
(d) He killed their leader and took his place.
7. What did Hannibal lose while avoiding the Roman army?
(a) A finger.
(b) A leg.
(c) Sight in one eye.
(d) An arm.
8. What did he tell the slaves the winner of the fight to the death would earn?
(b) A quick death.
(c) Freedom, arms and a fast horse.
(d) The honor to fight for Hannibal.
9. How did Hannibal avoid Publius Scipio's army?
(a) By hiding in a tree.
(b) By going through marshes.
(c) By marching faster than Publius did.
(d) By fleeing at night.
10. What choice did Hannibal tell his men was better that slavery?
(b) Death or conquest.
(c) Bribbing oneself out of prison.
11. What did Hannibal know about the Roman army?
(a) Their commanders.
(b) Their equipment.
(c) Their strength and weaknesses.
(d) Their weakest men.
12. Why were the Roman soldiers reluctant to destroy crops?
(a) They were farmers.
(b) The farmers were paying for their protection.
(c) They needed the food.
(d) Nothing would be able to grow back for a full seaon.
13. How old was Africanus during his first battle against Hannibal?
14. What did Hannibal do that contradicted his reputation?
(a) He did not eat meat.
(b) He didn't know how to read.
(c) He buried his dead enemies.
(d) He never killed a prisoner.
15. How old was Publius Cornelius Scipio during the Battle of Cannae?
Short Answer Questions
1. What question about Hannibal's travel is still unanswered?
2. How did Hannibal differ from other Carthaginians according to "Hannibal's Way"?
3. What did Hannibal encourage his soldiers to do?
4. When did some aggressive Celts attack Hannibal?
5. What great military leader did Hannibal admire and study?
This section contains 466 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)