|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did Hannibal leave for Italy?
(a) June or July.
(b) April or May.
(c) July or August.
(d) May or June.
2. Who set traps for Hannibal's army?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Gauls.
(c) The Moors.
(d) The Celts.
3. Why were some of the Roman soldiers left behind?
(a) To write down the account of glorious battle after the battle.
(b) As a reserve.
(c) To protect their retreat should they need it.
(d) To protect the camp.
4. What did Hannibal lose while avoiding the Roman army?
(a) Sight in one eye.
(b) A leg.
(c) An arm.
(d) A finger.
5. What did Hannibal's troops find in Cannae that helped them?
(b) A weaponsmith.
(c) Grain storage and supply dump.
6. What was Hannibal's army formation like?
(a) A backward letter "B".
(b) A backward letter "C".
(c) A backward letter "P".
(d) A backward letter "L".
7. Where did Hannibal put together his army?
(a) From Africa.
(b) From Gaul.
(c) From Gaul to Italy.
(d) From Spain to Africa.
8. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
9. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
(a) One for every 15 foot soldiers.
(b) One for every 4 foot soldiers.
(c) One for every 13 foot soldiers.
(d) One for every 12 foot soldiers.
10. What did Hannibal know about the Roman army?
(a) Their commanders.
(b) Their strength and weaknesses.
(c) Their equipment.
(d) Their weakest men.
11. What neighbor did Rome have trouble with?
(a) The Gauls.
(b) The Venetians.
(c) The Greeks.
(d) The Celts.
12. What was the Roman tradition when two armies came to fight together?
(a) The oldest commander took over.
(b) The youngest commander took over.
(c) The commander with the most experience took over.
(d) Each commander was commanding every other day.
13. How many soldiers were taken prisoner by Hannibal during the Battle of Cannae?
14. How many horsemen did the Roman Army have?
(a) Two every 10 foot soldiers.
(b) Two every 20 foot soldiers.
(c) Two every 5 foot soldiers.
(d) Two every 13 foot soldiers.
15. What was even more difficult to do than going up icy slopes?
(a) Feeding horses.
(b) Taming elephants.
(c) Going down rocky slopes.
(d) Going down icy slopes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many cavalrymen died during the Battle of Cannae?
2. What was established in Hannibal's army during the trip to Italy?
3. When did the Romans try to annihilate the neighbors they had trouble with?
4. Where were the Romans not victorious during the Second Punic War?
5. What followed the pinning of the center of an army in Hannibal's tactics?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)