|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hannibal differ from other Carthaginians according to "Hannibal's Way"?
(a) He was the son of a peasant.
(b) He was not rich.
(c) He was not very religious.
(d) He was of Roman descent.
2. When did some aggressive Celts attack Hannibal?
(a) Mid October.
(b) Mid September.
(c) Mid December.
(d) Mid Movember.
3. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
4. What was even more difficult to do than going up icy slopes?
(a) Going down icy slopes.
(b) Feeding horses.
(c) Going down rocky slopes.
(d) Taming elephants.
5. When did snow close the passes in the Alps?
(a) Mid September.
(b) Mid November.
(c) Mid October.
(d) Mid December.
6. How were the Romans able to defeat Carthage?
(a) By learning to fight like Greeks.
(b) By amassing a larger army.
(c) By ignoring what their training told them.
(d) By learning to fight like Hannibal.
7. What hindered Hannibal's army in previous battles against the Romans?
(a) The heat.
(b) The dampness of the ground.
(c) Their slow elephant.
(d) The cold.
8. How did Hannibal learn what he knew about the Roman army?
(a) Nobody knows.
(b) Reading Roman publications.
(c) By studying previous engagements.
(d) By capturing Romans.
9. What do historians agree on about Hannibal's troops?
(a) They were turning against themselves.
(b) They were hungry.
(c) They were weak.
(d) They were tired.
10. How many cavalrymen died during the Battle of Cannae?
11. What captive did Hannibal use to teach his troops a lesson?
(a) Gaullus II.
(b) Allobroge .
(d) Marcus Aurelius.
12. When did the tide of the war start to turn for the Romans according to "Cannae"?
(a) 206 B.C.
(b) 226 B.C.
(c) 236 B.C.
(d) 216 B.C.
13. Where did Hannibal put together his army?
(a) From Gaul.
(b) From Africa.
(c) From Gaul to Italy.
(d) From Spain to Africa.
14. What did Fabius Maximus figure out about Hannibal?
(a) That his army was invincible.
(b) That he would probably be defeated.
(c) That his brothers were the weak link.
(d) That his defeat didn't lie on the battlefield.
15. How did Hannibal avoid Publius Scipio's army?
(a) By marching faster than Publius did.
(b) By going through marshes.
(c) By hiding in a tree.
(d) By fleeing at night.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
2. How many horsemen did the Roman Army have?
3. Why were the Roman soldiers reluctant to destroy crops?
4. What neighbor did Rome have trouble with?
5. What question about Hannibal's travel is still unanswered?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)