|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
(a) One for every 4 foot soldiers.
(b) One for every 13 foot soldiers.
(c) One for every 12 foot soldiers.
(d) One for every 15 foot soldiers.
2. Why did Roman horsemen dismount during the battle?
(a) Their general was injured.
(b) They were ordred to do so to avoid going to much ahead of the ground force.
(c) They wanted to fight dismounted.
(d) They switch side.
3. What was established in Hannibal's army during the trip to Italy?
(a) A training program.
(b) A rigid chain of command.
(c) 5 small cities.
(d) An inner group of advisors.
4. How many legionaries died during the Battle of Cannae?
5. What captive did Hannibal use to teach his troops a lesson?
(a) Allobroge .
(b) Gaullus II.
(d) Marcus Aurelius.
6. When did snow close the passes in the Alps?
(a) Mid September.
(b) Mid October.
(c) Mid November.
(d) Mid December.
7. When did the Romans try to annihilate the neighbors they had trouble with?
(a) 212 B.C.
(b) 232 B.C.
(c) 222 B.C.
(d) 202 B.C.
8. How many horsemen did the Roman Army have?
(a) Two every 20 foot soldiers.
(b) Two every 13 foot soldiers.
(c) Two every 5 foot soldiers.
(d) Two every 10 foot soldiers.
9. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
10. Why were some of the Roman soldiers left behind?
(a) To protect the camp.
(b) To write down the account of glorious battle after the battle.
(c) To protect their retreat should they need it.
(d) As a reserve.
11. When did the tide of the war start to turn for the Romans according to "Cannae"?
(a) 216 B.C.
(b) 206 B.C.
(c) 226 B.C.
(d) 236 B.C.
12. Why were the Roman soldiers reluctant to destroy crops?
(a) They were farmers.
(b) They needed the food.
(c) The farmers were paying for their protection.
(d) Nothing would be able to grow back for a full seaon.
13. What is unsure about Fabius and Minucius' armies?
(a) If they fight as one or separately.
(b) If they would fight against each other.
(c) If they would fight one after the other.
(d) If one would be in reserve.
14. What was Hannibal's army formation like?
(a) A backward letter "B".
(b) A backward letter "L".
(c) A backward letter "C".
(d) A backward letter "P".
15. How did the Romans signal their incoming battle?
(a) A tunic flew above Varro's tent.
(b) Horns were blowing.
(c) The horses were prepared.
(d) The solders were chanting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Hannibal willing to take?
2. What did Hannibal do that contradicted his reputation?
3. What question about Hannibal's travel is still unanswered?
4. What neighbor did Rome have trouble with?
5. How old was Africanus during his first battle against Hannibal?
This section contains 456 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)