|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Hannibal want his troops to do to destabilize the Roman army?
(a) Force them out during a torrential rain.
(b) Force them out at night.
(c) Force them out as it was sunny.
(d) Force them out before breakfast.
2. What did Hannibal count on to toughen and train his troops?
(a) A severe training program.
(b) Games during the trip to Italy.
(c) Battling small tribes on the way to Italy.
(d) The tough terrain on the way to Italy.
3. What was Hannibal the first to do in the Alps?
(a) Cross it with an organized army.
(b) Raise an army.
(c) Survive winter.
(d) Climb above 8000 feet.
4. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
(a) He attacked a Gaul tribe, killed the men and boys and raped the women.
(b) He paid them.
(c) He faked a Roman attack.
(d) He killed their leader and took his place.
5. How were the Romans able to defeat Carthage?
(a) By ignoring what their training told them.
(b) By learning to fight like Hannibal.
(c) By learning to fight like Greeks.
(d) By amassing a larger army.
6. What did he tell the slaves the winner of the fight to the death would earn?
(a) The honor to fight for Hannibal.
(b) Freedom, arms and a fast horse.
(c) A quick death.
7. What was Fabius doing while burning structures and supplies?
(a) Detaching a small unit to arrest Hannibal.
(b) Asked for more and more reinforcement.
(c) Tried to crush Hannibal.
(d) Avoided confronting Hannibal.
8. How many cavalrymen died during the Battle of Cannae?
9. What great military leader did Hannibal admire and study?
(a) The Chinese emperor.
(b) Alexander the Great.
(d) Genghis Khan.
10. Where were the Romans not victorious during the Second Punic War?
(a) In Gaul.
(b) In Spain.
(c) In Africa.
(d) In Italy.
11. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
(a) One for every 4 foot soldiers.
(b) One for every 12 foot soldiers.
(c) One for every 15 foot soldiers.
(d) One for every 13 foot soldiers.
12. What was Hannibal willing to take?
13. What did Hannibal's troops find in Cannae that helped them?
(c) Grain storage and supply dump.
(d) A weaponsmith.
14. What hindered Hannibal's army in previous battles against the Romans?
(a) Their slow elephant.
(b) The dampness of the ground.
(c) The heat.
(d) The cold.
15. Where did the tide of the war start to turn for the Roman according to "Cannae"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Fabius Maximus figure out about Hannibal?
2. What followed the pinning of the center of an army in Hannibal's tactics?
3. What did Hannibal encourage his soldiers to do?
4. How many times did Hannibal marry?
5. Why did the Battle at Cannae have to come quickly?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)