|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
(a) He killed their leader and took his place.
(b) He attacked a Gaul tribe, killed the men and boys and raped the women.
(c) He faked a Roman attack.
(d) He paid them.
2. What did Hannibal want his troops to do to destabilize the Roman army?
(a) Force them out before breakfast.
(b) Force them out as it was sunny.
(c) Force them out during a torrential rain.
(d) Force them out at night.
3. What choice did Hannibal tell his men was better that slavery?
(a) Death or conquest.
(d) Bribbing oneself out of prison.
4. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
5. Why were the Roman soldiers reluctant to destroy crops?
(a) Nothing would be able to grow back for a full seaon.
(b) The farmers were paying for their protection.
(c) They were farmers.
(d) They needed the food.
6. Why did Roman horsemen dismount during the battle?
(a) They switch side.
(b) They wanted to fight dismounted.
(c) Their general was injured.
(d) They were ordred to do so to avoid going to much ahead of the ground force.
7. What followed the pinning of the center of an army in Hannibal's tactics?
(a) A double envelopment.
(b) An attack from the side.
(c) An envelopment .
(d) An attack from behind.
8. What neighbor did Rome have trouble with?
(a) The Gauls.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Celts.
(d) The Venetians.
9. What was Hannibal willing to take?
10. How many horsemen did the Roman Army have?
(a) Two every 10 foot soldiers.
(b) Two every 5 foot soldiers.
(c) Two every 20 foot soldiers.
(d) Two every 13 foot soldiers.
11. What was Fabius doing while burning structures and supplies?
(a) Detaching a small unit to arrest Hannibal.
(b) Tried to crush Hannibal.
(c) Avoided confronting Hannibal.
(d) Asked for more and more reinforcement.
12. How were the Romans able to defeat Carthage?
(a) By amassing a larger army.
(b) By learning to fight like Hannibal.
(c) By ignoring what their training told them.
(d) By learning to fight like Greeks.
13. How many soldiers were taken prisoner by Hannibal during the Battle of Cannae?
14. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
(a) One for every 13 foot soldiers.
(b) One for every 15 foot soldiers.
(c) One for every 12 foot soldiers.
(d) One for every 4 foot soldiers.
15. Who set traps for Hannibal's army?
(a) The Romans.
(b) The Gauls.
(c) The Celts.
(d) The Moors.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were some of the Roman soldiers left behind?
2. How many legionaries died during the Battle of Cannae?
3. Why did the Battle at Cannae have to come quickly?
4. How many soldiers survived with Varro?
5. How did Hannibal learn what he knew about the Roman army?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)