|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many cavalrymen died during the Battle of Cannae?
2. How were the Romans able to defeat Carthage?
(a) By ignoring what their training told them.
(b) By learning to fight like Greeks.
(c) By amassing a larger army.
(d) By learning to fight like Hannibal.
3. Why were the Roman soldiers reluctant to destroy crops?
(a) The farmers were paying for their protection.
(b) They needed the food.
(c) Nothing would be able to grow back for a full seaon.
(d) They were farmers.
4. What do historians agree on about Hannibal's troops?
(a) They were tired.
(b) They were weak.
(c) They were turning against themselves.
(d) They were hungry.
5. What did Hannibal encourage his soldiers to do?
(a) Take slaves.
(c) Be without mercy.
6. What was established in Hannibal's army during the trip to Italy?
(a) A rigid chain of command.
(b) An inner group of advisors.
(c) A training program.
(d) 5 small cities.
7. Why did Roman horsemen dismount during the battle?
(a) They were ordred to do so to avoid going to much ahead of the ground force.
(b) Their general was injured.
(c) They wanted to fight dismounted.
(d) They switch side.
8. What question about Hannibal's travel is still unanswered?
(a) How he fed elephants.
(b) If Hannibal's family followed him.
(c) What clothes his army was wearing.
(d) Where he crossed the Alps.
9. When did some aggressive Celts attack Hannibal?
(a) Mid Movember.
(b) Mid September.
(c) Mid October.
(d) Mid December.
10. How many soldiers survived with Varro?
11. Where did Hannibal put together his army?
(a) From Spain to Africa.
(b) From Gaul to Italy.
(c) From Africa.
(d) From Gaul.
12. What did Africanus do to protect his father?
(a) Round up soldiers.
(b) Round up horsemen.
(c) Round up women.
(d) Round up spearmen.
13. What great military leader did Hannibal admire and study?
(a) Alexander the Great.
(b) Genghis Khan.
(d) The Chinese emperor.
14. How many soldiers were taken prisoner by Hannibal during the Battle of Cannae?
15. What did Hannibal lose while avoiding the Roman army?
(a) A leg.
(b) Sight in one eye.
(c) A finger.
(d) An arm.
Short Answer Questions
1. What captive did Hannibal use to teach his troops a lesson?
2. What is unsure about Fabius and Minucius' armies?
3. What choice did Hannibal tell his men was better that slavery?
4. How many horsemen did the Roman Army have?
5. What was the Roman tradition when two armies came to fight together?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)