|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When did the Romans try to annihilate the neighbors they had trouble with?
(a) 212 B.C.
(b) 222 B.C.
(c) 232 B.C.
(d) 202 B.C.
2. Why were some of the Roman soldiers left behind?
(a) As a reserve.
(b) To write down the account of glorious battle after the battle.
(c) To protect the camp.
(d) To protect their retreat should they need it.
3. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
4. What did Fabius Maximus figure out about Hannibal?
(a) That he would probably be defeated.
(b) That his army was invincible.
(c) That his defeat didn't lie on the battlefield.
(d) That his brothers were the weak link.
5. Who did Hannibal trick by letting him see his troops and attacking later on?
6. When did the tide of the war start to turn for the Romans according to "Cannae"?
(a) 216 B.C.
(b) 236 B.C.
(c) 226 B.C.
(d) 206 B.C.
7. What is unsure about Fabius and Minucius' armies?
(a) If one would be in reserve.
(b) If they would fight against each other.
(c) If they would fight one after the other.
(d) If they fight as one or separately.
8. What do historians agree on about Hannibal's troops?
(a) They were weak.
(b) They were tired.
(c) They were hungry.
(d) They were turning against themselves.
9. How many legionaries died during the Battle of Cannae?
10. What was the Roman tradition when two armies came to fight together?
(a) Each commander was commanding every other day.
(b) The commander with the most experience took over.
(c) The oldest commander took over.
(d) The youngest commander took over.
11. How old was Publius Cornelius Scipio during the Battle of Cannae?
12. How did Hannibal avoid Publius Scipio's army?
(a) By going through marshes.
(b) By fleeing at night.
(c) By marching faster than Publius did.
(d) By hiding in a tree.
13. What did Hannibal's troops find in Cannae that helped them?
(a) Grain storage and supply dump.
(d) A weaponsmith.
14. How were the Romans able to defeat Carthage?
(a) By amassing a larger army.
(b) By ignoring what their training told them.
(c) By learning to fight like Greeks.
(d) By learning to fight like Hannibal.
15. When did Hannibal leave for Italy?
(a) June or July.
(b) July or August.
(c) May or June.
(d) April or May.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many horsemen did the Roman Army have?
2. How many soldiers survived with Varro?
3. What did Hannibal count on to toughen and train his troops?
4. What captive did Hannibal use to teach his troops a lesson?
5. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)