|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What captive did Hannibal use to teach his troops a lesson?
(b) Gaullus II.
(c) Allobroge .
(d) Marcus Aurelius.
2. What hindered Hannibal's army in previous battles against the Romans?
(a) The cold.
(b) The heat.
(c) Their slow elephant.
(d) The dampness of the ground.
3. What did Hannibal's troops find in Cannae that helped them?
(b) Grain storage and supply dump.
(d) A weaponsmith.
4. Why did Roman horsemen dismount during the battle?
(a) Their general was injured.
(b) They were ordred to do so to avoid going to much ahead of the ground force.
(c) They wanted to fight dismounted.
(d) They switch side.
5. What does the author say is speculation?
(a) Hannibal was not the military genius, his brother was.
(b) Hannibal took no prisonners.
(c) That Hannibal used slaves as spies.
(d) Hnannibal was a copy cat.
6. What reputation did Hannibal have, according to some historians?
(a) A monster.
(b) A butcher.
(c) A clever man.
(d) A good man.
7. How many cavalrymen died during the Battle of Cannae?
8. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
9. When did the tide of the war start to turn for the Romans according to "Cannae"?
(a) 216 B.C.
(b) 206 B.C.
(c) 236 B.C.
(d) 226 B.C.
10. What did he tell the slaves the winner of the fight to the death would earn?
(a) The honor to fight for Hannibal.
(c) A quick death.
(d) Freedom, arms and a fast horse.
11. What was Hannibal's army formation like?
(a) A backward letter "B".
(b) A backward letter "P".
(c) A backward letter "L".
(d) A backward letter "C".
12. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
(a) One for every 4 foot soldiers.
(b) One for every 15 foot soldiers.
(c) One for every 12 foot soldiers.
(d) One for every 13 foot soldiers.
13. What was even more difficult to do than going up icy slopes?
(a) Feeding horses.
(b) Going down rocky slopes.
(c) Going down icy slopes.
(d) Taming elephants.
14. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
(a) He killed their leader and took his place.
(b) He attacked a Gaul tribe, killed the men and boys and raped the women.
(c) He paid them.
(d) He faked a Roman attack.
15. What was established in Hannibal's army during the trip to Italy?
(a) An inner group of advisors.
(b) 5 small cities.
(c) A rigid chain of command.
(d) A training program.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many horsemen did the Roman Army have?
2. What did Hannibal know about the Roman army?
3. Who did Hannibal trick by letting him see his troops and attacking later on?
4. How did Hannibal differ from other Carthaginians according to "Hannibal's Way"?
5. What was the Roman tradition when two armies came to fight together?
This section contains 488 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)