|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reputation did Hannibal have, according to some historians?
(a) A good man.
(b) A butcher.
(c) A monster.
(d) A clever man.
2. When did the tide of the war start to turn for the Romans according to "Cannae"?
(a) 226 B.C.
(b) 236 B.C.
(c) 216 B.C.
(d) 206 B.C.
3. What was Fabius doing while burning structures and supplies?
(a) Avoided confronting Hannibal.
(b) Tried to crush Hannibal.
(c) Detaching a small unit to arrest Hannibal.
(d) Asked for more and more reinforcement.
4. What question about Hannibal's travel is still unanswered?
(a) If Hannibal's family followed him.
(b) Where he crossed the Alps.
(c) What clothes his army was wearing.
(d) How he fed elephants.
5. What does the author say is speculation?
(a) Hannibal took no prisonners.
(b) Hnannibal was a copy cat.
(c) Hannibal was not the military genius, his brother was.
(d) That Hannibal used slaves as spies.
6. Where did the tide of the war start to turn for the Roman according to "Cannae"?
7. Why were the Roman soldiers reluctant to destroy crops?
(a) They needed the food.
(b) Nothing would be able to grow back for a full seaon.
(c) They were farmers.
(d) The farmers were paying for their protection.
8. What did Hannibal lose while avoiding the Roman army?
(a) A finger.
(b) An arm.
(c) A leg.
(d) Sight in one eye.
9. How many times did Hannibal marry?
(a) Four times.
(d) Three times.
10. What neighbor did Rome have trouble with?
(a) The Celts.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Gauls.
(d) The Venetians.
11. What did Hannibal count on to toughen and train his troops?
(a) A severe training program.
(b) The tough terrain on the way to Italy.
(c) Battling small tribes on the way to Italy.
(d) Games during the trip to Italy.
12. How many horsemen did the Roman Army have?
(a) Two every 5 foot soldiers.
(b) Two every 13 foot soldiers.
(c) Two every 10 foot soldiers.
(d) Two every 20 foot soldiers.
13. How did the Romans signal their incoming battle?
(a) Horns were blowing.
(b) The horses were prepared.
(c) The solders were chanting.
(d) A tunic flew above Varro's tent.
14. How were the Romans able to defeat Carthage?
(a) By learning to fight like Greeks.
(b) By amassing a larger army.
(c) By learning to fight like Hannibal.
(d) By ignoring what their training told them.
15. How did Hannibal avoid Publius Scipio's army?
(a) By fleeing at night.
(b) By going through marshes.
(c) By marching faster than Publius did.
(d) By hiding in a tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What great military leader did Hannibal admire and study?
2. Why were some of the Roman soldiers left behind?
3. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
4. What did Hannibal encourage his soldiers to do?
5. What did Hannibal do that contradicted his reputation?
This section contains 483 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)