|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many soldiers survived with Varro?
2. What did Africanus do to protect his father?
(a) Round up horsemen.
(b) Round up soldiers.
(c) Round up women.
(d) Round up spearmen.
3. What did Hannibal's troops find in Cannae that helped them?
(b) A weaponsmith.
(c) Grain storage and supply dump.
4. What was Hannibal willing to take?
5. What is unsure about Fabius and Minucius' armies?
(a) If they fight as one or separately.
(b) If they would fight against each other.
(c) If they would fight one after the other.
(d) If one would be in reserve.
6. What did Hannibal count on to toughen and train his troops?
(a) The tough terrain on the way to Italy.
(b) Battling small tribes on the way to Italy.
(c) Games during the trip to Italy.
(d) A severe training program.
7. What followed the pinning of the center of an army in Hannibal's tactics?
(a) An attack from behind.
(b) An attack from the side.
(c) An envelopment .
(d) A double envelopment.
8. What neighbor did Rome have trouble with?
(a) The Venetians.
(b) The Greeks.
(c) The Celts.
(d) The Gauls.
9. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
(a) One for every 4 foot soldiers.
(b) One for every 15 foot soldiers.
(c) One for every 13 foot soldiers.
(d) One for every 12 foot soldiers.
10. What choice did Hannibal tell his men was better that slavery?
(a) Bribbing oneself out of prison.
(b) Death or conquest.
11. Where did the tide of the war start to turn for the Roman according to "Cannae"?
12. What did Hannibal want his troops to do to destabilize the Roman army?
(a) Force them out as it was sunny.
(b) Force them out before breakfast.
(c) Force them out during a torrential rain.
(d) Force them out at night.
13. When did the tide of the war start to turn for the Romans according to "Cannae"?
(a) 216 B.C.
(b) 226 B.C.
(c) 206 B.C.
(d) 236 B.C.
14. How were the Romans able to defeat Carthage?
(a) By amassing a larger army.
(b) By ignoring what their training told them.
(c) By learning to fight like Hannibal.
(d) By learning to fight like Greeks.
15. What did Hannibal encourage his soldiers to do?
(b) Take slaves.
(d) Be without mercy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Hannibal avoid Publius Scipio's army?
2. What did Hannibal lose while avoiding the Roman army?
3. How old was Africanus during his first battle against Hannibal?
4. What captive did Hannibal use to teach his troops a lesson?
5. How did Hannibal learn what he knew about the Roman army?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)