|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What hindered Hannibal's army in previous battles against the Romans?
(a) Their slow elephant.
(b) The cold.
(c) The dampness of the ground.
(d) The heat.
2. When did some aggressive Celts attack Hannibal?
(a) Mid October.
(b) Mid December.
(c) Mid Movember.
(d) Mid September.
3. When did the tide of the war start to turn for the Romans according to "Cannae"?
(a) 236 B.C.
(b) 206 B.C.
(c) 226 B.C.
(d) 216 B.C.
4. What great military leader did Hannibal admire and study?
(b) The Chinese emperor.
(c) Alexander the Great.
(d) Genghis Khan.
5. When did the Romans try to annihilate the neighbors they had trouble with?
(a) 212 B.C.
(b) 202 B.C.
(c) 232 B.C.
(d) 222 B.C.
6. When were the soldiers that survived Cannae allowed to return from exile?
7. What was Hannibal willing to take?
8. What did Hannibal lose while avoiding the Roman army?
(a) An arm.
(b) A leg.
(c) A finger.
(d) Sight in one eye.
9. How many soldiers survived with Varro?
10. Where did Hannibal put together his army?
(a) From Gaul.
(b) From Africa.
(c) From Gaul to Italy.
(d) From Spain to Africa.
11. What was Hannibal's army formation like?
(a) A backward letter "L".
(b) A backward letter "P".
(c) A backward letter "C".
(d) A backward letter "B".
12. How many cavalrymen died during the Battle of Cannae?
13. Why were some of the Roman soldiers left behind?
(a) To protect the camp.
(b) To protect their retreat should they need it.
(c) To write down the account of glorious battle after the battle.
(d) As a reserve.
14. How did Hannibal gain the support of the Gauls?
(a) He faked a Roman attack.
(b) He attacked a Gaul tribe, killed the men and boys and raped the women.
(c) He paid them.
(d) He killed their leader and took his place.
15. How many horsemen did Hannibal's army have?
(a) One for every 12 foot soldiers.
(b) One for every 13 foot soldiers.
(c) One for every 15 foot soldiers.
(d) One for every 4 foot soldiers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the tide of the war start to turn for the Roman according to "Cannae"?
2. How did Hannibal avoid Publius Scipio's army?
3. What do some historians call the Second Punic War according to " The Fox and the Hedge-Hog"?
4. How old was Publius Cornelius Scipio during the Battle of Cannae?
5. What followed the pinning of the center of an army in Hannibal's tactics?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)