|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did he tell the slaves the winner of the fight to the death would earn?
(a) The honor to fight for Hannibal.
(b) Freedom, arms and a fast horse.
(d) A quick death.
2. What did Hannibal count on to toughen and train his troops?
(a) Battling small tribes on the way to Italy.
(b) Games during the trip to Italy.
(c) The tough terrain on the way to Italy.
(d) A severe training program.
3. Why did the Battle at Cannae have to come quickly?
(a) Both sides were low on food.
(b) Both side were tired.
(c) Both sides were eager.
(d) Both side wanted to crush the other.
4. How did Hannibal avoid Publius Scipio's army?
(a) By hiding in a tree.
(b) By fleeing at night.
(c) By going through marshes.
(d) By marching faster than Publius did.
5. What hindered Hannibal's army in previous battles against the Romans?
(a) The cold.
(b) Their slow elephant.
(c) The heat.
(d) The dampness of the ground.
6. How many horsemen did the Roman Army have?
(a) Two every 20 foot soldiers.
(b) Two every 13 foot soldiers.
(c) Two every 10 foot soldiers.
(d) Two every 5 foot soldiers.
7. How many soldiers were taken prisoner by Hannibal during the Battle of Cannae?
8. What was established in Hannibal's army during the trip to Italy?
(a) A training program.
(b) A rigid chain of command.
(c) 5 small cities.
(d) An inner group of advisors.
9. What did Hannibal lose while avoiding the Roman army?
(a) Sight in one eye.
(b) A finger.
(c) A leg.
(d) An arm.
10. What language did Hannibal speak besides Carthaginian?
11. What did Africanus do to protect his father?
(a) Round up horsemen.
(b) Round up spearmen.
(c) Round up soldiers.
(d) Round up women.
12. What was Fabius doing while burning structures and supplies?
(a) Tried to crush Hannibal.
(b) Asked for more and more reinforcement.
(c) Detaching a small unit to arrest Hannibal.
(d) Avoided confronting Hannibal.
13. Where did the tide of the war start to turn for the Roman according to "Cannae"?
14. What neighbor did Rome have trouble with?
(a) The Gauls.
(b) The Venetians.
(c) The Celts.
(d) The Greeks.
15. What was Hannibal's army formation like?
(a) A backward letter "C".
(b) A backward letter "B".
(c) A backward letter "L".
(d) A backward letter "P".
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Romans signal their incoming battle?
2. What reputation did Hannibal have, according to some historians?
3. Why were the Roman soldiers reluctant to destroy crops?
4. What did Fabius Maximus figure out about Hannibal?
5. Why did Roman horsemen dismount during the battle?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)