|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do some historians call the Second Punic War according to " The Fox and the Hedge-Hog"?
(a) The first world war of history.
(b) The longest war of Italy.
(c) The first African war.
(d) The last good war of Rome.
2. What reputation did Hannibal have, according to some historians?
(a) A butcher.
(b) A clever man.
(c) A monster.
(d) A good man.
3. How many legionaries died during the Battle of Cannae?
4. How old was Africanus during his first battle against Hannibal?
5. What did Hannibal count on to toughen and train his troops?
(a) A severe training program.
(b) The tough terrain on the way to Italy.
(c) Battling small tribes on the way to Italy.
(d) Games during the trip to Italy.
6. What was the Roman tradition when two armies came to fight together?
(a) The youngest commander took over.
(b) The oldest commander took over.
(c) The commander with the most experience took over.
(d) Each commander was commanding every other day.
7. What great military leader did Hannibal admire and study?
(a) Alexander the Great.
(b) Genghis Khan.
(d) The Chinese emperor.
8. When were the soldiers that survived Cannae allowed to return from exile?
9. What was Hannibal's army formation like?
(a) A backward letter "L".
(b) A backward letter "B".
(c) A backward letter "P".
(d) A backward letter "C".
10. Why were some of the Roman soldiers left behind?
(a) As a reserve.
(b) To protect the camp.
(c) To write down the account of glorious battle after the battle.
(d) To protect their retreat should they need it.
11. What was even more difficult to do than going up icy slopes?
(a) Going down rocky slopes.
(b) Feeding horses.
(c) Taming elephants.
(d) Going down icy slopes.
12. Why did Roman horsemen dismount during the battle?
(a) They were ordred to do so to avoid going to much ahead of the ground force.
(b) They wanted to fight dismounted.
(c) They switch side.
(d) Their general was injured.
13. How many cavalrymen died during the Battle of Cannae?
14. When did Hannibal leave for Italy?
(a) May or June.
(b) April or May.
(c) July or August.
(d) June or July.
15. What did Hannibal do that contradicted his reputation?
(a) He didn't know how to read.
(b) He did not eat meat.
(c) He buried his dead enemies.
(d) He never killed a prisoner.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Fabius doing while burning structures and supplies?
2. How many times did Hannibal marry?
3. When did some aggressive Celts attack Hannibal?
4. What did Hannibal know about the Roman army?
5. What neighbor did Rome have trouble with?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)