|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to old values during the First Turning according to the authors?
(a) People abandon them.
(b) People embrace them.
(c) People improve them.
(d) People change them.
2. What is the most recent second turning according to the authors?
(a) Lack of parenting in the 2000s.
(b) Tax revolts of the early 1980s.
(c) Sitcoms of the 1980s.
(d) Loud clothing of the 1990s.
3. What was the clash of powerful personalities during the beginning of Anglo-American modernity?
(a) The North and the South.
(b) Europe and America.
(c) Wars of the Roses and the Protestant Reformation.
(d) The Allies and the Axis powers.
4. What happened to the Etruscans?
(a) They refused to pay their bills.
(b) The Victorians controlled them.
(c) The Roman Empire replaced them.
(d) They never realized history was cyclical.
5. What happens in 'chaotic time' according to the authors?
(a) History repeats itself.
(b) History has no path.
(c) History brings happiness.
(d) History quickly finishes.
6. How do many historians record cycles?
(d) Birth records.
7. During the First Turning, what was the American family like?
(a) Simple and plain.
(b) Tired and cruel.
(c) Beyond question and suburban.
(d) Broken and spiritless.
8. What was the generational cycle of 1640?
(a) Religious Reform Generation.
(b) John Winthrop's Puritan Generation.
(c) The Queen's Educated Generation.
(d) King George's Tax Generation.
9. What happens during a first turning?
(a) Nomads are born.
(b) Artists become elders.
(c) Elder prophets die.
(d) Heroes are young adults.
10. What do cycles in major cultures share according to the authors?
(a) A change in transportation.
(b) A changing of clothing styles.
(c) They follow several rules.
(d) An idea of a male God.
11. How does each generation experience each period of the cycle?
(a) In harmony and cooperation.
(b) Every second year since its development.
(c) With great discord.
(d) Different but tightly correlated stages of development.
12. Who controlled much of the world during the First Turning?
(a) The GI Generation.
(b) Generation X.
(c) The Silent Generation.
(d) The Lost Generation.
13. What were Jefferson and Reagan considered?
(c) Elder prophets.
14. What comprises the Second Turning according to the authors?
(a) A time period of chaos.
(b) An era of education.
(c) An era of spiritual rebirth.
(d) A time period of drug use.
15. Through what do the cycles require rebirth?
Short Answer Questions
1. How did the Lost Generation treat social life?
2. When does a generation come to be recognized?
3. What did the Silent Generation wear?
4. What do young adults act like in the general cycle of life according to the authors?
5. What do generations do when they pass through a crisis according to the authors?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)