|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The authors say that present day Americans continue to acknowledge what periodic cycle?
(a) Water and its forms.
(c) A Christian cycle of death and rebirth.
(d) Jobs and retirements.
2. In determining a generation, what should one look for according to the authors?
(a) Athletic patterns.
(b) New transportation and styles.
(c) Birth rates.
(d) Common beliefs and behaviors.
3. According to the authors, Americans identify generations by determining what?
(a) The wealth a generation forms.
(b) The length of a generation.
(c) The death from a generation.
(d) The discord within a generation.
4. What happens to civic order during the Second Turning according to the authors?
(a) People question it but remain silent.
(b) It comes under attack from a new system of values.
(c) It is strengthened.
(d) People renew their beliefs in it.
5. What were Jackson, Woodrow Wilson and Colin Powell considered?
(a) Elder prophets.
6. What happens to the New Prophets during the First Turning?
(a) New Prophets gain money.
(b) New Prophets are born.
(c) New Prophets head to the job market.
(d) New Prophets head to college.
7. According to the authors, what have people sought to redefine in the last 150 years?
(a) The concept of the generation.
(b) The way the media reacts to generations.
(c) Family life and how to succeed while protecting it.
(d) Saving money for generations to come.
8. What comprises the Second Turning according to the authors?
(a) A time period of drug use.
(b) An era of spiritual rebirth.
(c) An era of education.
(d) A time period of chaos.
9. What year does the book's introduction address?
10. What is another name for a 'gray champion'?
(a) A formerly black champion.
(b) A saluki.
(c) An elder prophet.
(d) A deceased leader.
11. What are examples of social indicators?
(a) Death rate.
(b) Clothing styles.
(c) Transportation means.
(d) Wage growth and political activism.
12. Eventually, what happens to circular cycles?
(a) They bore people.
(b) They become stronger.
(c) They disappear.
(d) They have a moment of discontinuity.
13. What happened to the Etruscans?
(a) They never realized history was cyclical.
(b) They refused to pay their bills.
(c) The Roman Empire replaced them.
(d) The Victorians controlled them.
14. How does each generation experience each period of the cycle?
(a) Every second year since its development.
(b) In harmony and cooperation.
(c) With great discord.
(d) Different but tightly correlated stages of development.
15. When was the Silent Generation born?
(a) Present day.
(b) 40s adn 50s.
(c) 50s and 60s.
(d) The 30s and 40s.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do children do in the general cycle of life according to the authors?
2. How do generations behave with the concept of 'acting according to your season' according to the authors?
3. How did the Lost Generation treat social life?
4. What purpose does the Nomads' exhaustion from revolutionary change have?
5. How do generations often define themselves according to the authors?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)