|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Eventually, what happens to circular cycles?
(a) They become stronger.
(b) They disappear.
(c) They have a moment of discontinuity.
(d) They bore people.
2. What is a 'saeculum' according to the authors?
(a) The most recent cycle.
(b) The despair in communities.
(c) A utopia.
(d) A history that people ignore.
3. What do midlifers do in the general cycle of life according to the authors?
(a) Wield power.
(b) Look toward retirement.
(c) Raise children.
(d) Increase religious study.
4. What did the Silent Generation wear?
(a) Expensive clothing.
(c) Gray flannel suit.
(d) Loud colors and makeup.
5. How do many historians record cycles?
(c) Birth records.
6. How does the archetypal pattern begin?
(a) Old Prophets lose their jobs to the youth.
(b) Old Prophets write history.
(c) Old Prophets die.
(d) Future old Prophets are born.
7. What happens to civic order during the Second Turning according to the authors?
(a) It is strengthened.
(b) People question it but remain silent.
(c) People renew their beliefs in it.
(d) It comes under attack from a new system of values.
8. How is Arnold Toynbee's cycle characterized?
(a) Marriage and divorce.
(b) Wealth and poverty.
(c) Happiness and despair.
(d) War and peace.
9. When a time period produces a revolutionary change, what stage are the 'children'?
10. What do children do in the general cycle of life according to the authors?
11. What was the generational cycle of 1600?
(a) Religious and Arts Appreciation Generation.
(b) Roman Countrymen Generation.
(c) Wheatley's Philosophical Generation.
(d) Shakespeare's Elizabethan Generation.
12. What do cycles in major cultures share according to the authors?
(a) They follow several rules.
(b) A change in transportation.
(c) An idea of a male God.
(d) A changing of clothing styles.
13. When a time period produces a revolutionary change, what stage are the 'nomads'?
(b) Young adults.
14. What happens during a third turning?
(a) Artists become elders.
(b) Nomads are born.
(c) Heroes are young adults.
(d) Elder prophets die.
15. When was Generation X discovered?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a gray champion tell about a time period?
2. When is the cycle of archetypes formed according to the authors?
3. What comprises the Third Turning according to the authors?
4. What did the Etruscans know?
5. How do Americans view the First Turning according to the authors?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)