|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a string becomes wrapped, which of its properties increases?
(a) Its spin.
(b) Its amplitude.
(c) Its energy.
(d) Its wavelength.
2. What is one of the difficulties in determining the shape of the Calabi-Yau space?
(a) There are an infinite number of unknowns in its governing equation.
(b) The shape has an unequal number of real and imaginary dimensions.
(c) No field of mathematics exists to support it.
(d) The equations governing its shape are too complex.
3. What metric best approximates the scales at which extra dimensions would have a major impact?
(a) The Planck length.
(b) The nanometer.
(c) The Kaluza length.
(d) One-billionth of a meter.
4. Kaluza-Klein theory units which two fundamental forces?
(a) The strong force and the weak force.
(b) Gravity and electromagnetism.
(c) Electromagnetism and the weak force.
(d) Gravity and the strong force.
5. What is the traditional method of testing theories in physics?
(b) Mathematical proof.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Stephen Hawking prove regarding black holes?
2. What does the string coupling constant govern?
3. Which of the following methods has been used to determine the shape of the Calabi-Yau space?
4. The extra dimension or dimensions in M-theory are needed in order to incorporate _____.
5. Why are the extra dimensions needed in string theory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the strong-weak duality?
2. Describe the state of the universe's expansion, including what its ultimate fate might be.
3. What is the string-coupling constant, and why is it important?
4. What is the origin of M-theory, and what are its basic characteristics?
5. What is the Calabi-Yau space?
6. What is mirror symmetry, and what is its relevance to string theory?
7. Describe the big bang according to string theory.
8. Describe the history of space-time tears in physics.
9. What is the major difference between the big bang with and without string theory?
10. What is a virtual string pair, and how is it formed?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)