|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Twelve, Beyond Strings, In Search of M-Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Regarding mirror-symmetry, Greene's work proved that _____.
(a) It is invalid.
(b) It is only valid under special circumstances.
(c) It occurs only below the Planck length.
(d) It is a part of string theory.
2. According to Newton's law of gravity, the strength of the pull between two objects depends on what factors?
(a) The distance between them and their average atomic numbers.
(b) Their densities and the strength of the gravitational field they occupy.
(c) Their masses and the distance between them.
(d) Their masses and potential energies.
3. If a clock were accelerated to nearly the speed of light for a year's time, which of the following would be true of its reading at the end of that time?
(a) Its reading would be random and meaningless.
(b) It would be more than one year.
(c) It would be exactly equal to one year.
(d) It would be less than one year.
4. Which of the follow is true of objects with which string theory is concerned?
(a) The objects are purely imaginary.
(b) They include strings and other objects as well.
(c) It concerns one-dimensional strings and nothing else.
(d) They are all really Calabi-Yau shapes.
5. Which of the following accurately describes the phenomenon of "quantum tunneling"?
(a) Particles can sometimes "borrow" energy to move in ways impossible in classical physics.
(b) High-energy waves can penetrate the fabric of space-time for very short periods of time.
(c) Some particles are linked together, no matter how much space separates them.
(d) Particles with high energy can vanish in one location, instantly appearing in another.
Short Answer Questions
1. String theory claims that super particles _____.
2. Which of the following is true regarding experimental confirmation of string theory?
3. How are the amplitude of a string's vibration and the mass of the particle it represents related?
4. Kaluza-Klein theory units which two fundamental forces?
5. What is strong-weak duality?
This section contains 429 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)