|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Twelve, Beyond Strings, In Search of M-Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is true regarding tears in space time occurring in normal three-dimensional space?
(a) It has been proven that they can occur.
(b) Such tears have been observed in particle accelerators.
(c) They cannot occur.
(d) It is unknown whether or not they can occur.
2. At what scale of length is quantum geometry necessitated?
(a) Cosmological scales.
(c) The Riemann scale.
(d) The Planck length.
3. How many family groups are the elementary particles divided into?
4. How are the wavelength of a string's vibration and the mass of the particle it represents related?
(a) If there is a wavelength above the Planck length, the particle is massless.
(b) Wavelength and mass are not related.
(c) The longer the wavelength, the more massive the particle.
(d) The longer the wavelength, the less massive the particle.
5. Edwin Hubble used Einstein's theories to show that the fabric of the universe _____.
(a) Is uniform in all places and times.
(b) Has a finite boundary.
(c) Is not flat, it is curved, either inwards or outwards.
(d) Is not static, it must either be shrinking or expanding.
Short Answer Questions
1. The smallest possible unit of energy is referred to as _____.
2. Which of the following is not one of the four fundamental forces of the universe?
3. Quantum chromodynamics concerns quantum mechanics and ____.
4. What is one of the difficulties in determining the shape of the Calabi-Yau space?
5. What is the photoelectric effect?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)