|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Twelve, Beyond Strings, In Search of M-Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic of the string determines the properties of the particle it represents?
(a) Its frequency of vibration.
(b) The number of other strings with which it is threaded.
(c) Its length.
(d) Its mass.
2. According to special relativity, which of the following can move faster than light?
(a) Gravitational waves.
(b) Nothing can move faster than light.
(c) Quantum data.
3. Regarding mirror-symmetry, Greene's work proved that _____.
(a) It is only valid under special circumstances.
(b) It occurs only below the Planck length.
(c) It is a part of string theory.
(d) It is invalid.
4. Which of the follow best describes a boson?
(a) The super-partner of a proton.
(b) A particle of energy, a messenger particle for a force.
(c) The supersymmetric version of a proton.
(d) A particle of matter.
5. What characteristic did Werner Heisenberg discovered that some features of the universe at very small scales, and some properties of particle?
(a) They can change spontaneously, with no external influence.
(b) They are dependant on the velocity of the object being studied.
(c) They cannot be known with complete precision.
(d) They always increase or decrease by certain increments.
Short Answer Questions
1. Riemannian geometry describes the following objects: _____.
2. Einstein's equation, E=mc^2, states that which of the following are equivalent?
3. Quantum chromodynamics concerns quantum mechanics and ____.
4. Why are the fluctuations that quantum physics predicts not observable in everyday life?
5. Which of the following was the first string theory?
This section contains 293 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)