|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Twelve, Beyond Strings, In Search of M-Theory.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the traditional method of testing theories in physics?
(c) Mathematical proof.
2. Regarding mirror-symmetry, Greene's work proved that _____.
(a) It occurs only below the Planck length.
(b) It is invalid.
(c) It is a part of string theory.
(d) It is only valid under special circumstances.
3. What discovery was made that incorporated gravitational force into quantum mechanics via string theory?
(a) A vibrational pattern with the properties of the graviton was discovered.
(b) At extremely small scales, gravity is fused with the strong force.
(c) Gravity was found to be supersymmetric.
(d) Gravity could be made symmetric only if the graviton is a string.
4. According to string theory, why do different particles have different properties?
(a) Their strings do not have the same number of dimensions.
(b) Their strings are vibrating in different patterns.
(c) They have different types of strings.
(d) Their strings are different lengths.
5. If a clock were accelerated to nearly the speed of light for a year's time, which of the following would be true of its reading at the end of that time?
(a) It would be more than one year.
(b) Its reading would be random and meaningless.
(c) It would be less than one year.
(d) It would be exactly equal to one year.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is different about a particle of antimatter, compared to its normal counterpart?
2. Which of the follow is true of objects with which string theory is concerned?
3. What is the quantum, or messenger particle, of the strong force?
4. Which one of the following do physicists believe occurs at the central point of a black hole?
5. Black holes are dense and massive cosmological bodies. What unique distinction do they have?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)