|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Seven, The Super in Superstring.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fundamental force responsible for keeping the nucleus of an atom "glued" together?
(a) Potential electrical force.
(b) The nuclear-strong force.
(c) Quantum-tunneling force.
(d) Gravitational force.
2. Who discovered the theory of general relativity?
(a) Albert Einstein.
(b) Max Planck.
(c) Isaac Newton.
(d) Richard Feynman.
3. Which of the follow best describes a boson?
(a) The supersymmetric version of a proton.
(b) A particle of energy, a messenger particle for a force.
(c) The super-partner of a proton.
(d) A particle of matter.
4. What does the quantum electroweak theory state about the two fundamental forces it describes?
(a) They only interact at the Planck length and below.
(b) In four-dimensional space, they are the same thing.
(c) At extreme energy and temperature conditions, they become the same thing.
(d) They are identical at quantum scales.
5. According to general relativity, all objects that have mass have what effect on space-time?
(a) They fold space-time as they move past one another.
(b) They stretch space-time for other very distant objects.
(c) They tear space-time when they travel at near-light speeds.
(d) They warp space-time around them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the shape of all particles, at the smallest possible level, according to string theory?
2. Which of the following best describes a fermion?
3. Which of the following theory was NOT developed in order to try to resolve the conflicts between quantum mechanics and general relativity?
4. What is the photoelectric effect?
5. What is the quantum, or messenger particle, of the strong force?
This section contains 321 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)