|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Seven, The Super in Superstring.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes a fermion?
(a) The supersymmetric version of a proton.
(b) A messenger particle for a force.
(c) A particle of matter.
(d) The super-partner of a proton.
2. In 1968 it was discovered that protons and neutrons are composed of which type of particle?
3. According to Newton's theory of gravity, if two objects have a gravitational pull on one another, and one changes its mass or distance from the other, how quickly does the effect of this change travel to the other object?
(a) Near the speed of light, faster for lighter objects.
(b) At exactly the speed of light.
(c) Near the speed of light, faster for more massive objects.
4. Which of the following is true of a particle's spin?
(a) It increases with each interaction with a particle of greater spin.
(b) It depends on the strength of the local magnetic field.
(c) It is constant for that particle.
(d) It changes depending on the particle's energy.
5. What rule did Max Planck discover the electromagnetic waves bounded in a container, such as an oven, must follow?
(a) The frequencies of the waves must all be the same.
(b) The energies of all waves inside the over must cancel out to zero.
(c) They must have a whole number of peaks and troughs that fit perfectly inside the container.
(d) There must be an even number of peaks and troughs.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to special relativity, which of the following can move faster than light?
2. What is different about a particle of antimatter, compared to its normal counterpart?
3. What is quantum foam?
4. Einstein's equation, E=mc^2, states that which of the following are equivalent?
5. What is the result when a particle of matter and a particle of antimatter are brought into contact?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)