|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Of Warps and Ripples.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Newton's law of gravity, the strength of the pull between two objects depends on what factors?
(a) Their masses and potential energies.
(b) Their masses and the distance between them.
(c) Their densities and the strength of the gravitational field they occupy.
(d) The distance between them and their average atomic numbers.
2. According to special relativity, which of the following can move faster than light?
(b) Gravitational waves.
(c) Nothing can move faster than light.
(d) Quantum data.
3. According to general relativity, the change that an object causes in the fabric of space-time depends directly on _____.
(a) Its direction compared to the observer.
(b) Its proximity to another massive body.
(c) Its density.
(d) Its mass.
4. Black holes are dense and massive cosmological bodies. What unique distinction do they have?
(a) They are the only objects that emit gamma rays.
(b) They are the only types of stars that can produce uranium and heavier elements.
(c) Light cannot escape their gravitational well.
(d) Neutrinos always flow towards them.
5. What characteristic of the string determines the properties of the particle it represents?
(a) The number of other strings with which it is threaded.
(b) Its frequency of vibration.
(c) Its mass.
(d) Its length.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to general relativity, which of the following is said to warp or bend space-time?
2. According to general relativity, all objects that have mass have what effect on space-time?
3. Which of the following did Einstein considered time?
4. Edwin Hubble used Einstein's theories to show that the fabric of the universe _____.
5. What is the shape of all particles, at the smallest possible level, according to string theory?
This section contains 374 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)