|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3, Of Warps and Ripples.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to special relativity, which of the following is true about the passage of time for an observer moving near the speed of light?
(a) Time would pass very quickly compared to an observer at rest.
(b) No time would pass at all.
(c) Time would pass slowly compared to an observer at rest.
(d) The passage of time could not be predicted.
2. In 1968 it was discovered that protons and neutrons are composed of which type of particle?
3. According to Newton's theory of gravity, if two objects have a gravitational pull on one another, and one changes its mass or distance from the other, how quickly does the effect of this change travel to the other object?
(a) Near the speed of light, faster for more massive objects.
(b) At exactly the speed of light.
(d) Near the speed of light, faster for lighter objects.
4. Which of the following is not one of the four fundamental forces of the universe?
(a) The nuclear-weak force.
(c) The photoelectric force.
(d) The electromagnetic force.
5. According to general relativity, all objects that have mass have what effect on space-time?
(a) They stretch space-time for other very distant objects.
(b) They tear space-time when they travel at near-light speeds.
(c) They fold space-time as they move past one another.
(d) They warp space-time around them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic of the string determines the properties of the particle it represents?
2. What is different about a particle of antimatter, compared to its normal counterpart?
3. General relativity is incompatible with _____.
4. How can black holes be detected?
5. If a clock were accelerated to nearly the speed of light for a year's time, which of the following would be true of its reading at the end of that time?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)