|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Thirteen, Black Holes, A String/M Theory Perspective.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. General relativity is incompatible with _____.
(a) The big bang theory.
(b) Quantum mechanics.
(c) State theory.
(d) The photoelectric effect.
2. In M-theory, what role does duality play?
(a) It shows that the five theories are connected.
(b) It helps to incorporate general relativity.
(c) It allows space-tearing flop transitions to extend into extra dimensions.
(d) It links electromagnetism and gravity.
3. Einstein's equation, E=mc^2, states that which of the following are equivalent?
(a) Energy and light.
(b) Electricity and magnetism.
(c) Energy and mass.
(d) Light and magnetism.
4. The smallest possible unit of energy is referred to as _____.
(a) A quantum.
(b) A quark.
(c) A photon.
(d) A muon.
5. Which one of the following do physicists believe occurs at the central point of a black hole?
(a) Space-time becomes inverted.
(b) A "white hole" is formed.
(c) An infinite-time flop-transition occurs.
(d) Space-time is torn.
Short Answer Questions
1. Regarding mirror-symmetry, Greene's work proved that _____.
2. The number of family groups corresponds to a feature of the Calabi-Yau shape. What is this feature?
3. When a Calabi-Yau space collapses, it comes back as a space. What distinction does it have?
4. Which of the following is a correct statement, based on the theory of special relativity?
5. Which of the following is true regarding experimental evidence for super particles?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)