|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Thirteen, Black Holes, A String/M Theory Perspective.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Black holes are dense and massive cosmological bodies. What unique distinction do they have?
(a) They are the only objects that emit gamma rays.
(b) They are the only types of stars that can produce uranium and heavier elements.
(c) Neutrinos always flow towards them.
(d) Light cannot escape their gravitational well.
2. Quantum physics began with the study of the energy inside a heated, closed container, such as an oven. The problem with theories at the time was that they predicted that _____.
(a) The oven can store more energy the smaller it is.
(b) The oven can only store energy if it has no mass.
(c) The oven contains no energy.
(d) The oven contains infinite energy.
3. What is the fundamental force responsible for keeping the nucleus of an atom "glued" together?
(a) Potential electrical force.
(b) Quantum-tunneling force.
(c) Gravitational force.
(d) The nuclear-strong force.
4. According to modern physics, which of the following may cease to exist at the center of a black hole?
5. What type of motion cannot be felt or sensed by the moving observer?
(a) Orbital movement around a star.
(b) Accelerating movement.
(c) Constant-velocity movement.
(d) Slowing or decelerating movement.
Short Answer Questions
1. The method of tearing space-time discovered by Greene and others is called _____.
2. What is a virtual string pair?
3. What distinction does dark matter have?
4. In the 1800s, James Clerk Maxwell used a new mathematical framework to unite _____.
5. At what scale of length is quantum geometry necessitated?
This section contains 330 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)