|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Thirteen, Black Holes, A String/M Theory Perspective.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fundamental particle, the smallest possible bundle of energy, for the electromagnetic force?
(a) The photon.
(b) The gluon.
(c) The electron.
(d) The neutrino.
2. What characteristic of the string determines the properties of the particle it represents?
(a) Its frequency of vibration.
(b) Its mass.
(c) The number of other strings with which it is threaded.
(d) Its length.
3. Kaluza-Klein theory units which two fundamental forces?
(a) The strong force and the weak force.
(b) Gravity and the strong force.
(c) Electromagnetism and the weak force.
(d) Gravity and electromagnetism.
4. What is supergravity?
(a) The gravitational conditions inside a black hole.
(b) The gravitational force felt at the Planck scale.
(c) A combination of general relativity and supersymmetry.
(d) The relativistic effect of two particles occupying the same location.
5. When a black hole's entropy increases, which of its characteristics increases as well?
(a) Its spin.
(b) Its electrical charge.
(c) Its nuclear-weak force charge.
(d) The surface area of its event horizon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the quantum electroweak theory state about the two fundamental forces it describes?
2. The method of tearing space-time discovered by Greene and others is called _____.
3. Which team of researchers discovered the process for altering Calabi-Yau spaces by rupturing them?
4. Two theories form the basis of modern physics, but are incompatible with one another. String theory attempts to reconcile these fields. What are these two theories?
5. According to string theory, which of the following cannot occur during the collapse of the universe?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)