|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter Thirteen, Black Holes, A String/M Theory Perspective.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What characteristic of the string determines the properties of the particle it represents?
(a) Its length.
(b) The number of other strings with which it is threaded.
(c) Its mass.
(d) Its frequency of vibration.
2. Which of the follow best describes a boson?
(a) A particle of matter.
(b) A particle of energy, a messenger particle for a force.
(c) The supersymmetric version of a proton.
(d) The super-partner of a proton.
3. What metric best approximates the scales at which extra dimensions would have a major impact?
(a) The Kaluza length.
(b) One-billionth of a meter.
(c) The nanometer.
(d) The Planck length.
4. The advent of fermionic vibrational patterns resulted in the creation of _____.
(a) Supersymmetric quantum field theory.
(b) Fermionic resonance theory.
(c) Quantum electroweak theory.
(d) Symmetric antistring theory.
5. What is supergravity?
(a) The relativistic effect of two particles occupying the same location.
(b) The gravitational conditions inside a black hole.
(c) A combination of general relativity and supersymmetry.
(d) The gravitational force felt at the Planck scale.
Short Answer Questions
1. In M-theory, what is a two-dimensional oscillating object is called?
2. Which of the following is NOT a property that is used to define both black holes and elementary particles?
3. What type of a wave is light?
4. Einstein's equation, E=mc^2, states that which of the following are equivalent?
5. What is quantum foam?
This section contains 278 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)